TTORA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
If you have a question about his transmissions, give Marlin a call. I've been to his shop and watched him, he does good work. If the gears are from the same source he get's the rest from, then they are equal in grade to the factory ones.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
BruceTS said:
If you have a question about his transmissions, give Marlin a call. I've been to his shop and watched him, he does good work. If the gears are from the same source he get's the rest from, then they are equal in grade to the factory ones.

Thanks, I plan on calling him with some questions this week. I'll also be asking him about his clutches.

What was the final tally ($) on your dual case setup? (case, driveshafts, crossmember)

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Talked with Marlin today and I must say that his knowledge of Toyota's is mindboggling. Very nice guy. Anyway, this aftermarket gear set will not work on Tacoma's or 3rd gen 4Runners, only on 86-95 trucks with the R150F tranny. The 4.31 first gear from a turbo tranny will not work on Tacoma or 3rd gen 4Runners either.

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
marlin gears

dragr1 said:
Talked with Marlin today and I must say that his knowledge of Toyota's is mindboggling. Very nice guy. Anyway, this aftermarket gear set will not work on Tacoma's or 3rd gen 4Runners, only on 86-95 trucks with the R150F tranny. The 4.31 first gear from a turbo tranny will not work on Tacoma or 3rd gen 4Runners either.
Yeah, cause the new R150's are kinda like the next generation. However, you could always get an older R150 and get the crawler adapter for the drivers side t-case... Peace, Wes

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
wslytoy said:
Yeah, cause the new R150's are kinda like the next generation. However, you could always get an older R150 and get the crawler adapter for the drivers side t-case... Peace, Wes
Yes, that is correct, but beyond the modifying I want to do.

·
Registered
288 Posts
dragr1 said:
What was the final tally ($) on your dual case setup? (case, driveshafts, crossmember)
aprox $1500 for the complete dual case set-up
$150 for the used driveshafts from a salvage yard
$180 to get the driveshafts modified
$22.67 Toyota Part # 36303-34030. shift knob, proper shift pattern
used the stock crossmember no modifications

Here's my write up on the install: http://brucethesniper.8k.com/4runner/marlin/index.html

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
3 Participants
BruceTS
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing