TTORA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wondering if any of you have swapped in seats from any other cars/trucks? I've heard Celica seats come close to bolting right in, anybody done that? There's a guy on Ih8mud who put in some seats out of a Saab, which I dig (I had one and know them to be comfortable)...

So who's done what? This isn't on my short list of things to do or anything (mas poor these days), but I might grab some seats if I saw a good deal come my way...

Then I'd just have to figure out what to do with them.... :welder:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
618 Posts
2000 Volvo S40 seats have the same width rails. All you need to do is drill out the rivits and mount your taco seat rails in place. Most of them have optional seat warmers which is nice (and your taco come prewired for that....look under the carpet). I know i guy whos done it, i will see if i can get him to send some pics.

Drew

P.S. the Volvo grey and tan, are EXTREMELY close to the tacoma grey and tan, so the leather matches.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
503 Posts
BLOWNYOTa said:
2000 Volvo S40 seats have the same width rails. All you need to do is drill out the rivits and mount your taco seat rails in place. Most of them have optional seat warmers which is nice (and your taco come prewired for that....look under the carpet). I know i guy whos done it, i will see if i can get him to send some pics.

Drew

P.S. the Volvo grey and tan, are EXTREMELY close to the tacoma grey and tan, so the leather matches.
What do you use to control the seat warmers if the truck is pre wired? Where is the switch?

Chris
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Drew, my last Volvo was a '78 wagon, is the S40 a coupe by any chance? I figure seats out of a two door are best, as I have an extra cab and like to put stuff in the back.

Thanks for the tip on sizing..does MY taco come wired for seat warmers (its a 97)?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
185 Posts
ianshoots said:
Drew, my last Volvo was a '78 wagon, is the S40 a coupe by any chance? I figure seats out of a two door are best, as I have an extra cab and like to put stuff in the back.

Thanks for the tip on sizing..does MY taco come wired for seat warmers (its a 97)?

I was wondering the same thing about the first gen tacos - I dont think they offered a limited trim with the 1st gens so I would be suprised if they were pre-wired like the later models
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
618 Posts
CMB1998 said:
What do you use to control the seat warmers if the truck is pre wired? Where is the switch?

Chris
If i remember correctly the warmer controller is actually on the seat itself, so just wire it up to the wire underneath the carpet....12V if yours doesn't have a wire.

ianshoots said:
Drew, my last Volvo was a '78 wagon, is the S40 a coupe by any chance? I figure seats out of a two door are best, as I have an extra cab and like to put stuff in the back.

Thanks for the tip on sizing..does MY taco come wired for seat warmers (its a 97)?

Yeah the seats were out of a 2 door, as for your truck having the wiring, i would assume so, my friends 98 had the same wiring under the seat, as my 2001. I run my power recaro off of that same line with no problems, so i would assume that the Volovo seat would be just fine. its off of the 30AMP fuse on the lower dash fuse box.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks again Drew-that doubles my options as far as looking for seats...

Hey Godwin-there are some seats out of a Saab 9-3 convertible (grey leather) for sale on ebay-they are in NYC; too far for me, but might work out for you....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
185 Posts
ianshoots said:
Thanks again Drew-that doubles my options as far as looking for seats...

Hey Godwin-there are some seats out of a Saab 9-3 convertible (grey leather) for sale on ebay-they are in NYC; too far for me, but might work out for you....
Thanks Ian! I will check those out....

BLOWNYOTa said:
as for your truck having the wiring, i would assume so, my friends 98 had the same wiring under the seat
Well the 98 is a second gen and I think the limited trim was offered then - hence the pre-wiring - - - I'm not sure th 95.5-97s were pre-wired
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
984 Posts
For some links to writeups, check my Seat Installation article in the Tech Section over at customtacos.com. The hard part is the mount, not the seat. Closest fits will be seats from the Toyota family (Celicas, etc.), which will often get you 3 of 4 bolt holes 'as is'. As long as you're willing to fab the brackets / bases, you can install almost anything that'll physically fit... If you go for powered seats, take the time to research the power requirements / loads so you get the wiring right the first time...
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,997 Posts
ianshoots said:
I'm wondering if any of you have swapped in seats from any other cars/trucks? I've heard Celica seats come close to bolting right in, anybody done that? There's a guy on Ih8mud who put in some seats out of a Saab, which I dig (I had one and know them to be comfortable)...
I put Celica seats in my rig. They are way comfy compared to the stock 60/40 crap thing I had.

I followed what some of the other guys around here did, and spaced them up about an inch and welded the stock feet to the bottom of the spacers.

Later,
....Mike
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
357 Posts
ianshoots said:
is the S40 a coupe by any chance?
Since I'm swedish, I can let you know that S40 is only available as a 4 door. The only Volvo 2 door is the C70 Coupe. I also love SAAB seats, I wonder how much of a pain that transplant would be... Not to mention cost and ease of finding a donor vehicle.

Does Recaro or anyone else make a version that fits the Tacoma rails like the stock seat?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Absolut, price-wise it seems that on ebay a pair of Saab front seats can be had for 2-300 dollars, the trick is finding some close enought to avoid doubling the price when you pay for shipping.

Below is what dmc, an Ih8mud.com member and tacoma owner gave me in regards to putting them in his (for sale, or at least it was) '97.:


"some pics are posted in this thread

http://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=34115

i might have a few more somewhere on my machine of the brackets. i just cut the feet of the bench sliders and bolted them to the saab rails."


He said the they fit fine, he has a tuffy console, though I thought I would try and find one from a tacoma or 4-runner with buckets (I have a 60/40 pain device).

Also, Like Mike said, lifting the seats is supposed to help a lot, even on stock seats; a cheap solution that I might try (when it gets warmer) until I get around the scoring fancy buckets...

Rojo22, how are the solara seats?

Lastly, EnolaGaia, you are near Cinci, right? I'm in the Dayton area, I wonder I could check out your seats (whole truck for that matter) next time i am down there?

Thanks for all the good responses everyone.
Ian
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
92 Posts
The solara seat are a 100% improvement over the 60/40 set up i had. I love that they have lumbar support and the drivers side is powered.
L8R
Roger
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
984 Posts
absolut taco said:
... Does Recaro or anyone else make a version that fits the Tacoma rails like the stock seat?
Recaro offers their factory brackets for early Toy trucks. For later Tacos you have to go to Wedge Engineering. König, Sparco, and Corbeau offer mounting brackets for putting their seats in Tacos as well.

In any of these cases, you'll be needing sliders as well. Taco seats are odd in that the actual base / slider is split into two pieces - one on each side - integrated into the seat assembly. In other words, there's no 'separate' base. This is why a common approach to transplanting seats from other Toyota vehicles is to graft the new seats' uppers (side pieces / sliders) onto the Taco lowers....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
357 Posts
ianshoots said:
Thanks for the link. Those seats look awesome. The problem is, if you get seats from a 4 door they don't flip forward like my stock x-cab seats do. You have to use the (often) slow back adjustment wheel or power button. I wonder if Saab 9-3 coupe or convertible would fit. Love his skull t-case shifter as well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
207 Posts
check out my cardomain link, and look on page 3. there are a couple pics of my seats. they are out of a dodge neon. any questions?? just ask. i'll help they best i can. good luck.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
absolut taco said:
Thanks for the link. Those seats look awesome. The problem is, if you get seats from a 4 door they don't flip forward like my stock x-cab seats do. You have to use the (often) slow back adjustment wheel or power button. I wonder if Saab 9-3 coupe or convertible would fit. Love his skull t-case shifter as well.
He doesn't show them flipped forward, but I bet thats what he's got-its what I'll get, no point in messing with seats form a sedan. I figure 9-3 seats would be good, but also seats from the older version of that model, the 900, which is what I had. It had pretty good seats AND the older ones are more likely to be manual, which might be good in terms of keeping things simple in the install. There's another set from a 9-3 convertible on ebay right now, its on the east coast, boston, I think (Godwin are you listening?).
I check ebay for them periodically, I suppose I should make it "favorite search" so I can get back to the porn sooner.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
618 Posts
absolut taco said:
Since I'm swedish, I can let you know that S40 is only available as a 4 door. The only Volvo 2 door is the C70 Coupe. I also love SAAB seats, I wonder how much of a pain that transplant would be... Not to mention cost and ease of finding a donor vehicle.

Does Recaro or anyone else make a version that fits the Tacoma rails like the stock seat?
Im Lithauanian....its good i have a sweedish guy on our side....:xrocker:

I have a Recaro in my truck, and it fits like a glove. SERIOUS upgrade in driving comfort and position. I will try and post some pics later. I recived the mounts from a company called ON-TRACK prefomance. I did have a little problem with thier customer service, but nothing worth flaming them for.
http://www.recaro-seats.com/
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I know Recaro's are real nice, probably real expensive too. I figure my best bet is scoring something out of a luxury coupe/convertible, probably when someone with one moves up to Recaro. Does On-track have website?
 
1 - 20 of 52 Posts
Top