TTORA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 2004 Tacoma 4x4 extra cab,v-6. I'm looking into puting on a ARB winch bumper and was wondering if I will need to put new springs on up front or will the stock ones handle the extra weight? My local shop says something different every time I ask them!!! Thanks for any info.

·
The Satanic Panic
609 Posts
mine sagged about 1/2 an inch on the stock springs, only issue is if u plan on winching, with the ARBs on the 2001 and up you gotta reinforce the front since ur frame isnt long enough, they supply a spacer to compensate, but it really doesnt do anything for strength, ive read a lot of stories where guys have welded a plate on the very end of the frame to solve this issue, another option is the badland bumpers, i wish i had gone with them www.badlandbumpers.com/

·
Deal Master
2,775 Posts
adamusmcguy said:
I have a 2004 Tacoma 4x4 extra cab,v-6. I'm looking into puting on a ARB winch bumper and was wondering if I will need to put new springs on up front or will the stock ones handle the extra weight? My local shop says something different every time I ask them!!! Thanks for any info.
I was running 2.5 in spacers & 32" tires without any probs-
When I added the Bullbar- my front end dropped 0.5-0.75 inches

I replaced the spacers with King Coilovers before I added a winch-

·
Registered
117 Posts
With the added weight It will droop a bit, but it will also add bounce the the front end. I would upgrade springs and struts in front before I purchased the bumper and winch. I have 99Tacoma with ARB and Winch, and also a 2004 Tacoma DCAB, no winch. I speak from experience.

·
Registered
532 Posts
so obviously a heavy bumper will add alot of weight to the front of the truck and pull it down a little but it should be fine for the most part on stock suspension unless you add a winch, is that right? the link provided estimates the winch adds about another 100 lbs and makes the truck sag even on after market suspension but supports better than stock. my question is, i have a trd suspension on mine, will it be able to support a bumper and winch or just the bumper?

·
Going John Galt
31,846 Posts
purity said:
so obviously a heavy bumper will add alot of weight to the front of the truck and pull it down a little but it should be fine for the most part on stock suspension unless you add a winch, is that right? the link provided estimates the winch adds about another 100 lbs and makes the truck sag even on after market suspension but supports better than stock. my question is, i have a trd suspension on mine, will it be able to support a bumper and winch or just the bumper?
the ARB bumper weighs 70# and stock springs/shocks will handle that with minimal sag. But, add another 100# of winch/cable/rollers to the nose and forget it. you will need to upgrade your springs/shocks, period. Just adding spacers does not help; heavier coils and shocks are needed.

another option is what SteveO did...added just the winch by fabbing a mount bracket behind the OE bumper. So far, so good.

·
Registered
246 Posts
IMO, the TRD stock suspension is okay for a stock-ish truck with light-duty trail use. Beyond that, I think it is fairly weak as far as supporting any aftermarket weight, or providing control and stability of the truck going at any rate of speed while on dirt trails. (it just feels sloppy).

·
Registered
246 Posts
Thank you sir :D

BTW, I revised that page a little bit - a friend pointed out to me that my quote of 100 lbs. for a typical winch might be a little steep. So I revised to 80 - 100 lbs. I also tried to add a little more clarification about what I am trying to say. I am not against adding the weight/accessories to the truck (obviously - look at mine) but I am just trying to say that the production coilovers aren't at optimum performance for a bunch of "heavy" mods, and if someone wants the BEST performance, then a specific app. valved suspension is the way to go. I wish I could afford to do mine that way right now. But I can't complain too much - it works pretty good.

·
Old Timer
266 Posts
hytenor said:
the ARB bumper weighs 70# and stock springs/shocks will handle that with minimal sag. But, add another 100# of winch/cable/rollers to the nose and forget it. you will need to upgrade your springs/shocks, period. Just adding spacers does not help; heavier coils and shocks are needed.

another option is what SteveO did...added just the winch by fabbing a mount bracket behind the OE bumper. So far, so good.
If one goes with winch rope and a billet fair lead you can save 50# or so. I did this and noticed a difference..... :welder:

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
hytenor said:
Hey Chris, I think the front end is starting to sag after our last trip where I winched about 15 times. The weight of the front end isn't the problem in my case, it's the extra forces on the coils from winching. I think it will be a new lift set-up this summer to sort out the front end. I'm thinking 'Hoes or drop bracket unless you Norcal guys have some time this summer and are up for a SAS-A-thon with a visitor who doesn't know how to do it himself. :D

·
Registered
228 Posts
I'm getting ready to put on an ARB and M8000. I went with the Downey coil overs in the front (600 lb springs), and 1.5" shackles in the rear. It will be a few weeks until it's all on, but I'll let you know how it goes once it's there.

The winch weights I've seen here have been high, as Baja mentioned. The weight of the M8000 with cable is 72 lbs, according to my bathroom scale. So, and ARB with M8000 should set you back about 150 lbs up front. I am going to personally stick with the cable for now at least. If that does bad, I will go to synthetic, maybe, but not until then. Too damn many razor sharp rocks in Arizona for me to go to synthetic.

·
Registered
73 Posts
tanKoma said:
...only issue is if u plan on winching, with the ARBs on the 2001 and up you gotta reinforce the front since ur frame isnt long enough, they supply a spacer to compensate, but it really doesnt do anything for strength, ive read a lot of stories where guys have welded a plate on the very end of the frame to solve this issue...
The above is correct. ARB bumpers are far stronger than the Tacoma frame ends. If you get into anything serious, the frame ends will fail from the winch load. Search over on Yotatech for the post concerning this, complete with pics showing the failure and the repair. I used them to have the upgrade done.

·
Keyser Soze
546 Posts
platform389 said:
The above is correct. ARB bumpers are far stronger than the Tacoma frame ends. If you get into anything serious, the frame ends will fail from the winch load. Search over on Yotatech for the post concerning this, complete with pics showing the failure and the repair. I used them to have the upgrade done.
http://www.wattora.com/mods/endcap/

·
Going John Galt
31,846 Posts
sagexp said:
I'm getting ready to put on an ARB and M8000. I went with the Downey coil overs in the front (600 lb springs), and 1.5" shackles in the rear. It will be a few weeks until it's all on, but I'll let you know how it goes once it's there.

The winch weights I've seen here have been high, as Baja mentioned. The weight of the M8000 with cable is 72 lbs, according to my bathroom scale. So, and ARB with M8000 should set you back about 150 lbs up front. I am going to personally stick with the cable for now at least. If that does bad, I will go to synthetic, maybe, but not until then. Too damn many razor sharp rocks in Arizona for me to go to synthetic.
well aall be derned ;) All this time I was figuring the winch and cable separate. So, the 74# that the Warn site lists for the M8000 includes the cable, cool. I know the cable and rollers weigh 55# since that's what the box weighed when I shipped them out after getting Amsteel and a fairlead.

did your weight include the rollers?

·
Going John Galt
31,846 Posts
SteveO said:
Hey Chris, I think the front end is starting to sag after our last trip where I winched about 15 times. The weight of the front end isn't the problem in my case, it's the extra forces on the coils from winching. I think it will be a new lift set-up this summer to sort out the front end. I'm thinking 'Hoes or drop bracket unless you Norcal guys have some time this summer and are up for a SAS-A-thon with a visitor who doesn't know how to do it himself. :D
don't get too heavy a coil or you'll lose flex. I don't get near the flex with these 675# SAWs that I had with the OMEs. :( I think I'll try some 600 or 650s from Eibach one of these days.

SAS is easy...all it takes is $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ :D

1 - 20 of 39 Posts