TTORA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the truck is down again for the onlyt problem it ever has. Fuel pump! Im over it. Not sure if it fell off or went out but while its out id like to have the correct top welded in. Its an 87 carbed longbed tank i looked for efi longbed tanks for about 2 years and never found one. This tank likes to leak where the wires come out anyways so im planning on chopping it up.

the idea. Take the cover and cut section from a newer tank with sending unit and all and weld it in the 87 tank. I can cut it all and have it ready i just need someone to weld it. Mainly cause this scares the hell out of me. I hear fill it with water, Dont fill it with water, wash it out with soapy water then drain it....I just dont wanna mess with it so i need someone that can do it. It will be out of the truck and ready to go tonight just need it done ASAP I cant keep driving the corolla with no plates on it around.

LMK if your interested in doing this.

·
7,735 Posts
I'd offer, but don't trust my welds to be "water" tight.

Have you considered brazing the new section on? I've never done it, but hear it's super simple and very effective.

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Doug I'm sure you can do it. Welding a tank scares the hell out of me.

Orangecrusher. The tank has to be longed efi to work. I modded my 87 tank to fit the taco pump and the sending unit is wrong so if I'm at 3/4 tank or less the gauge reads empty unless it idles. The wires where they come through have been jb welded a million times so they wouldn't leak but they do. This round has to be the end. Cutting a new runner tank with sending unit and evap junk to weld in to my tank so the sensor unit works and it stops leaking. Thanks tho

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cause it's way more work then I care to do. No need to change shocks, muffler wiring, fuel lines. Plus I have a longed so my tank is almost flush with the frame. My skid is almost above the frame. It's way too much work for less then a gallon of gas and less then an inch of clearance I feel.

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
Unless you have access to a tig welder, brazing is one of the better ways to accomplish this. Yes, some people who are FAR superior to me at welding can do it, but brazing seems to work VERY well.

I am looking for a ford tank, and will braze in the toyota fittings. However, while I would love to help you out, I do not know how well I can braze yet, but plan on learning.

To clean the tank, you are going to need lots of water and a hose. Shove the hose in, and let water run through the tank for a good long while, dumping occasionally and re-filling. After the weld or braze is done, it would be a good idea to get the tank re-coated inside, either by you, or professionally.

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok so if anyone is around this Sat. Im planning on attempting this. the plan

Fill with water and let water flush for 10-15 minutes. Then dump it out and do the same again. I plan on keeping it full of water when welding it too...A few guys i know that did this said that works the best but it cools fast. Thats fine by me cause the metal is thin and i can get back to the small welds faster without warping it.

I also wanna make sure this thing is not going to blow up on me while my face is close by so im thinking i take it out in to the street and throw a match in it to make sure its not going to go up when i start welding...Im honestly freaked about it but have no choice but to get it done. The trucks down, Car im using has tags up on it today and i have tons of stuff to move and need a truck. Plus while its nice id like to make some close wheeling trips to brake up the busy ass weeks i have had and will be having.

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
Good plan on the match, but with the water, you'll be fine. You just need to get rid of the fumes, filling the tank full of water will do this.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts