TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've spent all day trying to get my truck registered here in AZ. After an emissions test and two inspections the MVD want's to put a reconstructed title, and remove all of my VIN numbers and put a state Vin on it.... I spent too much time and effort building it to get a salvaged title, with a state Vin... I have already got it inspected and approved by CHP in California. I called AZDOT before I moved here and was told that as long as it was done by CHP before I moved here that it would be no problem.

HELP. I really don't want a reconstructed title, and some funky Vin#

Steve

·
---------------
3,569 Posts
Hey Steve - Sorry to hear about your trouble! You might want to contact Eric (faux) - he just go his truck inspected and may have some insight. :confused:

Wish I was able to help more. Good luck!

·
Takama's-N-Shit!
9,048 Posts
Mine was titled as a salvage vehicle maintaining the original vin#..........I'm not sure what can be done with a truck such as Steve's with the cab swapped...........I would assume you would have to title it and have it inspected as the double cab, not the original truck..............this is some strange territory and I'm not sure how to approach it???

Did the Double Cab truck have a clean title to work from??? I would assume you would have beter luck registering it from that vin#... otherwise I'm not sure there is a way to register it without what the MVD suggested.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
FAUX X 4 said:
Mine was titled as a salvage vehicle maintaining the original vin#..........I'm not sure what can be done with a truck such as Steve's with the cab swapped...........I would assume you would have to title it and have it inspected as the double cab, not the original truck..............this is some strange territory and I'm not sure how to approach it???

Did the Double Cab truck have a clean title to work from??? I would assume you would have beter luck registering it from that vin#... otherwise I'm not sure there is a way to register it without what the MVD suggested.

CHP removed the public and factory Vin's from the 04 cab. and reVIN'd it with the 97 VIN. Now AZ want's to take that off and give me a state issued VIN...

·
Takama's-N-Shit!
9,048 Posts
That makes no sense to me!................I would think if it has a clean title with a vin# and the vin on the truck matches the tile there shouldn't be an issue????

Are they running you through a level one inspection (standard out of state vehicle visual inspection) or are they making you do a level 2 or 3 inspection???

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Since CHP took off my public VIN# (the one on the dash) the guy at the MVD said that I had to do a level 3. When I got to the other MVD office, the guy there said that it only needed a level 2.

I think just like you. I already took care of this before I ever left The Peoples Republic of California. This should be a non-issue. It's becomming a very big pain in my ass... If the MVD won't play ball, I'll give the truck to my dad in CA. and have him register it there....

·
Takama's-N-Shit!
9,048 Posts
Deserttaco said:
Since CHP took off my public VIN# (the one on the dash) the guy at the MVD said that I had to do a level 3. When I got to the other MVD office, the guy there said that it only needed a level 2.

I think just like you. I already took care of this before I ever left The Peoples Republic of California. This should be a non-issue. It's becomming a very big pain in my ass... If the MVD won't play ball, I'll give the truck to my dad in CA. and have him register it there....
The level 3 inspection I went through was easier than the emisions test for me!......hell, the only original part of my truck is the cab, motor and what's left of the bed!!!! They never questioned the fact that it is now quite obviously 4wd and tiled and insured as a 2wd prerunner. (although he was scratching his head a little when he read the title paperwork) does yours have the new vin on the driver side door jamb??? The only 2 they looked at on mine was the one on the dash and the other on the plaque in the door jamb...........I'm at a loss as to what you can do. :dunno:

·
Takama's-N-Shit!
9,048 Posts
Deserttaco said:
CHP removed both the one on the dash and the one on the drivers door jam.
Those are the 2 areas that fill the critera for registration here...........now I'm starting to see the problem! LOL :D

Where did the CHP tag your truck???...........I would assume that AZ would have to honnor the inspection laws of California's registration process.......maybe you should see if you can have a new vin plaque with the '97's vin made up at a engraver or something if that's all they are looking for. :D

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have the metal Vin plate from the original cab in my tool box. I was told by CHP that If I install it, I could go to jail for fraud... So I haven't. CHP put a new "Blue Tag" where the original door jam VIN was, they just pulled the factory one off, and installed the replacement one.

·
Takama's-N-Shit!
9,048 Posts
Deserttaco said:
I have the metal Vin plate from the original cab in my tool box. I was told by CHP that If I install it, I could go to jail for fraud... So I haven't. CHP put a new "Blue Tag" where the original door jam VIN was, they just pulled the factory one off, and installed the replacement one.
I'm totally at a loss!..................which inspection station did you go to? You might try calling the title and registration line (602) 255-0072 and see if you can can get some answers.......they were very helpful with me and all the questions I had............I just don't see how they have a problem when it was re-titled in California? :confused:

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I went first to the Surprise office. They sent me to the Glendale office on 53rd and Bell... I don't see the problem either... but for some reason there is a huge problem

I tried to call them, but they are closed. I'll try again tomorrow.

·
Takama's-N-Shit!
9,048 Posts
Deserttaco said:
I went first to the Surprise office. They sent me to the Glendale office on 53rd and Bell... I don't see the problem either... but for some reason there is a huge problem
Give that number I posted a call tomorrow and see if you can make any headway............I went to the Mesa inspection office if that matters......I would assume they have the same poilcy's at all the stations.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Deserttaco said:

just keep the vehicle registered in ca. when i was in phoenix i had my truck registered in tx and never had a problem. not only that but my truck never had an inspection sticker, just a registration sticker. i was in phoenix for 5 years. they did stop me once, but once i showed them the tx registration they went back to eating their doughnuts. ;)

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
WARTOY said:
just keep the vehicle registered in ca. when i was in phoenix i had my truck registered in tx and never had a problem. not only that but my truck never had an inspection sticker, just a registration sticker. i was in phoenix for 5 years. they did stop me once, but once i showed them the tx registration they went back to eating their doughnuts. ;)

I may just do that.... But I would really like to get everything clean and clear here in AZ. I already have my wife's van registered here, We both have our AZ licenses. and all I want for my truck is some freaking plates... It's mind boggling that the registration fees are more expensive than CA... But I'm willing to pay them to help support my state government, but I may have to do something else if they won't play ball...

Not to mention that I am sure someone flagged my Ca plates, so If I get pulled over again they can impound it... Maybe I'll just trailer it from place to place...

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yes, and no... I called the number but basically got the run around. I called the inspector, and got the information of the sargent. I left him a message, but so far have not received a call back just yet.

The inspector asked me "How much time are you going to waste doing this?" I told him that I drive something else around, and have only put 300 miles on it since I moved here.... So I got all the time in the world... I don't think he liked my answer... :xdevil: :xdevil:

1 - 20 of 43 Posts