TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Cracker
5,648 Posts
ptrautne said:
Does any one know where to get the Snorkle cheaper then the link below?

http://www.rocky-road.com/tacoma.html
Paul, just so you know, at $244 and absorbing shipping they are selling it at less than $5 over cost, so I wouldn't jack around too much. That is a great deal.

·
Long lost Taco Owner
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
valkyrie said:
Paul, just so you know, at $244 and absorbing shipping they are selling it at less than $5 over cost, so I wouldn't jack around too much. That is a great deal.
Thanks for the info chris

·
Registered
22 Posts
Thats about the cheapest your going to find

·
Registered
288 Posts
My snorkel system cost me $10 and I don't have to cut a hole thru my fender to install it. Recently, 3 friends brought their rigs by my house and we installed the same system. They keep 100% of the water out and the only way you could ever flood the eingine is to fill the cab with water, but by then the electronics would have failed.

can't find original picture, so here's a link to a copy of my original write-up...

http://www.ultimateyota.com/index.php?option=com_openwiki&Itemid=60&id=wiki:internalsnorkel

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
BruceTS said:
My snorkel system cost me $10 and I don't have to cut a hole thru my fender to install it. Recently, 3 friends brought their rigs by my house and we installed the same system. They keep 100% of the water out and the only way you could ever flood the eingine is to fill the cab with water, but by then the electronics would have failed.

where do they route to in the cab?

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
BruceTS said:

So do you just leave your fender off all the time :confused:

·
Registered
288 Posts
YoTRacer158 said:
where do they route to in the cab?
I have the deckplate mod done as well, so for my DD I plug the snorkel, unless there's a chance I'll be hitting some water. Yes it goes directly into the cab, but there isn't much side effects, except for a bit louder intake noise, similar to the K&N FIPK. While offroad, I never even notice the difference in noise.

KStacoma said:
So do you just leave your fender off all the time :confused:
That was a poseur shot after we finished installing the piping, the whole system fit neatly under the stock fenders.

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
BruceTS said:
That was a poseur shot after we finished installing the piping, the whole system fit neatly under the stock fenders.
But now you don't have the bling bling factor and everybody pointing at your snorkle going WTF? I do like the stealth idea of it though.. :D

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
BruceTS said:
I have the deckplate mod done as well, so for my DD I plug the snorkel, unless there's a chance I'll be hitting some water. Yes it goes directly into the cab, but there isn't much side effects, except for a bit louder intake noise, similar to the K&N FIPK. While offroad, I never even notice the difference in noise.
so you just ran it through the firewall and it comes out under the glove box or what?

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
i'm assuming thats a shot of inside the fender...helps a lot thanks

·
Registered
895 Posts
I made my own snorkel for a 2003 tacoma. It was a bit of a guess work, so the hole in the fender ended up a bit too big, but it seems to work fine and cost me only $30 including the sensor safe silicone sealant that I used to waterprove all the pipe connections, including original pipe to the airbox, little holes in the airbox, airbox cap seal, and all the new pipe connections. I used a 2" abs piping and a number of different bends. Check out the pictures of the thing in action at http://ucsdcycling.org/modules.php?set_albumName=offroad-adventure&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php. I think a 2.5" pipe would have been better for the intake, as with 2" one it seems like the engine doesn't get quite as much air as before when the truck isn't moving or moving slowly. On the freeway I think there is more air pushed in then before. I kinda solve the problem of bad intake at slow speed by taking out the cap from the front of the box (the well known dec plate mod) when it isn't raining and no pudles expected. But 2.5" pipe would have been harder to fit in the fender. Also I am considering another cap for the end of the snorkel. I don't have pictures of the connections inside the fender, but can take some and post them if anybody is interested.

·
Stinks like fish
986 Posts
BruceTS said:
I hope this helps;
HMM This seems this would be even more sanitary than an external snorkel. Windows up AC on and cool clean air instead iof an air filter full of sand... ANy more info is appreciated.

·
Registered
933 Posts
With the proper bends you can run a 3" pvc inside the fender. I ran One from the air box to the old location, but I'm torn as to which way to go with the snorkel. Right now it turns back into the engine bay and is hooked up to my glassworks hood scoop. It sounds great but i only see a difference over 70. Not the I drive that fast.

·
Registered
203 Posts
BruceTS said:
I hope this helps;
Do you have any additional information on what you did, size of tubing, where you entered into the cab, or a write up? It looks like a great idea and much more logical than cutting a large hole in the side of the fender.. and cheaper too, which is always good!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
About this Discussion
22 Replies
15 Participants
BruceTS
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing