TTORA Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Going John Galt
Joined
·
37,497 Posts
Will Knox said:
The ARB wiring harnes needs to splice into ignition and dash illumination. Anybody know the color and location of these wires. I'm pretty sure I can find ignition since it has its own fuse.
I just used a fuse tip into the driver's side fuse panel for 'dome' light of some other interior fuse tied to the lights.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
2,626 Posts
Will Knox said:
The ARB wiring harnes needs to splice into ignition and dash illumination. Anybody know the color and location of these wires. I'm pretty sure I can find ignition since it has its own fuse.

If you do like Hytenor says, it will work fine, but it will not dim with the dimmer knob...remove the dimmer wiring from the dimmer itself, and tap into the dimmer plug wire, that way your ARB lights will dim along with the dash lights....on my '97 it is the white/green stripe wire.

Andy
 

· Going John Galt
Joined
·
37,497 Posts
Angry Andy said:
If you do like Hytenor says, it will work fine, but it will not dim with the dimmer knob...remove the dimmer wiring from the dimmer itself, and tap into the dimmer plug wire, that way your ARB lights will dim along with the dash lights....on my '97 it is the white/green stripe wire.

Andy
dang, good idea ;)

...adds to 'to-do' list...
 

· Going John Galt
Joined
·
37,497 Posts
ocdp2000 said:
because im a jerk, whats an ARB wire. this is my one thing im going to learn today.
thanks
it is a wire for your ARB ;) actually, if you have an ARB you have several different wires that all be called ARB wires.
does that help?
 

· Registered
Joined
·
2,626 Posts
the "one" wire I was referring to is dimmed 12v...you should only need to tap that wire, the other end of your bulb (in the ARB switch itself) goes to ground. (pin 7 on your ARB switch should be grouded, thats the ass end of the bulb. Pin 6 of the ARB switch should go to the dimmed 12v).

Hook it up like that and the light on the ARB will dim.

Keep in mind, it will dim even when the switch position is on OR off. It will act as another dash light. Personally, I dont mind that, it helps me locate the switch in my clusterfuck of crap on my dash.

If you want the light on the ARB switch to only be on when the switch is ENERGIZED, according to the scematic you would need to connect pin 6 of the ARB switch to pin 3 of the ARB switch. (and grounding pins 7 and 8). With that method, your ARB light would be in 'parallel' with your ARB solenoid; and only come on when the switch itself is on....and NOT dimmed.
 

· Going John Galt
Joined
·
37,497 Posts
Angry Andy said:
the "one" wire I was referring to is dimmed 12v...you should only need to tap that wire, the other end of your bulb (in the ARB switch itself) goes to ground. (pin 7 on your ARB switch should be grouded, thats the ass end of the bulb. Pin 6 of the ARB switch should go to the dimmed 12v).

Hook it up like that and the light on the ARB will dim.

Keep in mind, it will dim even when the switch position is on OR off. It will act as another dash light. Personally, I dont mind that, it helps me locate the switch in my clusterfuck of crap on my dash.

If you want the light on the ARB switch to only be on when the switch is ENERGIZED, according to the scematic you would need to connect pin 6 of the ARB switch to pin 3 of the ARB switch. (and grounding pins 7 and 8). With that method, your ARB light would be in 'parallel' with your ARB solenoid; and only come on when the switch itself is on....and NOT dimmed.
now that I think about it my ARB switch lights are always on (at least the lower portion is) whether or not my lights are on. I guess I just have the whole thing plugged into a 'hot' lead of some sort and not the 'dome' necessarily. The entire light lights up when you engage the switch, however, but this happens with headlights on or off.

now, just because of you, I'll have to tear into them and see what the heck I did, LOL
 

· Going John Galt
Joined
·
37,497 Posts
ocdp2000 said:
ah damn, i wanted to know what ARB stood for like, Alignment Roast Beef.
Hmm, actually a good question; I'll ask Tim the next time i talk to him. ;)
 

· Registered
Joined
·
2,626 Posts
arb initials...

ocdp2000 said:
ah damn, i wanted to know what ARB stood for like, Alignment Roast Beef.
According to the ARB website...

"...ARB – the initials of Anthony Ronald Brown – was founded..."

so there.....
 

· Going John Galt
Joined
·
37,497 Posts
Angry Andy said:
According to the ARB website...

"...ARB – the initials of Anthony Ronald Brown – was founded..."

so there.....
you're so smart :p
 

· Registered
Joined
·
2,768 Posts
Bringing this thread back from the dead....So has anybody actually got their arb switches to dim correctly with the dash lights? Using the method angry andy says still dims the lights opposite of what is happening on the dash(lights on switch off, lights off switch on). Seems like this is a problem with all Toyota's but I would like to have mine dim correctly with the rest of the dash.
 

· Going John Galt
Joined
·
37,497 Posts
Bringing this thread back from the dead....So has anybody actually got their arb switches to dim correctly with the dash lights? Using the method angry andy says still dims the lights opposite of what is happening on the dash(lights on switch off, lights off switch on). Seems like this is a problem with all Toyota's but I would like to have mine dim correctly with the rest of the dash.
heck...don't even know if AA even has a 4x4 anymore :p
I never did anything with mine.
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top