TTORA Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had this "problem" as long as I've owned the car, but I'm curious whether other Tacoma owners have the same problem:

The directional controls for the heater / AC / fan on my '04 ext. cab Taco don't work well. Regardless of which setting its set to (even defrost), air is always coming out of the driver's side dash vent. If I close that vent, airflow increases dramatically to whatever setting I have it set to. The dash & foot setting is absolutely useless. Practically no air makes it to the foot vents when that setting is used. The driver's side and passenger side dash vents are much stronger compared with the center dash vents.

You'd think that a car that originally cost $20k+ would have a decent ventilation system. Does anyone else have this trouble?

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
i have had that trouble on my last 2 tacoma's too. I just got used to it and now that I read this thread I am going to go get in my truck and get pissed off at it all over again.

·
Registered
169 Posts
yeah I have an 03 and have the same problem, I have the vents manually opened right now, but if I change the setting at all, to defrost or feet, it messes the "doors" up and they get stuck... causing the horrible air flow. I hate it but have also lived with it since I have owned the taco. When mine is bad it only comes out of the corner vents, no air comes out of the center. Has anyone asked Toyota about this?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Same here, but not a problem
what do you mean, you don't have this airflow restriction, or you do and don't mind? IMO it's a pain not being able to defrost the windows or get any ac or heat due to this problem, but paying some high $$$$ bill for repair isn't appealing on the other hand. Has anyone tried fixing this on their own?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
IMO it's a pain not being able to defrost the windows or get any ac or heat due to this problem, but paying some high $$$$ bill for repair isn't appealing on the other hand.
Well, I guess I'm happy that I'm not the only Taco owner with messed-up vents. I wouldn't go so far as to say that I don't "get any ac or heat", though. Air still comes out, even if it is through the driver's side vent. It's not too much of a hassle to flip the switch below the vent and close it.

If you're not getting any air, Bagal... that sounds like a more serious problem than the mere annoyance that I described.

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
The driver and pass vent stay open all the time unless you manualy close them. Its a defrost feature for the side windows. Thats why them 2 are the only ones with a manual shut off. There is nothing wrong.

·
Registered
401 Posts
03 tundra here does the same, i get air flow even when the air and vents are turned off! :mad:

·
Registered
23 Posts
My vents just calfed...

So I try to put my vents on defrost this am as the window all covered in frost, but not go, all the heat and air just come out the side and middle vents, none out the windshield vents. When I turn the knob to to change vents it does not feel like it is clicking like it usually does. Now is this a fuse problem or what exactly changes the flow from floor to middle to side to windshield vents? I have tonns of air and heat but only out the middle and side window vents. Just started this a.m. -2004 Tacoma dble cab. tks, Pat

·
Registered
133 Posts
99 Tacoma same issue. My theory was just that the air comes in the vent system from the sides and when you have those far side vents open, not much comes out of the middle two. I just thought thats the way there were, poor design. If i close the vent by my left hand that always blows on it when its on the wheel, i get air from the middle vents. What I would like to know is why the defroster turns on my ac compressor killing my mileage?!?!?

·
Registered
776 Posts
I had the same problem with my CRX... I had it on feet when it failed and could not get the car to defrost. It took me a an hour to get the defrost vents working and I never changed the setting after that. I do this with all my cars now, leave it on defrost for fear it might break and I wont be able to defrost when i need to.

·
Registered
4,793 Posts
I've had this "problem" as long as I've owned the car, but I'm curious whether other Tacoma owners have the same problem:

The directional controls for the heater / AC / fan on my '04 ext. cab Taco don't work well. Regardless of which setting its set to (even defrost), air is always coming out of the driver's side dash vent. If I close that vent, airflow increases dramatically to whatever setting I have it set to. The dash & foot setting is absolutely useless. Practically no air makes it to the foot vents when that setting is used. The driver's side and passenger side dash vents are much stronger compared with the center dash vents.

You'd think that a car that originally cost $20k+ would have a decent ventilation system. Does anyone else have this trouble?

its not a problem... it is designed that way. pretty much all toyota vehicles are designed that way. even the brand new ones. your controls work just fine.

·
Registered
299 Posts
its not a problem... it is designed that way. pretty much all toyota vehicles are designed that way. even the brand new ones. your controls work just fine.
I would like to modify this and say "your controls work just as designed"

·
Registered
4,793 Posts
I would like to modify this and say "your controls work just as designed"
either way sounds fine to me.... it has never bothered me with all of my toyota vehicles. but i guess it could bother someone..... somehow

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm having issues with the flapper doors on my my A/C in my 2002 taco. If I have the stereo off and sitting at idle, I can here the servo motors trying to move something under the dash.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts