TTORA Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when adjusting them, makes turning of the spanner wrench much easier.
It will also prevent the adjustment collar from getting siezed on to the shock body. :)

·
Registered
264 Posts
I would agree and add to use anti-seize on most threaded connections on your chassis or undercarriage. Just about anything I take apart under there after soaking, swearing, and busting knuckles on rusty threads goes back on with anti-seize.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Well, as long as we're talking about the uses of anti-seize, I would add lug nuts/studs to the list. I decided to start doing this after my 4th stud snapped off. :)

·
Deal Master
2,773 Posts
22RToy said:
I decided to start doing this after my 4th stud snapped off. :)
Are you properly torquing your lug nuts?

·
Registered
77 Posts
ChargedTaco said:
when adjusting them, makes turning of the spanner wrench much easier.
It will also prevent the adjustment collar from getting siezed on to the shock body. :)
Definately a wise choice. stuff works great. I used it on my 92 chevy 4.3 and after having it for a few years I changed the plugs for the second time and wow was it worth putting that on there. I buy big tubes of that stuff before just about any project I do now.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Never seize, is great!

22RToy said:
Well, as long as we're talking about the uses of anti-seize, I would add lug nuts/studs to the list. I decided to start doing this after my 4th stud snapped off. :)
I would also add to the surface of your rotors where the wheel makes contact for those of you who have alloy rims. Makes taking them off real simple. I've read a few post where people have found their front wheel literally fused to the brake rotor... My friend calls me the never sieze king because I use it like it's going out of style but when it comes time to take something appart, I get the last laugh. Especially here in Canada with all the road salt we use...
Every bit helps :D !

·
Registered
19 Posts
22RToy said:

this is probably the dumbest thing to do, you NEVER want to put any kind of lubrication on your wheel studs. if you torque them to the proper torque each time they are taken off you should never have any problems with them snapping off or stripping, unless you cannot screw a nut on straight. putting any kind of lubrication, yes thats what antiseize is in a way, on your studs can cause the wheel to fall off. and you dont want that now do you.

·
Registered
652 Posts
BTW the #1 cause of spark plug seizing is not tightening to proper torque! Why? If the seal doesn't crush, carbon fills the threads due to a small leak. You still should use anti-seize.

Toyota does not recommend anti-seize on their wheel studs, but I do it anyways. NEVER had a problem, but be sure you don't put anti-seize on the washer where it touches the wheel! Then they might fall off, and you overtorque (stretch) the crap out of them. I also have aftermarket crap nuts though, I'd leave the stock stuff dry.

Not pulling this out of my ass, I worked on Toyotas professionally for 5 years...

·
Registered
264 Posts
I Ate Your Taco said:
this is probably the dumbest thing to do, you NEVER want to put any kind of lubrication on your wheel studs. ...putting any kind of lubrication, yes thats what antiseize is in a way, on your studs can cause the wheel to fall off.
Wearing shoes can cause your feet to fall off. :rolleyes: But it's not very likely, if applied correctly.

·
Registered
117 Posts
You should add anti seize to the braking surface of the rotors.......this will prolong brake pad life!!!

·
Registered
84 Posts
grillmasterp said:
Are you properly torquing your lug nuts?
Old post, forgot about this one. Oops!

No, I am probably not torquing them properly, however I've always changed or rotated my own tires, and never had this problem with my old Toy. It's my observation that the newer nuts/studs are softer, and have a tendency to shred or fragment. When I snapped a stud, I was taking the nut off. The built up fragments created too much friction, kept getting tighter and tighter.

*snap*

·
Registered
84 Posts
I Ate Your Taco said:
this is probably the dumbest thing to do, you NEVER want to put any kind of lubrication on your wheel studs. if you torque them to the proper torque each time they are taken off you should never have any problems with them snapping off or stripping, unless you cannot screw a nut on straight. putting any kind of lubrication, yes thats what antiseize is in a way, on your studs can cause the wheel to fall off. and you dont want that now do you.
Well, I'm not exactly using Teflon on my studs, though I do agree that anti seize feels slippery on the fingers. I had problems with my lug nuts seizing. So I decided to use anti SEIZE to prevent them from doing just that.

·
Registered
150 Posts
At are shop we use this stuff called Fluid Film man it works the best you can watch it take the rust right off nuts and bolts juts gotta shake it before u use it, Once you use fluid film you never go back to anything else and its better then anti-sieze.

·
Premium Member
4,997 Posts
I Ate Your Taco said:
I've been running anti-seize on my wheel studs over the life of my last 3 Toyota trucks. Only time I had problems was before I started using anti-sieze and used to break studs that got rusted to the nuts.

I do keep them properly torqued, and check them frequently. And yes, I can screw a nut on straight.

Later,
....Mike

·
Registered
137 Posts
Mike said:
I've been running anti-seize on my wheel studs over the life of my last 3 Toyota trucks. Only time I had problems was before I started using anti-sieze and used to break studs that got rusted to the nuts.

I do keep them properly torqued, and check them frequently. And yes, I can screw a nut on straight.

Later,
....Mike
Well that is the end of that! lol

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
About this Discussion
17 Replies
14 Participants
Puckett
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing