TTORA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to make a thread for the install of the ARB Snorkel, using their information from their site. I will also edit this post in the next few days to show how to modify the install slightly to fit the TRD CAI . I will use mine as an example with pictures and step by step install instructions.

Anyone planing on running a Snorkel you should also look at this thread for relocating your "Rear" Diff & Locker breathers.
http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=81142

Toyota FJ Cruiser 1GRFE 4.0Litre-V6

PARTS LIST

Item -----Description -----------Qty ----Part Number

1 ----Body – Snorkel (SS410HF)---------------1------340-133-000
2 ----3 ½” Air Ram Assembly------------------1------000-135-6
3 ----Bracket – Upper Mounting---------------1------340-032-000
4 ----Bolt–Hex–6mm x 1.0 x 14mm (SEMS)-----3------000-002-100
5 ----Screw – S/T 4.2mm x 16mm-------------3------000-951-300
6 ----Insert – Plastic-------------------------3-------000-960
7 ----Stud – S/S – 8mm x 1.25 x 25mm – O/L--8-------000-110
8 ----Washer – Body – 8mm x 30mm-----------8-------000-311
9 ----Nut – Nyloc - 8mm x 1.25mm-------------8------000-205
10 ---Hose – Air Entry-------------------------1------340-024-000
11 ---Clamp – Hose – 80/100mm---------------1-------000-909
12 ---Clamp – Hose – 90/110mm---------------1-------000-910
13 ---Hose Clamp – Size 56 (Black)-------------1-------000-914/B
14 ---Template--------------------------------1-------340-017-000

Installation Guide
1. Fitment to: Right Hand Side
Fitting Time: 120min
2. Special Tools:105mm hole saw
Step drill
Hack saw/air hack saw
Loctite(thread lock)

Prior to commencing the installation, it is the installer's responsibility to verify that all components and particularly the template (Item 14) are correct.

1. Remove the RHS inner fender liner and the engine air intake duct from engine bay in accordance with the factory service manual.

2. Remove and discard the air intake duct from inner fender.

3. Tape the template (Item 14) to the rear and upper edges of the right hand fender. With the template correctly positioned on the fender use a felt tip pen to mark all hole positions, then remove the template.

4. Drill a pilot hole for each marked hole position.

5. Using a 105mm hole saw, drill the snorkel body outlet hole.

6. Using a step drill, drill the eight mounting hole positions to 16mm.

7. Deburr and paint holes to prevent rust.

8. Apply loctite to all eight studs (Item 7) and install the studs into the snorkel body mounting inserts (Item 1).

9. Place masking tape along the a-pillar trim where required and fasten the upper mounting bracket (Item 3) to the snorkel body (Item 1) with three bolts (Item 4). Carefully install the snorkel body onto the fender. With the snorkel body correctly positioned, mark the three upper mounting bracket hole positions on the 'A' Pillar trim. N.B: The mounting holes should be approx. 1.6" - 1.75" to the edge of the 'A' pillar trim.

10. Remove the snorkel body from the fender. Remove the upper mounting bracket from the snorkel body.

11. Drill a pilot hole for each marked hole position on the 'A' pillar, then drill to 8mm (deburr and paint holes to prevent rust).

12. Install the plastic inserts (Item 6) into the 'A' pillar trim.

13. Install the upper mounting bracket (Item 3) and fasten into position using self tapping screws (Item 5).

14. Carefully install the snorkel body to the fender. Align the snorkel body to the upper mounting bracket and the fender panel. When correctly aligned, fasten the snorkel body to the fender panel with body washer (Item 8) and Nyloc nut (Item 9). Fasten the snorkel body to the upper mounting bracket with hex bolts (Item 4).

15. Using a hack saw or body air saw, cut the bead section from the front of the stock engine air intake duct as shown. Ensure that the maximum length of straight section is achieved.

16. Loosely install the 90/110 stainless steel hose clamp (Item 12) over the snorkel body outlet.

17. Install the air entry hose (Item 10) to the snorkel body outlet. Do not tighten the hose clamp yet.

18. The engine air intake duct and the air cleaner housing may have a number of drain holes as shown. It is up to the installer to determine whether the holes should all be totally sealed off to prevent any water from entering the air intake system when immersed to that depth of water.

19. Loosely install the 80/100 stainless steel hose clamp (Item 11) over other end of the air entry hose (Item 10).

20. Install the modified engine air intake duct into the air entry hose (Item 10). Fasten the engine air intake duct using the stock fasteners.

21. Orientate the hose to achieve the best alignment and tighten the 90/110mm (Item 12) and 80/100mm (Item 11) hose clamps.

22. Install the stock air cleaner housing and reconnect the engine air intake duct to the air cleaner assembly.

23. Loosely install the black hose clamp (Item 13) to the base of the air ram (Item 2) and install the air ram (Item 2) to the top of the snorkel body (Item 1).

24. Align the air ram and tighten the black hose clamp (Item 13.

25. Install the RHS inner fender liner and any other items that may have been removed during the snorkel installation process.

It is the installer's responsibility to ensure that all connections are watertight.

Link : Safari - Snorkels

Anyone that has a TRD or URD CAI, here is the MOD Install information.

I removed my CAI box this afternoon to check dimensions for the intake.

The CAI box intake opening is oblong shaped. I thought this was going to be very challenging to find something that will fit over it and remain water tight.

So off I went to my local Hardware store exploring all the nooks and crannies for anything that would work. I was on a mission, the fate of the Snorkel / CAI group weighed heavy upon my shoulders. Alas, I may have found exactly what we may need. I made my purchase and rushed back home to disassemble my CAI again.

I found it would stretch perfectly around the strange shape opening and would secure it tight enough for no water to penetrate. The next problem was the reduced side is still to large, it needs to be another inch smaller in diameter.
So

I ran inside googled up the manufacture and went through all their fitting and low and behold the perfect one, the one that I have been searching for! Number 1002-43! The I.D. is 5.25” x 3.38” I.D. awesome, so with part number in hand, I rush back down to my local hardware store, and ask if they would order one for me. They look in the book, and say, nope we can’t order that part, it’s not in our book. I say, ok, I’ll go order it online, thanks. I returned the other one.

I return home and jump on the computer and look up the number to the manufacture, and make a call. I speak to some lady on the other end. I ask her that I would like to place an order, she asks what’s the name of my company, I say, I’m not a company. She say’s sorry, we don’t sell to the public. I say ok, can I have one of your large pluming supply companies, I will buy it online. She say’s, I don’t know of any…Now I’m getting a little frustrated, so I state, that’s fine, I thank her, hang up and googled the part number with the name of the manufacture. I find an online hardware store and find the part 1002-43 then place my credit card order. https://www.mclendons.com/item.asp?sku=61013760&from=search

Now it’s just a matter of time until my Snorkel/CAI adapter arrives in the mail. Stay stunned everyone, more details and pic’s to come :D

Here is a link to my Orginal post.
http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/4x4-off-road-tech/37115-arb-safari-snorkel-install-instructions-w-pics.html

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
geeeze you have to drill a crap load of holes. 11, wow. I only had to do 6 for my snorkel and that was bad enough.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Awesome write-up, man! Glad to see someone took the time and effort to document this so well! Thanks a lot!!!

-Radar

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeh, I noticed that too, when I installed a ARB Snorkel on my 85 Toyota Pickup, you didn't have very many holes to make. The one thing I have learned over the years is that ARB knows what they are doing. They have the perfect testing grounds in some of the World's most harsh's envrionment. I really don't care how many holes I have to drill, as long as I have the peace of mind that I'm not going to get water in my engine and that my motor wil breath better getting ambient air to it. :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts