TTORA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is off of my buddy Brian's (Troy and sean met him here last weekend) GMC Jimmy.

Its got the 4.3 vortec in it, and what I assume to be a Dana 35 rear end.

Here are some shots.

Now, where on earth is the fill port? Searching around the net, I've found that 35s have a "plug" like a rubber or plastic thing, not a bolt like 44's.

The reason I ask is the truck is experiencing a vibration from the rear end somewhere, which goes away after about 10 mins or so of driving. It only started recently, when the weather got cold.

I suggested he double check the oil in the rear diff, and, even if the level was fine, to change it out. Not very expensive.

He called back and said he couldn't find the filler port. He sent me the above pics and I was baffled. These are the pics I've found of 35's elsewhere on the net. Where is it?

Close to what he has, but not quite, as far as I can tell.

·
20,355 Posts
Look on the passengers side of the differential, forward of the axle and above the centerline. It will have a square hole that a ratchet with extension will fit in. You should be able to put your little finger in the hole and touch gear oil

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
Yep...when in doubt, check around the differential carrier. 9" is the same way, fill on the center chunk.

Does that diff drain by simply removing the cover, or is there a dedicated drain plug?

·
Registered
13,296 Posts
It kinda looks like your buddy's axle has a dent where the fill plug was and then it was welded over (compared to the other pics OF the fill plug). Just noticing is all.

I wanna go look at Adam's rear end plug. Now that sounds worthy of pics!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts