TTORA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Wheeler Wannabe
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious as to if anyone has a Tundra here or knows someone who has one? What's your overall impressions? What are you getting MPG wise? I read so many different variations it's not even funny (granted, there are a lot of variables). I've heard as low as 13mpg in mixed driving to as high as 17-18mpg mixed driving (both 4wd ACs).

·
Wheeler Wannabe
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
rocktoy87 said:
Got the white one that i toe my truck with. LOVE it, towes real nice, good mileage. get about 18 on the highway. towing about 15. ill be up there on sat if you have any questions.
Sorry, I won't be there on sat, but thanks for the info. What's the specs? Year? AC or DC? 4wd?

·
Wheeler Wannabe
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
rocktoy said:
Guy at work has one. When I was asking about it he said roughly 13 normal driving. He doesnt tow with it so no clue there.
Thanks for the info. I've heard that number reported several times, and for as much as I would be driving it, I wouldn't be satisfied. A bit offtopic, but I assume you trailer your rig? What's your tow rig?

·
Registered
965 Posts
Yeah I tow. I ahve a 2002 dodge ram1500 4x4with a 4.7L. Gets the job done but I hate it. Gets around 13 DD and 10 towing and its a pig no matter what. I work on this pile o junk more than my trail rig. I been looking into tundra's and Titans alot. I dont need a 3/4ton truck since my junk dont weigh more than 3000lbs fully loaded with me in it currently.

·
Wheeler Wannabe
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Eric, are you considering the new 07 Tundras or the older? Would you ever consider an Chevy? I have mixed feelings about them (although I like them better than Ford and Dodge as far as "domestics" are concerned).

I've considered an 05 Sivlerado 1500 (I know..it's blasphemy ;) ). I've driven my brother in laws 1500 (5.3) and it rides very very nice. Plenty of low end grunt and yet cruising at 65mph you're at ~1800RPM, and he consistantly gets 16mpg mixed and 19mpg highway. I know you don't buy a truck for the mileage (although it is a pretty big consideration in my opinion), but I'm always going to be leary of reliability issues with GM. I don't buy new vehicles every three years...I like to keep them, so honestly if GM had the proven track record that Toyota has I would seriously consider a chevy, but who knows.

·
Registered
965 Posts
I'll be looking for something new most likely. Either a import fullsize or a 3/4ton dodge.

Problem is being a mechanic I see all the stuff all companies do and have problems with.

My boss love's his avalanche but he doesnt tow with it. He hasnt had problems with his. I have 2 friends which have GM's one a 1500 and one a 2500 and both love them. Again they dont tow :rolleyes: I'd consider buying a GM but it would have a warranty since they had alot of dumb problems not unlike others.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
The tundra is a 4x4, 2.5 lift, DD is highway and ave around 17-18, but I also have a cap on it. Dont know about around town still drive my rig for that. I usually drive sensable, 70 ish its an 02, had for almost 3 yrs. I love it, take it to Assateague in the summer, tow a pop-up and my rig with it with NO problems so far, Only maint. has been front rotors and oil changes, and tires but thats it, its a toyota.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I'd say you should expect 15 or so if you go easy on it with a V8.

As for what others are saying about reliability, obivously I may be biased but I worked at a Chevrolet dealer for two years and never saw a problem with a Silverado. Their cars are a different story, mostly junk. I've worked at a Toyota dealership for 6 months now and have seen probably a dozen Tacomas with at least a check engine light on(I'm talking brand new, less than 5 miles), and 3 or 4 that had to be towed to our sservice center with major problems. The Tundras have had their fair share of problems, but we probably only sell 1 Tundra for every 4 Tacomas. The main problem with the Tundras is that they go dead all the time, and they require another truck hooked up via jumper cables PLUS a jump box to start them. Same with the Sequioas.

Overall, in my opinion, if you're looking for reliable trucks, Chevy does much better than Toyota. If you're looking for a reliable car, buy a Toyota and you can safely weld the hood shut knowing you'll never need to access anything under there. Unless you blow a motor, but that's a different story.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
4 Participants
chevytrucker
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing