TTORA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at finishing my masters degree at UAA next fall. What is anchorage like? Whats the weather like?

Later,

Chris

·
Retired
4,641 Posts
CMB1998 said:
I am looking at finishing my masters degree at UAA next fall. What is anchorage like? Whats the weather like?

Later,

Chris
Anchorage is huge, but the part of the town UAA is in is easy to get around in. There aren't many people for such a large city, but they tend to be in the same place at the same time on certain days and at certain times. Public transportation sucks in most areas.

The weather in fall and winter varies from warm, windy, and humid to bonechilling and dry. Last winter we had a couple weeks where the daily low temperature was -20* Fahrenheit and below, but that normally doesn't last long. Clear days are generally the worst.

A heavy fleece jacket, gloves, and a beanie are standard attire for short stints out on cold days, and in normal weather just a fleece will be fine for short walks.

On average, spring is very nice. The days and nights are quite comfortable (20s and 30s in the day time).

Be prepared to clear snow off your vehicle on a daily basis during storm season. Also make sure you have a block heater on your vehicle if you can't park it inside on cold nights. Vehicles tend not to start when they have been sitting overnight, even in -10* cold.

Anything else I can answer for you?

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
AK98Taco said:
Anchorage is huge, but the part of the town UAA is in is easy to get around in. There aren't many people for such a large city, but they tend to be in the same place at the same time on certain days and at certain times. Public transportation sucks in most areas.

The weather in fall and winter varies from warm, windy, and humid to bonechilling and dry. Last winter we had a couple weeks where the daily low temperature was -20* Fahrenheit and below, but that normally doesn't last long. Clear days are generally the worst.

A heavy fleece jacket, gloves, and a beanie are standard attire for short stints out on cold days, and in normal weather just a fleece will be fine for short walks.

On average, spring is very nice. The days and nights are quite comfortable (20s and 30s in the day time).

Be prepared to clear snow off your vehicle on a daily basis during storm season. Also make sure you have a block heater on your vehicle if you can't park it inside on cold nights. Vehicles tend not to start when they have been sitting overnight, even in -10* cold.

Anything else I can answer for you?

I didn't realize that the city was that large. It dosen't look at big in the pictures. Is housing very expensive?

Thanks,

Chris

·
Retired
4,641 Posts
CMB1998 said:
I didn't realize that the city was that large. It dosen't look at big in the pictures. Is housing very expensive?

Thanks,

Chris
The population is 261,000 and change, and the municipality covers 1,955 sq. miles (about the size of the STATE of Delaware).

As far as housing, it's expensive for the most part. Of course there are low-income areas and some trailer parks, even around UAA, but even the cookie-cutter subdivisions are pricey, running at $250,000 and up for 1,000 to 2,000 sq. feet. The average selling price of a home is $241,000. The best deal is renting. There are numerous apartment complexes throughout south Anchorage.

There's no sales tax, but everything is more expensive, except for fuel.

Here's some info:

http://www.alaska.com/akbiz/living/story/5198367p-5138738c.html

http://www.alaska.com/akbiz/living/story/5198367p-4463752c.html

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
i may be coming to AK here in a few months with a bunch of friends, one of them is from there. im looking foward to freezing my ass off :D

AK98Taco said:
The population is 261,000 and change, and the municipality covers 1,955 sq. miles (about the size of the STATE of Delaware).

As far as housing, it's expensive for the most part. Of course there are low-income areas and some trailer parks, even around UAA, but even the cookie-cutter subdivisions are pricey, running at $250,000 and up for 1,000 to 2,000 sq. feet. The average selling price of a home is $241,000. The best deal is renting. There are numerous apartment complexes throughout south Anchorage.

There's no sales tax, but everything is more expensive, except for fuel.

Here's some info:

http://www.alaska.com/akbiz/living/story/5198367p-5138738c.html

http://www.alaska.com/akbiz/living/story/5198367p-4463752c.html

·
Retired
4,641 Posts
zszac111 said:
i may be coming to AK here in a few months with a bunch of friends, one of them is from there. im looking foward to freezing my ass off :D
You'll be fine. It's really not bad most of the year. If you are going in a few months, the cold snaps will be gone and you'll be loving it.

March should be really nice. New snow is uncommon and there are tons of blue-bird days.

Man, part of me wishes I was there right now, playing in the fresh snow.
Perfect temperatures in the 20s.

·
Registered
793 Posts
I envy anyone who lives in Alaska! Tried talking the wife into moving there last week.......ended in a BIG fight. :confused:

·
Retired
4,641 Posts
Stock02 said:
I envy anyone who lives in Alaska! Tried talking the wife into moving there last week.......ended in a BIG fight. :confused:
Hehe.

Why does your wife not want to move to Alaska? You get used to the weather, just like moving to Arizona and having to deal with the occasional scalding temperatures. Anchorage is just like any other large (by area) city in the country. We have all the conveniences and ammenities of most any other city. If you've ever been to Salt Lake City, Anchorage dwarfs it, in size, development, and beats it in population by about 80,000.

The summers are amazing. Tons of daylight, perfect temperatures for lazing in the boat on the river in the day, and sitting around a campfire in the evenings. This past summer we had 40+ straight days with no rain and where the temperature hit 70* every day. If that's not good weather, I don't know what is.

You can at least come to visit in the summer.

I have really good friends from PA that live in Anchorage and the we fish with all summer and fall, so you'll fit right in.

Let me know if you plan on making a trip in the summer, and I'll make sure to be there and show you a good time.

·
Registered
130 Posts
You'll like AK. I came up here in '99 for the Air Force and have extended twice to stay here. Im getting out of the service in 6 months so I can live up here. Im from ND and it was colder back home then it is up here. I also attend UAA--its a pretty good school. There stingy about transfer credits, but O well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts