TTORA Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to hear from folks who have a ARB winch bumper or have a Shrockworks winch bumper. Im planning on adding one with a winch to my 05 Tacoma. 3" lift w/ 33's
anyone have experience in this, if you vote ARB please tell me why, and vis versa. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
4,489 Posts
this thread has been covered many times here are a few pros and cons

Do you like the tubing on top of the bumper ? if NOT

ARB does not offer a tubless bumper
ARB does not offer a body lift version of their bumper so if u buy one and add a body lift at a later date u gotta pay someone to modify your bumper to accomidate the body lift.

Shrockworks offers a no tube bumper
Shrockworks offers a body lift version of the bumper.

its all personal preference both bumpers are similar in pricing.

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
I would like to hear from folks who have a ARB winch bumper or have a Shrockworks winch bumper. Im planning on adding one with a winch to my 05 Tacoma. 3" lift w/ 33's
anyone have experience in this, if you vote ARB please tell me why, and vis versa. Thanks for the input.
the main difference is, ARB is airbag compliant while the shrockworks isnt.. if you dont care about that get the shrockworks :D

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
anyone have pics of shrockworks bumpers?

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
shrockworks.com

·
Registered
4,489 Posts
the main difference is, ARB is airbag compliant while the shrockworks isnt.. if you dont care about that get the shrockworks :D
I dont know how you gather our bumpers are not airbag compliant. a front end impact regardless of what bumper u choose will deploy the airbags.

·
Registered
4,489 Posts
im just stating a fact... they do not integrate crumple zones and they arent crash tested...
true we have done no crash testing and the bumper has no crumple zones but i'd stake my life on the fact the airbags will deploy regardless of some crumple zone. I'll be adding one of the prototype 95.5-04 bumpers to my truck soon as its shipped to us .

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
true we have done no crash testing
where are the results?
and the bumper has no crumple zones but i'd stake my life on the fact the airbags will deploy regardless of some crumple zone.
you are right.. they will deploy whether it has a crumple zone or not, but they may deploy later then they were intended.
ARB said:
AIR BAG COMPATIBILITY

With an air bag equipped 4x4 it is essential that the vehicle's crush rate and air bag triggering is not altered when a bull bar is installed. To ensure compatibility, ARB assesses each vehicle's frontal crush characteristics and replicates the crush rate into the design of each air bag compatible bull bar and its mounting system. This method enables engineers to achieve maximum possible vehicle and passenger protection without affecting the crash pulse. ARB has invested heavily in vehicle crash barrier tests to validate the performance and compliance of its air bag compatible bull bars, and as a consequence, our bars offer a far greater level of protection than most standard brush guards and grille guards.

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
lol. by the time the force of the impact transfers to the truck and it begins to crumple, your head may already be in the steering wheel.
thats exactly my point... your head may be in the steering wheel when it goes off...

**im not trying to turn this into a shrockworks bashing thread.. just stating the only difference between the two**

·
Registered
871 Posts
Okay, so the force of an impact will go faster through a crumple zone, then through a straight piece of metal? If you hit something with the front of your truck, and the force applied is enough to trigger a shock sensor and the airbag ecu detects rapid deceleration, then the airbag(s) will go off. The type of bumper has no effect. The force and shock of an accident will not move slower through a shrockwork bumper then it will through an arb.

·
Registered
111 Posts
i've got an arb. it fit before and after my 1.5" body lift. it doesnt have crumple zones though as its a prado bar not a taco bar so its got slightly different mounts. it was a toss up between arb & tjm. shrockworks didnt have any for my truck. i went with the arb from trdparts4u.com for a really good price and havent looked back since. the shrockworks ones look nice though..i like the lines of it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I've looked them both over up close and the Shrockworks looks like a higher quality item to me. I went with shrock although I ordered it 2 months ago and who knows when it will get here. Also, I did want no hoops and ARB didn't offer that option. ...just my 2 pennies

·
Premium Member
924 Posts
I think the requirement is probably the other way. As in the airbags are not meant to deploy in front end impacts below 1mph or some such speed. That would seem to make more sense for the addition of crush zones. They would soften smaller impacts before they get to the sensors.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts