TTORA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 04' taco with a 2.7 and a k&n intake, three inches of lift and 33/12.50's, I would like to upgrade my trxus for a more aggressive swamper and i found a good deal on some used but almost brand new sst's, but my concern is that i have ungeared axles and an auto tranny, gears wont be in my budget for a while, and from what i've read the sst's weigh almost 10 lbs more a piece than my current trxus, do you guys think it will be a worthwile tradeoff or do you think the tire will sap up too much of my power and just hurt my trucks ability rather than help it.

·
Premium Member
3,071 Posts
SSR's maybe?? What gear ratio?

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
You might want to think about more lift also. I am running the 32x11.5x15 SSR's with a 3" toytec lift and a 1" bl and still rub. I don't think you will see a huge change if the weight is only a 10 pound difference.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
I don't think you will see a huge change if the weight is only a 10 pound difference.
times 4= 40 extra pounds just in tires. then add the air inside of them, maybe a few pounds more:D

·
Registered
506 Posts
times 4= 40 extra pounds just in tires. then add the air inside of them, maybe a few pounds more:D
Then add in the fact that they're rotating so they'll hurt another 4 times due to inertia. Not to mention suspension dynamics and braking. Depends how it is now. You'll be able to feel it, just is it worth the tradeoff?

·
Registered
186 Posts
I think the general rule of thumb for un-sprung weight adding 1 lbs. un-sprung is like adding 4 lbs sprung. So that 40lbs is like 160lbs...

But if you're big in the mud running and the crawling who cares? Swampers aren't exactly the usual desert runner's choice...

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i do alot of crawling, but my truck is only geared for 28's, I can feel the trxus weight sapping up my power, i think i'm going to wait until i find a nice set of baja claws, they're lighter than the trxus, and when I had them before they kicked ass, thanks guys

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Get 35's and just use low range all the time.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts