TTORA Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.kokh25.com/uploads/local/oklahoma_ok/40d1b20f.shtml

Shock waves from the deadly earthquake that killed thousands in Indonesia were felt in Oklahoma.

The Oklahoma Geological Survey says shock waves were recorded in Tulsa County starting at 7:13 Saturday night.

The 9-point-oh magnitude quake in Indonesia hit 15 minutes earlier.

Jim Lawson with the Geological Survey says the shock waves may have caused water in ponds and lakes to slosh slowly. He also says some tall buildings in the state may have swayed slightly.

The number of dead in the quake is now approaching 40-thousand. The 9.0 magnitude quake is the strongest since a 9-point-2 quake on March 28th, 1964, in Prince William Sound in Alaska.

It's the fourth strongest since recordings of magnitude began in 1899, tying a 1952 quake in Russia

·
Registered
199 Posts
yeah thats crazy.

from what i remember from geology class, that an earthquake causes p and s waves, and that the p waves travel through the earth (except for the dense inner core) and can be felt on the opposite side of the globe. so a direct shock can be sent from indonesia to oklahoma. crazy stuff.

also check this from cnn http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/science/12/27/quake.seismic.ap/index.html

"It causes the planet to wobble a little bit"

kinda gives you an idea of how strong this effects the planet.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Anyone ever ponder the correlation between magnitude 9.0 EQs and their occurence around religous holidays? (the Prince William EQ occurred on Good Friday)

·
Registered
199 Posts
mudferret said:
"I am not unemployed, im just on an undetermined ammount of vacation days."

I think I last worked on September 16th.
bah shut it.

·
Registered
199 Posts
elgecko said:
Anyone ever ponder the correlation between magnitude 9.0 EQs and their occurence around religous holidays? (the Prince William EQ occurred on Good Friday)
GODS WRATH IS UPON US!!! RUN!!!! whatver, im religious, but i dont see it at the "end of days" if thats what you mean. unless this thing has a for sure chance of hitting us http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/space/12/24/asteroid.ap/index.html then ill be worried

·
Registered
340 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
ElBandito said:
sdi?

anyways being 1,300 ft long, i dont think anything will stop it
SDI = Strategic Defense Initiative (AKA the program to develop missles that'll shoot other missles, or asteroids, out of the sky before they reach land...AKA Star Wars defense)

·
Registered
176 Posts
elgecko said:
No... and let's not waste bandwidth on such fare...

·
Registered
199 Posts
elgecko said:
SDI = Strategic Defense Initiative (AKA the program to develop missles that'll shoot other missles, or asteroids, out of the sky before they reach land...AKA Star Wars defense)
oh the one that failed recently? ggrrreeaaattt ahhaah

·
Registered
247 Posts
Oklahoma is just trying to be an attention Whore. And this is coming from someone born and raised there. If you want to throw debate heres a question for you. Why did hawaii and Guam and other south pacific Islands not get affected by the Tsnami (sp) waves. The waves were capable of reaching the southern tip of Africa?

·
Registered
460 Posts
i just wanna know how u guys can be outa work and make truck payments, i go to school and work my butt off when not in school and barely make my payments.... must be nice to get "paid" vacation

·
Registered
72 Posts
tbplus10 said:
I last worked May 23rd, new year comming up, maybe we can all end our "vacations"

Tim
That's nothing, the last time I had a "Job" was Jan.27th.

I was hoping something positive would come from that massive earthquake, like the possibility of a little swell in our direction (Hawaii).

·
Registered
340 Posts
obex26 said:
Oklahoma is just trying to be an attention Whore. And this is coming from someone born and raised there. If you want to throw debate heres a question for you. Why did hawaii and Guam and other south pacific Islands not get affected by the Tsnami (sp) waves. The waves were capable of reaching the southern tip of Africa?
Ummm, The path of p-waves are well documented. Mind you, these are energy waves, not waves in the ocean. In reality, the 9.0M earthquake was likely detected by seismographs around the world.

http://www.gcsescience.com/pwav54.htm

As for Hawaii and Guam, the mega-slip nature of the movement would cause directional waves in the ocean (to the west in this case). Additionally, look at a map. Minor omnidirectional effects of the tsunami were blocked by Indonesia and Malaysia.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
About this Discussion
15 Replies
9 Participants
elgecko
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing