TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to keep my shackles above the frame, but I'm going with the 12"er's instead of the 9" shackles...hopefully this way I can pull the full 18"+ I'm looking to get out of the rear. I'd like to re-do the top mounts and gusset the shit out of them and since the pinion angle will most likely chage, the front hangers will need to be cut and re-welded as well. Just seeing if anyone wanted to take a crack at it. :)

-Tweeter

·
Registered
912 Posts
I think you can get away with leaving the front hangers where they are. Shouldn't change things that much. Would like to help but don't have anywhere to fab right now.

·
Registered
700 Posts
you shouldnt have to move the front hanger. if your pinion angle changed that much, you would just have to change the angle on the axle perch... i beleive. any other thoughts? haha

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
12" shackles?!!!!

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Tweeter said:
Looking to keep my shackles above the frame, but I'm going with the 12"er's instead of the 9" shackles...hopefully this way I can pull the full 18"+ I'm looking to get out of the rear. I'd like to re-do the top mounts and gusset the shit out of them and since the pinion angle will most likely chage, the front hangers will need to be cut and re-welded as well. Just seeing if anyone wanted to take a crack at it. :)

-Tweeter
Do you want to lift the bed off, and just beef the rear section all at the same time so the reinforcement work can all be tied together?? It would make sense to keep from tweaking the frame.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Im learning from your mistakes tweeter, i am gettin some 12's so i dont run into that problem. Also I am in the process of boxing my whole frame and gonna build custom gussets for the shackle mounts.

·
Registered
317 Posts
The front hangers shoulden't need to be moved as long as your wheels are centered in your wheel wells at ride hieght. What about your shock mounts? You might need to move your shock location.

·
Registered
475 Posts
i know someone that can do the install for you for cheap pm me if you want his info...he has done it a few times

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
rojodiablo said:
Do you want to lift the bed off, and just beef the rear section all at the same time so the reinforcement work can all be tied together?? It would make sense to keep from tweaking the frame.
Yea the bed will need to come off. I have a couple pictures of what I want to do regarding the 12'ers. This whole process is just like :xsmash: :banghead: I'll give you a call in a little bit Paul my phones been retarded lately sorry I missed yours.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Have you already moved your hangers forward?

The trick to the 12" shackles is the eye to eye measurement. Mine is 52.5", I wish i would have went a bit longer to get more ride height, and to lower the point at which I need to set my bump stops at.

Here's a pic of mine at ride height (more or less)

Click it to make it bigger...

·
Premium Member
11,173 Posts
xmikedentx said:

The trick to the 12" shackles is the eye to eye measurement. Mine is 52.5", I wish i would have went a bit longer to get more ride height, and to lower the point at which I need to set my bump stops at.

Coming from a rock crawling environment, I have to ask, what is the advantages of setting up your shackles like that?

When setting up my SAS, I kept the shackle under the frame because I wanted the springs to maintain the best traction while articulating. I just don't understand how setting up the shackle like you have it in the photo is more advantegous, even going fast.

I am guessing that is the front of the leaf correct? is the rear of the leaf also supported by another shackle? or is it tied into the frame. swapping mounting points on the suspension?

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
The front of the spring is in a solid mount on the frame, only the rear of the spring is held by a shackle. Longer shackles mean more travel, and a 12" shackle above the frame will have more swing than a shorter shackle below the frame.

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Bear said:
Coming from a rock crawling environment, I have to ask, what is the advantages of setting up your shackles like that?

When setting up my SAS, I kept the shackle under the frame because I wanted the springs to maintain the best traction while articulating. I just don't understand how setting up the shackle like you have it in the photo is more advantegous, even going fast.

I am guessing that is the front of the leaf correct? is the rear of the leaf also supported by another shackle? or is it tied into the frame. swapping mounting points on the suspension?
Clean travel when pulling 18+ inches in the back. Allows the extra inch or two of articulation to get there.

It swings with the leafs when they droop or compress so you get maximum travel out of the 62" pack.

The front is bolted to the frame via leaf spring hanger. The rear shackles are either put through the frame, below, or above depending on how high you want the truck to sit, what shackle length, shock length, etc. Make sense?

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
xmikedentx said:

Yes, I'm just going to go with longer shackles and re-do the mounts.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Bear said:

bear, i do not understand this either... it is not the front of the truck, it is the rear, like our shackles below the frame.....

the stock spring over axle was also converted to a spring under

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
jimbo74 said:
bear, i do not understand this either... it is not the front of the truck, it is the rear, like our shackles below the frame.....

Ok, give me a second and I'll get a video of this working...

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Matt Helton - 1450 Champ with the leaf sprung 4 banger that won...check out the rear shacke/leaf movement, maybe this will help...

Clicky!

·
Premium Member
11,173 Posts
I understand this is a rear suspension set up. I just don't understand if there is two shackles per leaf spring or if they swapped the shackle from the stock location to the front of the leaf for better absorption of the jumps. If there is two shackles per leaf, I would think that it would make the truck very unstable on dirt or pavement.

I am just trying to expand my knowledge here. I don't have any plans of setting up my SAS this way...oh wait. I already have my sas set up.

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
Just one shackle, at the rear of the leafspring.

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok, I cut off the old front hangers and welded on new ones (stronger) and moved them forward. Wham-bam front is done. For the rear the old shackle mounts are torched and thrown out as well. Now, the shackles that I use (total chaos) are two pieces and one shackle per leaf spring. Both sides of the shackle rotate on bushings. The old shackle is trashed and the front hangers are still the same just moved forward. And the stock shackles are replaced with the longer ones which allow longer travel without lifting your truck to the sky, thus why it's put above and not below the frame...comprende? :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts