TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It looks like LED lights(tail, turn) are becoming all the rage, anyone here have them? I have seen them for sale on some websites, they seem kind of cool.
just wondering if they are good or just a bling bling fad kind of thing.

·
Registered
44 Posts
A little off topic :cool:
I installed them in my offshore boat due to their low wattage requirements. They extend the usable life of the battery while shut down for the night. Other than the "cool factor" are they justified for auto use??

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LED talk

I have seen them on upscale cars like...that weird looking infinti truck and on cadillac limos, they light up really bright, I was talking to the dealer at toyota and he said they are trying to get them on most cars by 2007

·
Registered
142 Posts
Please, spare yourself and don't put any aftermarket LED brake, tail, or turn lights. They look so stupid. LED head lights look nice when done correctly (i.e. OEM only!) but only on luxury/performance vehicles (and by performance I don't mean a chevy cavalier)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
you are right, ya know when you are at a stop light and see somebody who has badly modified their car or truck. I don't want to be that guy. thanks for the advice

·
Registered
68 Posts
I've been using LED's for 2 years on my taco, i like em... low draw, and vibration resistant.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
supahonkey said:
Please, spare yourself and don't put any aftermarket LED brake, tail, or turn lights. They look so stupid. LED head lights look nice when done correctly (i.e. OEM only!) but only on luxury/performance vehicles (and by performance I don't mean a chevy cavalier)
I haven't seen any LED headlights either. I've ran LED's in my truck for a little while now. So far, I have them in my front corners, brake/tail, 3rd brake light, and glove box. I originally tried a pair from Autozone for the brake/tail and what a peice of junk! I then replaced them with ones from www.superbrightleds.com and they are sooo much better, so I got the 3rd brake light, glove box (red) and front corners. BTW, for front corners, don't get white (get amber) unless you have blue headlights or HIDs, b/c the whites are so much whiter than the headlights that they look blue. I like them for their instant on ability, don't burn out, and low amperage draw. It's nothing to look cool, just for practicality. If you don't care how much energy you're draining or don't have a problem with bulbs burning out, the don't bother with LEDs.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Are you guys talking about those Altezza-type LED lights, or round/oval utility flatbed-style LED taillights? Aftermarket Altezzas are ghey, but LED lights are WAY better than bulbs. They don't burn out, they're not as sensitive to vibration or impacts, they draw less electricity and they're much brighter. We're installing some in the rollcage of our long-travel Tacoma so that we still have taillights when we run it without the fiberglass bedsides. The best ones that I have found are made by AL Lightech.

·
Premium Member
12,934 Posts
You're not likely to see any either. LED's do not put out enough light to function effectively as head lights. Individual LED output is rated in milli-candelas or thousandths of a candle power. Even the so called suberbrights just direct all of the output into a narrow beam. You'd need a whole bunch of em, probably covering the entire front end for starters to do any good.
I was being facetious and kinda poking fun at the guy because I think he's talkin out of his ass. He most likely has HID mixed up with LED.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I got a place for rent with IOL (Instant on Lighting)

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts
Dick Foster said:
You're not likely to see any either. LED's do not put out enough light to function effectively as head lights. Individual LED output is rated in milli-candelas or thousandths of a candle power. Even the so called suberbrights just direct all of the output into a narrow beam. You'd need a whole bunch of em, probably covering the entire front end for starters to do any good.
I was being facetious and kinda poking fun at the guy because I think he's talkin out of his ass. He most likely has HID mixed up with LED.
that one site has your corner lights for your bumper ;)

·
Registered
58 Posts
ChickenSoftTaco said:
I have seen them on upscale cars like...that weird looking infinti truck and on cadillac limos, they light up really bright, I was talking to the dealer at toyota and he said they are trying to get them on most cars by 2007
i never knew infiniti had a truck!! :eek:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah they have two sizes...the smaller crossover "sport truck" with farty sounding exhaust and a massive Smog.Unleashing.Vehicle, they have LED turns and Brakes, but LED headlights arent out yet, I dont think.

·
I LIVE FOR THIS
1,700 Posts
mgyver1 said:
I haven't seen any LED headlights either. I've ran LED's in my truck for a little while now. So far, I have them in my front corners, brake/tail, 3rd brake light, and glove box. I originally tried a pair from Autozone for the brake/tail and what a peice of junk! I then replaced them with ones from www.superbrightleds.com and they are sooo much better, so I got the 3rd brake light, glove box (red) and front corners. BTW, for front corners, don't get white (get amber) unless you have blue headlights or HIDs, b/c the whites are so much whiter than the headlights that they look blue. I like them for their instant on ability, don't burn out, and low amperage draw. It's nothing to look cool, just for practicality. If you don't care how much energy you're draining or don't have a problem with bulbs burning out, the don't bother with LEDs.
Im considering leds too but for the turn signals did you have to get that load resistor to make your turn signals work? Did you get the standard 12 led bulbs for your setup? I courious if the 12 led with fit the standard socket or if i can go with a bigger buld that has more leds. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
12,934 Posts
A better fix than the load resistor is to do the mod that adds the turn signals to the front side marker lamps. Replacing the single filament with the double filament lamp works for the load problem and adds a more visible turn signal.

·
Registered
237 Posts
There is a good thread on Yotatch about this. Some manufacturers such as Audi have LED headlights already and more are coming out with them soon. I agree with Jesse, rice boy looks aside LED's are superior to a fillament light bulb any day.

Jesse, they are talking about drop-in replacement LED's that go inside the OEM tail and corner marker lenses not the industrial style ones we are using on the rear of the Taco. Cehck out the link McGyver posted above for pics...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts