TTORA Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone had a list of what Warn winches will fit in the ARB Bull Bar. It says most will fit but which will and which will not. Also a friend is telling me to go with the 9.5ti or 9.5si M.O.S.F.E.T. and I don't know anything about either other than they are expensive. Finally can anyone explain what the M.O.S.F.E.T. does in plain english?

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
I believe a M8000 would fit in there. It is cheaper and will be able to handle almost all situations. Just get a snatch block and it cuts the winch effort in half. Cant help you on the mosfet thing other than i had it in a pioneer cd player a couple of years ago.

·
Registered
119 Posts
You can't use any winch that has an integrated solenoid.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So the 9.5 series will work?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No reply from ARB

·
Deal Master
2,775 Posts
James said:
No reply from ARB
Call up there tech support-
contact info can be found at arbusa.com

·
Registered
196 Posts
In my research, it looks like any winch with an "integrated" controller will not work because the winch needs to fit INTO the bumper. I believe on the Warn winches that is any model with an "i" at the end.
A MOSFET is a Metal Oxide Semiconductor Field Effect Transistor. I have not read anything about their use in the Warn winch but my guess would be that the relays used to control the electric motor have been replaced with MOSFETs. In other words, they are now solid-state switches. That would mean that the "switch" is done in silicon rather than a coil-and-reed type relay. I would imagine this has benefits for overheating problems, in that the MOSFETs can be thermally connected to any large metal object (such as the integrated housing) and dump the heat more efficiently. Whether the MOSFETs can handle the 400+ Amps of current for any longer than a relay can is another question.

·
Registered
305 Posts
good answer

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Gargoyle said:
In my research, it looks like any winch with an "integrated" controller will not work because the winch needs to fit INTO the bumper. I believe on the Warn winches that is any model with an "i" at the end.
A MOSFET is a Metal Oxide Semiconductor Field Effect Transistor. I have not read anything about their use in the Warn winch but my guess would be that the relays used to control the electric motor have been replaced with MOSFETs. In other words, they are now solid-state switches. That would mean that the "switch" is done in silicon rather than a coil-and-reed type relay. I would imagine this has benefits for overheating problems, in that the MOSFETs can be thermally connected to any large metal object (such as the integrated housing) and dump the heat more efficiently. Whether the MOSFETs can handle the 400+ Amps of current for any longer than a relay can is another question.
Thanks for your help and input. I am looking at the 9.5ti or 9.5si but it will be awhile down the road so I still have plenty of time to research. I will wait until after the lift before adding the bumper and winch. I would like to find a place the will sell me just the winch with out the cable and fairlead because I want to run synthitic line.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Not long ago I found OKOffroad (http://www.okoffroad.com/). I spoke with Mark Kiely, he seemed to know his stuff and I think they would do what you are looking for (winch with a synth rope) but they focus on Ramsey winches.
Personally I am trying to work a special hybrid winch that uses a Mile Marker hydraulic that is driven with a hydraulic power pack (which is an all-in-one unit with a DC motor, a hydraulic pump, and a fluid resevoir). If the project works, I will be sure to publish my experience putting it together.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Most low profile winches will fit.I believe the winch bolt pattern is 10.5" x 4.5" or something like that.Most all 8000 & 9000lb winches have this same bolt down pattern Warn,MM & Ramsey.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Gargoyle said:
Not long ago I found OKOffroad (http://www.okoffroad.com/). I spoke with Mark Kiely, he seemed to know his stuff and I think they would do what you are looking for (winch with a synth rope) but they focus on Ramsey winches.
Personally I am trying to work a special hybrid winch that uses a Mile Marker hydraulic that is driven with a hydraulic power pack (which is an all-in-one unit with a DC motor, a hydraulic pump, and a fluid resevoir). If the project works, I will be sure to publish my experience putting it together.
That sounds nice but what about keeping the size and weight down???

·
Registered
196 Posts
Well, the hydraulic winch is usually a little lighter than one of the same capabilities (MM 10.5k is 88# for example and Warn 9.5ti is 89#). The power unit is only about 20# (located anywhere on the truck) and the overall system has the advantages touted by both sides of the hyd/elec arguments:
- hydraulic powered winches don't over-heat (under normal operating conditions) so they can pull all day long.
- hydraulics have two speed settings
- normally there are complaints about power loss to the steering, but with this setup the PS pump is not involved
- hydraulics can work UNDER water
- typical hydraulics (using PS pump) need to have the engine running to operate, my setup would work just as well from the battery (like an electric) but would be able to run much longer
- electrics typically need a system upgrade (bat, maybe two-bat system, alternator, etc.) because the winch can draw over 400 A!
- electrics duty cycle are on the order of 20% in 5 minutes, with the power unit's electric motor I am looking at has a 50% rating in 10 minutes with about 120 A draw (which is within what my 130 A alternator can produce).
- the only downfall I have come across is that operating the winch at its rated levels (1500 psi, 3.4 gpm) is difficult to achieve (1500 psi, 2.1 gpm is about what I am looking at).
The hydraulic winch power is governed by the pressure which correlates to pulling power, and flow which correlates to speed. Finding a power unit that runs at 1500 psi is easy, one that can push 3.4 gal. per min is not. These parameters trade directly: lower psi makes more gpm. So I may have a slower winch, which I am fine with especially since I would be able to winch all day long.
Again, as I finalize my plan I can let you know how the overall system works. But before I get a winch I need to find a bumper for my new '05!

·
Registered
6 Posts
James, if you do decide to get the ARB bumper, get the frame rail extensions welded to the frame. After having mine for 9 months I discovered fatigue cracks around the stock retraining nut in the frame that actually carries most of the weight of the bumper and winch. ARB seems to have made a bad choice in mounting the bumper on 2001-2004 Tacos. Two bolts in thin material are basically holding the entire weight of the bumper and winch. I discovered the problem because the front of the bumper was drooping down a bit and the rear of the wrap around was banging against my fender on rough roads.

The ARB also has the major disadvantage that you can't see how the cable is wrapping on the spool. You have to have your head right next to the cable (not a place you want your head under load). I've currently got my cable complete off (for the third time) so I can completely rewrap the cable (well, that and inspect it as well).

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sounds great and please do keep me informed.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Gargoyle said:
Well, the hydraulic winch is usually a little lighter than one of the same capabilities (MM 10.5k is 88# for example and Warn 9.5ti is 89#). The power unit is only about 20# (located anywhere on the truck) and the overall system has the advantages touted by both sides of the hyd/elec arguments:
- hydraulic powered winches don't over-heat (under normal operating conditions) so they can pull all day long.
- hydraulics have two speed settings
- normally there are complaints about power loss to the steering, but with this setup the PS pump is not involved
- hydraulics can work UNDER water
- typical hydraulics (using PS pump) need to have the engine running to operate, my setup would work just as well from the battery (like an electric) but would be able to run much longer
- electrics typically need a system upgrade (bat, maybe two-bat system, alternator, etc.) because the winch can draw over 400 A!
- electrics duty cycle are on the order of 20% in 5 minutes, with the power unit's electric motor I am looking at has a 50% rating in 10 minutes with about 120 A draw (which is within what my 130 A alternator can produce).
- the only downfall I have come across is that operating the winch at its rated levels (1500 psi, 3.4 gpm) is difficult to achieve (1500 psi, 2.1 gpm is about what I am looking at).
The hydraulic winch power is governed by the pressure which correlates to pulling power, and flow which correlates to speed. Finding a power unit that runs at 1500 psi is easy, one that can push 3.4 gal. per min is not. These parameters trade directly: lower psi makes more gpm. So I may have a slower winch, which I am fine with especially since I would be able to winch all day long.
Again, as I finalize my plan I can let you know how the overall system works. But before I get a winch I need to find a bumper for my new '05!
This is great info...anyone out there know what sort of alternator one should get if trying to install a Warn 9.5ti? Or a resource to call?

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Zsasbo said:
This is great info...anyone out there know what sort of alternator one should get if trying to install a Warn 9.5ti? Or a resource to call?
Do a simple search on the word "alternator" and you'll find a VERY useful post (if I do say so myself :D ) on a company that supplies an excellent alternator upgrade. The company is Boyle Future Technology.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts