TTORA Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering the purchase of a combination power inverter, battery booster, air compressor. Does anyone have any real-life experience with these things?

Duracell and Black & Decker have models that fit this description. Do any other brands have these available?

Do they have enough energy to pump up a flat tire if I use a plug kit on the roadside or on the trail? Can they bring 4 low-trail-pressured tires up to high-road-pressure without overheating? Do they have a high volume air setting for a raft or mattress?

If they're plugged in to the battery or cig-lighter, do they act as a normal inverter of the car battery, or do they just charge their own built-in battery and then invert that?

Can they really start a Tacoma that has a battery so low it won't start itself?

Please let me know your opinions on these things and whether or not you feel they're worth trying.

Duracell (click for web page)

Black & Decker (click for web page)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anyone? Anyone...

Bueller?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I carry a battery booster all the time in my truck. If it gets cold enough and I have to do a few glow plug cycles with the diesel I may rely on that booster pack.

Don't bother with one with a 12v plug in compressor. It will take days to fill a full size tire and u need to leave the truck running or u will kill the battery u just boosted!! Buy a good on board air setup or co2 for filling tires.

Yes it will start a taco. I charged my iPad and speakers while camping than had to boost to a friend with a full size Chevy and it wasn't even barely moved off of a full charge. U can do multiple boosts off of one packs charge.

Sent from my atari using Tapatalk

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the feedback. I've been also hearing from other sources that these all-in-one units, while seemingly useful and loaded with features, are not strong enough in their individual components. I was told to get the features separately, like you implied and suggested.

From what I gather from you and others, this compressor isn't sufficient to air up after being off the road unless I'm willing to wait for long fill-ups and cool-off times between tires.

I've also been told that these specific units aren't as strong as regular stand-alone battery boosters and won't start a mostly or completely dead battery. This could be a concern, because often I use the Taco's factory power inverter to charge power tool batteries and run other a/c power tools such as bushwhackers. This causes the battery to drain, and if I'm not careful to start the truck and recharge the battery soon enough, I'm stuck with a dead taco.

Any worthwhile suggestions for on-board air or battery boosters? Or links to relevant threads?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I went with a powertank for on board air. No electrical draw. Truck can be off and there is no faster way to fill a tire. Can re seat beads and run air tools.

Sent from my atari using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts