TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The pressure switch I had originally from arb broke, so I replaced it with a viair heavy duty pressure switch 85/105 with a built in relay. I hooked up the relay as per the instructions making sure the fused power wire connected to the right wire, pressure switch wire, ground wire, and and so forth. The compressor will turn on fine and run until the pressure switch turns off the compressor like its supposed to. However when the pressure drops below 85, the compressor tries to turn back on, but the fuses blow immediately every time.

I went through damn near a dozen fuses trying to get it to work. I checked all the wiring and connections as best as I could, I grounded it in two different places and two no avail it still blows the fuse.

I'm at a loss and need help, thanks.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
tacomausmc said:
The pressure switch I had originally from arb broke, so I replaced it with a viair heavy duty pressure switch 85/105 with a built in relay. I hooked up the relay as per the instructions making sure the fused power wire connected to the right wire, pressure switch wire, ground wire, and and so forth. The compressor will turn on fine and run until the pressure switch turns off the compressor like its supposed to. However when the pressure drops below 85, the compressor tries to turn back on, but the fuses blow immediately every time.

I went through damn near a dozen fuses trying to get it to work. I checked all the wiring and connections as best as I could, I grounded it in two different places and two no avail it still blows the fuse.

I'm at a loss and need help, thanks.
What size fuse are you using? For the ARB compressor it should be fed with a #10 wire and have a 30A fuse. The reason it may be blowing when it restarts and not filling the first time is the compressor is trying to start against a higher head pressure and the inrush current on the motor is more than your fuse rating. Does the compressor even sound like it's trying to pump before the fuse blows?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
SteveO said:
What size fuse are you using? For the ARB compressor it should be fed with a #10 wire and have a 30A fuse. The reason it may be blowing when it restarts and not filling the first time is the compressor is trying to start against a higher head pressure and the inrush current on the motor is more than your fuse rating. Does the compressor even sound like it's trying to pump before the fuse blows?
I am using 30A fuses, the wiring is all the same from the original wiring harness. No the compressor does not even sound like its trying to start when the fuse blows.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Can you use a higher fuse to see if it blows? If the higher fuse holds, steveO is probably right about the inrush current. If you empty the tank and fill it up from zero does it still trip the fuse? There are time delay fuses for that kind of problem, but I don't know if they make them for that application. you could ask a local electrical supply.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
CNADNtacoma said:
Can you use a higher fuse to see if it blows? If the higher fuse holds, steveO is probably right about the inrush current. If you empty the tank and fill it up from zero does it still trip the fuse? There are time delay fuses for that kind of problem, but I don't know if they make them for that application. you could ask a local electrical supply.
If I go to the next higher fuse, 40A I think, are there any problems I might encounter?

·
Registered
338 Posts
You should not continuously use a 40A fuse if the 30A is the max. size recomended for the pump. I suggested the higher fuse just to see if it is an inrush problem. If it blows at 40A it may not be an inrush problem. If it is just the inrush current and you can find a time delay type fuse, get the 30A time delay.
Basically you have to eliminate potential causes one at a time.

·
Registered
338 Posts
tacomausmc said:
The pressure switch I had originally from arb broke, so I replaced it with a viair heavy duty pressure switch 85/105 with a built in relay.
You may want to get an ARB switch. Did the original come with a relay?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
CNADNtacoma said:
You should not continuously use a 40A fuse if the 30A is the max. size recomended for the pump. I suggested the higher fuse just to see if it is an inrush problem. If it blows at 40A it may not be an inrush problem. If it is just the inrush current and you can find a time delay type fuse, get the 30A time delay.
Basically you have to eliminate potential causes one at a time.
So this might be a fix for the problem, but what started to cause it? It was working fine before I was having intermitent pressure switch problems. Basically the housing on the pressure switch cracked, causing one of the terminals to become loose and it was shorting out. So I bout a new pressure switch and now the fuse keeps blowing

·
Registered
338 Posts
If the orginal switch didn't have a relay, I'd try to find a new one without a relay. Even though they may be simmilar to each other they may still not be compatable. The relay may some how causing the problem. I making my best guess, but I can't guarante it the right one. If it says 30A max. then don't use anything higher. The 40A is temporary just to test for inrush.

·
Registered
338 Posts
sorry, I was still writing when you posted that. did you remove the old relay? the link says the new switch will go up to 40A. Check what the manufacurer say for the fuse for the pump.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah i removed the old relay. For the arb it recommends a 30A fuse. Could the 40A relay be causing a problem with the 30A fuse?

·
Registered
338 Posts
The relay can handle a max laod of 40A. Its fine if the fuse is less. The fuse must have an equal or lesser Amp rating than all other components, but never a higher amp rating. Are you sure that the pressure switch was the original problem or that you might have had two problems, but couldn't tell until the first one was fixed. I'm not really sure what other advice to give you without having it infront of me. Sorry, if I could not help.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I took the pressure switch out of the equation and hooked the two wires directly together simulating that the pressure switch is always below the rated PSI. I hooked up the original relay and still had the same problem.

I then did some testing and I can start and stop the compressor just fine until it reaches over 50 PSI. Anything over 50 and it blows the fuse when trying to start against the higher pressure. The compressor doesn't even want to kick on at over 50, it just immediately blows the fuse. I then tried a 40A fuse and it still blew the fuse just the same.

I don't know what to do, but I am running out of fuses =(

·
Registered
338 Posts
Does the compressor need to be serviced? Are there any parts you can lube or is there dirt or dust build up that may be puting extra strain on the compressor? You seem to have wired it right so I'd start looking at the compressor.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Sounds to me like you have a bad connection somewhere on your votlage supply to the compressor. If you're getting a lower than rated voltage at the compressor then you will get a higher current at the compressor giving you worse performance and blown fuses. Check where your wires connect at the battery and clean your connections. Let us know if that helps. ....Steve

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
tacomausmc said:
I'll check the voltage going to the compressor using a multimeter.
Make sure the truck is running and the comrpessor is on. That way you'll see the line drop from the wire and connections. Put the meter on the compressor, check the voltage and turn it on. If the votlage drops a fair bit while the compressor's running it could be a bad connection. ....Steve

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I ended up checking the voltage with the multimeter the voltage seemed fine while the compressor was running.

So I broke down and called ARB (probably the first thing I should have done). They never had really heard of a problem quite like this before, but came to the same conclusion that the wiring seems fine and its an internal compressor problem. So I sent it back to them (under warrenty). Hopefully they will be able to fix it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts