TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm looking to get rid of the hunk "o" shit bumper on my truck. i was wondering for those of you who bought the arb bumper if you had any regrets on it?

·
Registered
67 Posts
J.T.054x4Taco said:
i'm looking to get rid of the hunk "o" shit bumper on my truck. i was wondering for those of you who bought the arb bumper if you had any regrets on it?

Your getting rid of yor factory bumper or getting rid of you arb bumper?

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i want to get rid of the factory bumper and get a plate style bumper.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
TACODOC said:
No regrets. Damn good piece of gear IMO :2cents:
did it bolt right up w/no issue's. also did you trim the fenders on the arb. some people have, some haven't just not sure if it's for cosmetics only?

·
Registered
217 Posts
No regrets at all here, and it truely is a simple bolt on. Hardest part is lifting the bumper up and getting the gaps even, and even that is easy. It took me about 4.5 hours by myself with only my wife coming outside for about half an hour to help me lift the bar onto supports and line it up. The stock bumper is junk with a capital "J", it's only held on with 4 little screws and about 7 plastic clips.

I'm running 265/75 16s with no problems, I think if you run 285's though you may have some rubbing on the ends. Cedarbarn has a nice writeup on how he modded his.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for the heads up. i am getting a winch so i may hold out for a few months then. i'm running 285's though. any one else running 285's with an arb having rubbing issue's out there????

·
Registered
217 Posts
TACODOC said:
No trimming with 255/85R16's :D
Interesting. Is that because they are narrower so they sit inside the bumper ends? I've been back and forth between 255's and 285's for my next tire. If 255's fit without rub, well hell....that's 1 point for the 255's and 0 for the 285's. Good to know, thanks for that little bit of info Doc.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Lost Canadian said:
Interesting. Is that because they are narrower so they sit inside the bumper ends? I've been back and forth between 255's and 285's for my next tire. If 255's fit without rub, well hell....that's 1 point for the 255's and 0 for the 285's. Good to know, thanks for that little bit of info Doc.
I'm running 285's with no trimming either. I think it depends on the brand of tire. You can definitely run them on the street and for any mild wheeling until you find out if they rud on your choice of tire. :2cents:

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
I am ordering my ARB in a couple of weeks, have heard of no issues with the 285's rubbing the bumper. My 285's rub on the body mount, that should be cured soon when I finally link up with a friend who has some cool toys (plasma cutter) to help me notch them and weld piece in to brace them.

·
Registered
332 Posts
i love my arb over the tube art work i had on my truck before! one thing though, if you have stock suspension you are going to want to upgrade soon. i had the trd suspension on my truck with an arb and winch for a couple thousand and i would say get some type of aftermarket suspension if you already dont have it. Bumper is plenty stoudt. no problems at all i have used it to pull stumps out. when you mount it up. you realize how much better it is than the other options out there. i have not seen the shrock yet but ill put money on it that it will be on par if not better than the arb. Jim makes some good shit!

i had to throw that in there just incase you were getting close to a decision haha.

later
Zach

·
Registered
803 Posts
my05taco said:
i love my arb over the tube art work i had on my truck before! one thing though, if you have stock suspension you are going to want to upgrade soon. i had the trd suspension on my truck with an arb and winch for a couple thousand and i would say get some type of aftermarket suspension if you already dont have it. Bumper is plenty stoudt. no problems at all i have used it to pull stumps out. when you mount it up. you realize how much better it is than the other options out there. i have not seen the shrock yet but ill put money on it that it will be on par if not better than the arb. Jim makes some good shit!

i had to throw that in there just incase you were getting close to a decision haha.

later
Zach
Ditto on the upgraded suspension. I even went so far as to have Sway-A-Way put some 14" / 700 lb springs on a set of 2.5" extended travel coilovers for all the weight the ARB and winch adds. Highway ride is excellent now and I'm just back from testing them off road up at Bald Mountain OHVR. All I can say is :kewl: :kewl: :kewl: couldn't ask for more out of an IFS system.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
i'm currently running the crapola revtek. i know..... it's what was available and affordable when i bought the truck in 05. i'll definatly be moving up to a deaver 12p and dr coil overs. i'm making my list for tax time!!!! :) the shrock works bumper is f "n" nice but a bit to expensive i think. $899 before upgrades????. i also spoke w/demelo about 4-5 months back when the plate bumper came out for the fj. he was in work for the tacoma plate bumper but nothing yet. seems like all manufactures gave up on producing tacoma stuff since the fj was born. my buddy has a plasma, tig and some misc shop equipment. only thing is he has no fab experiance as far as offroad. he does alot of fab for track and fast/furious types. i'm still a few months out. i'm just doing my home work.

·
Registered
332 Posts
this is exactly what i found when looking into a plate bumper for myself. i started with an all pro tube. but i just didnt like it. next i searched around for a plate. it seems that the only viable solution is the ARB or custom. i have absoutly no fab skills so the ARB was the only way to go. the ARB has been the best compromise that i have ever made. just take your time with the body gaps. if you dont you get your bumper pointed down to the ground. i used a calabrated finger inbetween the fenders and bumper.
later
Zach

·
Registered
120 Posts
my05taco said:
this is exactly what i found when looking into a plate bumper for myself. i started with an all pro tube. but i just didnt like it. next i searched around for a plate. it seems that the only viable solution is the ARB or custom. i have absoutly no fab skills so the ARB was the only way to go. the ARB has been the best compromise that i have ever made. just take your time with the body gaps. if you dont you get your bumper pointed down to the ground. i used a calabrated finger inbetween the fenders and bumper.
later
Zach

You like the ARB over the AllPro? Why? I ask because I am looking for a lightweight bumper for desert running and some rock work. ARB has got to be heavy -anyone know how much it weighs?

·
Registered
235 Posts
I want to say mine weighs a hair over 100 lbs. I like the durability of it though. I have bounced it off rocks and rested the truck on it. In my opinion they did their homework on this one and it shows.

·
Registered
76 Posts
to my knowledge, the arb bumper is the only one tested and proven to maintain factory airbag effectiveness. but there may be new options available that can claim that too, i don't know.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
mandzach said:
You like the ARB over the AllPro? Why? I ask because I am looking for a lightweight bumper for desert running and some rock work. ARB has got to be heavy -anyone know how much it weighs?
you just answered your own question. "desert running"

1 - 20 of 58 Posts