TTORA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am extremely close to buying a 05 Double Cab, TRD Sport 4x4-
But have heard some bad things about the new model.
If you had the chance, would you buy an 05 all over again, or wait til the 06 comes out?
If you are just unhappy about an occassional rattle or squeak, I can deal with that.
Thanks for any input you have.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I am very happy with mine. IMO if I were you I would go with the off-road package to get the locker. But that's just me. Yes, there have been reports of some problems, and I'm sure before all is said and done I will run into a couple. But like anything, you usually hear about the negative stuff the most. Hearing about the good stuff is too boring I guess (and people don't want to seem arrogant or anything).
My wife had a wreck so we needed vehicle now, thus the 05. I guess if you were not in a hurry I would wait for the 06, but like I said, I am very happy with my 05. Good Luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am in need asap as my 03 Galant with 17,000 miles is taking a crap.
I am not sure if the locker is necessary for me.
I would not be doing any major offroading, no deep mud etc. Maybe some logging roads, snowy roads.
I have my Jeep for offroading.

·
Registered
185 Posts
My 05 has the cab mount rattle (although only when it's below zero) but other than that I absolutely love it. I bought it for a daily driver, and I put about 100 miles a day on it. I got a 4 cyl sr5 access cab 4x4. It really does get 23mpg highway as long as I stay under 75 on the highway. This truck is super comfortable, smooth, quiet, and reasonably quick even with the four cylinder. As a daily driver it's an awesome truck, way more comfy than the 3 previous older tacomas I had. I probably won't wheel it much , that's why I have my fj40.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Besides my paint chipping... I'm pretty happy with mine. I don't have an older taco to directly compare, but the 05 is really really comfortable. I got the double cab so that I can haul people around on trips for snowboarding, camping, etc. I was hesitant about taking it through some mud at first, but I guess I got over it..

·
Registered
72 Posts
I love my 05 my buddy and I go out wheeling couple of times a month He has a 04 same packages on my rig minus the 05 updates (motor, size) I can go anywhere he can go and some places I can get up things easier thanks to the new powerplant. I would say pound for pound they are just as awesome as the old taco's. They have just be updated to fit large tree's like me in them with comfort.
Buy one I promise u will not be disapointed at all

-Chris

·
Registered
63 Posts
My 05' Taco is awesome, no problems what so ever and it rides and looks killer. If for some reason you have a problem I'm sure Toyota will stand behind their product. I looked around for months before buying and after all my research was done the 05' taco beat them all out. This truck lives up to its claims and I'm sure you won't be disappointed :D

·
Registered
30 Posts
Like the other guy said, except for the paint chipping I love it. It's got a couple first year design glitchs like the non-removeable cup holders, the open front wheelwells that let everything but money get in the engine compartment. (I fixed mine with some sheet rubber) A lot more room than my 02 and giant compared to my 86. Look at the specs and you'll see the interior is almost the same size as the Tundra. Who knows if they'll do anything to improve the paint next year. I don't think the paint problem is just this year from what I've been reading.

Terry
05 Access Cab 4x4
Paint pics here--- http://mysite.verizon.net/res0qmii/2005tacoma/

·
Registered
115 Posts
Rob said:
Get it with the hood scoop. Functional or not they look better with them, just like the 4Runners.
I don't care for scoop on the new Taco. I want to get a new one, but I am going to wait until at least 06 to see if they work the bugs out. I also think they are adding sattelite radio next year.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Im very happy...

Im very happy with my 05. There was the exception on the water leak and the paint beibg low quality, but overall its a bad ass truck.
I had a 02 xtra cab and it rocked, but the 05 has more power, better handling, tons of room on the four door, and it will do 110 very comfortably.
I would recommend it to you, and if for some reason you have a problem, take it in and raise hell!

Good luck!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts