TTORA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am going to get some BFG M/Ts and the guy at Discount tire is quoting me a price that includes their pro-rated replacement warranty (about $100 more than without). Do you guys think that spending the extra $100 for a comprehensive tire warranty is worth it, or is it better spent elsewhere? BTW, here in AZ, we have lots of sharp rocks, but I must confess that I have never even punctured a POS stock tire.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Well do you think the MT's could make you push harder than the stockers. I know i cant get a warranty on my MT's around me. Get details about what exactly the warranty will cover. Then decide.

·
Master "Yota"
431 Posts
Save your money! The tires should have a limited warranty from BFG, and if you do do unrepairable damage to one (maybe you will maybe you won't) you could almost buy a new tire with the hundred bucks you saved. If you're not hard on tires you most likley will not damage them, so stick the $100 bucks in your pocket!

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
Some tire shops (NTB) offer no questions asked warranties which I think are worth considering. I wouldn't spend it on a prorated basis though.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
12 years ago I tore sidewalls on 4 tires in a month 4 wheeling, had warranty on them. 4 years ago I had large bolts go thru 4 tires at once on my wifes Firebird, had warranty. The Firebird tires were upgraded free of charge because the original model was no longer made. Each time I couldnt have afforded to buy a new set of tires at that time. Depending on how and where you drive it can be a good deal, I dont always buy tire warrantys, but it's cheap insurance for tires. Much like car insurance you may never need it, but if you do it can save you some money.
Read the fine print and disclaimers closely, knowing the regulations can some times help out with these decisions. On one of my tire warranties I had free flat repair, free rotation, free balancing, and free alignment labor, parts and part replacement labor were extra.

Only you know if a tire warranty is right for you. Even if you buy and dont use it's not wasted money, it's piece of mind.

Tim

·
Registered
135 Posts
keep shopping, a lot of places sell tire warranties that are NOT pro-rated, and they sell them for less that $100. I know at Just Tires we sell the 'road-hazzard protection plan' for $11 a tire and it is not pro-rated, so you could come in with 4 bald tires with irreparable damage and get 4 brand new tires installed for free, as long as you spent the extra $44 when you bought the tires to get the replacement plan. So it is definately worth it if you find a non pro-rated plan for a decent price. BTW- I dont know if you have any Just Tires around you, but they will match any price, so you might want to check them out.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I buy it everytime at least from discount it is worth it. I went through 8 BFG A/T all from rock crawling in 6 months ( I kept slashing the sidewalls reason for sidewall damage I was running a 15X12 rim) Everytime the proration was 20 bucks. Well worth it to me for a new especially when a new one will cost you 160 dollars everytime it is damaged. My tire size was a 35 12.5 r 15. It also helps to make friends with the manager or have friends who work there. If we are to compare companies discount to big o firestone or goodyear. Discount will always get my business hands down the customer service for the other places just does not compare.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Good question for a post. I don't know time will tell? Its a gamble. I bought it on my new tires because the last truck I had, had three punctures from nails. Discount tire wouldn't patch three holes in a tire because they said of liability. They got me a new tire on the warranty free of charge. If this happens with the new tires, I'm covered. In addition, back in 1990 I had brand new BF Goodrich all terrains 32x11.5's, and I got a bad puncture just going down a gravel foresty road. It was beyond repair, no warranty shop wouldn't do anything, it still sits in my fathers yard as a object for his dogs to piss on. :eek:
But then--I have been through the rubicon a dozen times with Dunlop 35's, and five years on a trail rig with no problems. :confused:

·
Premium Member
4,997 Posts
BigBro said:
So I am going to get some BFG M/Ts and the guy at Discount tire is quoting me a price that includes their pro-rated replacement warranty (about $100 more than without). Do you guys think that spending the extra $100 for a comprehensive tire warranty is worth it, or is it better spent elsewhere? BTW, here in AZ, we have lots of sharp rocks, but I must confess that I have never even punctured a POS stock tire.
I'm normally not a fan of any sort of extended warranties, but tire warranties have really saved me a lot of money over the years. I ran Big O tires for awhile, the sidewalls on those are pretty thin. I think I got 9 tires out of my last set of 4. I'm running MT/R's now, the sidewalls seem to be much tougher, still bought the warranty though.

Later,
....Mike

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Anyone know a good Bridgestone dealer that has a warranty such as Just Tires (stevet47)? What is the definition of Pro-Rated?

·
Deal Master
2,775 Posts
CYi5 said:
Anyone know a good Bridgestone dealer that has a warranty such as Just Tires (stevet47)? What is the definition of Pro-Rated?
The only two tire warranties that I would consider paying extra $$ for are the
Discount Tire Co.'s Tire Replacement certificate (this is different from their included prorated road hazard warr) or 4wpw No Questions asked tire warranty-
I've never purchased tires from 4wpw, however- I have used Discount Tires replacement certificates in the past-

On my current set of tires BFG AT's (purchased back in the summer of 01) - I did buy the replacment certs- And have not used them- Part of the reason- I have a set of dedicated wheeling tires-

- The Prorated road hazard warranties are usually built into the tire purchase-
That means if you have 50% tread thickness when your tire needs to be replaced- you will have to pay 50% of the cost of the replacement tire.
If your tire has only 25% of the tread thickness and is non repairable- you will have to fork up $75% of the cost of the tire.

·
Registered
135 Posts
CYi5 said:
Just Tires can get you the Bridgestones you want, they sell just about every brand out there, it'll just take a day or 2 because they have to get them from a local distributor (most times they can get them same day, but not allways). Any tire place that is not Firestone or Goodyear or a specific brand like that should be able to get you most brands.
About the Pro-rated, I cant give you an exact definition, but it usually works like this:

Pro-rated warranty = You come in with a tire that has 5/32" left on the tread, new it has 15/32", it has irrepairable damage, the tire cost $160 new, they firgure you got 2/3 the life of the tire out of it, so they only charge you 2/3 the price of the tire to repalce it, instead of the full price (actually they charge much less than that, but this gives you the concept behind it)

Non-Pro-rated warranty = Same situation, but they give you the tire totally free of charge no matter what the tire wear.

·
Deal Master
2,775 Posts
Mike said:
I'm normally not a fan of any sort of extended warranties, but tire warranties have really saved me a lot of money over the years. I ran Big O tires for awhile, the sidewalls on those are pretty thin. I think I got 9 tires out of my last set of 4. I'm running MT/R's now, the sidewalls seem to be much tougher, still bought the warranty though.

Later,
....Mike
Same here - I normally skip warranties as well-
Reminds me of the time I bought A set of Firestone ATX II's for my old rodeo-
I got replacements for each of the tires- so I got over 60K miles out of them - Then , I got free tires thanks to the Firestone recall-
That was money well spent- Basically got 12 tires out of $360 bucks lol.

·
Administrator
95.5 Tacoma
18,483 Posts
BigBro said:
My tires come with a pro-rated warranty from the dealer, so I didn't really pay extra for that. What I did fork out $80 for was the full tire replacement warranty. I have a feeling my tires will accidentially hit a sharp rock on the sidewall before they wear out. :rolleyes:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts