TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of sending in my Used set of Adjustable Coilover SAW's to get Rebuilt by SAW in CA. Anyone done it before? What am I looking at as far as cost and turn around? I am not in a hurry but if I were I'd hope that they are quick about it.
Price is my main concern!

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
One of the guys here in Ga had his done by them. Ill see if i caint round him up and see what charges and how long it too.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
It's not going to be cheap and you can pretty much do the work yourself. There is a write up on www.bajataco.com that I used when I had my SAWS. Follow the instructions and you are golden.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
It really depends on how hard you are on them. I had mine for two years and rebuilt them after about a year and a half of some hard wheeling. You should be fine.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
i have no clue about rebuilting the coilovers...um where do u get the nitrogen recharge? like any off-roading shop? still learning about coilover systems...thanks

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Any dirt bike shop should have the nitrogen, and as far as the coilovers being hard to rebuild, just make sure you have your parts prior to tearing everything apart and then give yourself a day to do it. I did mine in one weekend, took it down to the dirtbike shop on Sunday and I was back on the road by Monday. Just take your time my young padowinne jedi.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
STOMPER said:
One of the guys here in Ga had his done by them. Ill see if i caint round him up and see what charges and how long it too.
That'd be awesome. Thanks. I'd like to know what I'm in for before I send them in. I may have to attempt the re-build myself.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
04RedLobster said:
how offten do you have to rebuit coilovers in general...i'm thinking about getting donahoe or camburgs...
Get the Hoes. I believe they utilize a 2" valve body. They should handle Heat build-up well and prevent the fluid from breaking down sooner than smaller valve bodied shocks llike the SAW's.

·
Going John Galt
31,843 Posts
04RedLobster said:
that rebuilt on that web looks really hard!! lol...i think i would need help if i every need to rebuilt a coilover
with normal wear and tear a quality coilover system will outlast OE shocks/coils. Unless you do a lot of desert racing and high-speed dirt-roading you won't have to worry about them for quite some time.

·
Registered
4 Posts
SAW rebuld

I bought a used set off of ebay. One of them needed to rebuilt. I had a heck of a time with it. I could not get it apart, and finally had to put a pipe wrench on the shaft to do it. When I got it back together, I checked every motorcycle shop in the area, and no one had nitrogen. I finally found it at a hydraulic repair place, and it cost me $35 for the charge.

Now, in fairness, the thing was trashed. If you have a set that are still working, yours will probably be easier. Good luck!

·
225 Posts
04RedLobster said:
how offten do you have to rebuit coilovers in general...i'm thinking about getting donahoe or camburgs...

You wont need to EVER rebuild a Donahoe Coil-over. Its the only one on the market has a Lifetime Guarantee, even against sagging.... If it ever leaks we fix it... no questions asked...if the spring ever sags we replace it... period. Just something to think about. the only thing we dont cover is finish... rocks, sand, salt and snow tend to kill the looks over the years... After 10 years it might not be as shinny, But it will NEVER fail.

·
225 Posts
BornOnFire said:
Get the Hoes. I believe they utilize a 2" valve body. They should handle Heat build-up well and prevent the fluid from breaking down sooner than smaller valve bodied shocks llike the SAW's.
Actually its a 2.5" body

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Rebuilding suspension can be fun and easy once you get the hang of it, thankfully with trucks things are built tough enough that it doesn't have to be done every other weekend.

·
Registered
119 Posts
BornOnFire said:
I am thinking of sending in my Used set of Adjustable Coilover SAW's to get Rebuilt by SAW in CA. Anyone done it before? What am I looking at as far as cost and turn around? I am not in a hurry but if I were I'd hope that they are quick about it.
I talked to Ryan Shimp over at SAW not to long ago about rebuilting my mine. He said it would be around $60 I think, I lost the email from him.

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
BornOnFire said:
I'm not sure on the cost, turn around is usualy only a couple of days.. but if you have some basic mech skills, they are real easy to do yourself, the hard part is finding a place to recharge them if you don't have nitro.. I rebuilt my old 2.0's myself in an hour or so after cooking the oil (4-5 hours at 50+ through Death Valley back roads...more than once.. you should have seen the rancho 9000's, they were too hot to touch!!) and is alot cheaper than the shipping, etc.. All you need is the seal kit and shock oil, unless you need to replace any other parts like the heim joint or bushings..

1 - 20 of 27 Posts