TTORA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Just got done with my 25k mile drain/refill of the ATF. I believe I may have added a little too much, as now, after some regular hwy/city driving, it reads at or just above the highest "HOT" notch in the dipstick. To add to the confusion, some folks say it should be up around there after normal driving, but others say it should only read that after high speed driving or towing.
My truck does have the factory ATF cooler.

My main concern is making frothy ATF, but is it close enough to let it slide?? I'm avoiding the messy fix of draining and refilling again. I wonder if I could crack the drain bolt just enough to drain the extra. Any ideas? (PS, yeah-yeah, I would have bought a 5-spd if they offered it on the doublecabs) :rolleyes:

Thanks,

Beave

·
Registered
871 Posts
Atf

If it is just above, you will be fine. The dipstick is not an exact science and toyota will build a small amount of tolerance into the fluid level. I'd give it at least a quarter inch before I would even worry.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Beave said:
Hey guys,

Just got done with my 25k mile drain/refill of the ATF. I believe I may have added a little too much, as now, after some regular hwy/city driving, it reads at or just above the highest "HOT" notch in the dipstick. To add to the confusion, some folks say it should be up around there after normal driving, but others say it should only read that after high speed driving or towing.

My main concern is making frothy ATF, but is it close enough to let it slide?? I'm avoiding the messy fix of draining and refilling again. I wonder if I could crack the drain bolt just enough to drain the extra. Any ideas? (PS, yeah-yeah, I would have bought a 5-spd if they offered it on the doublecabs) :rolleyes:

Thanks,

Beave
How far above the hot line are we talking about? 1/4 inch may be fine. 1/2 inch, I say drain some out. Just my :2cents:

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
I agree with the others. If you decide it's too full just remove one of the cooler lines for a few seconds and let a little out.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies guys. The most amount over the highest dipstick notch is maybe an eighth inch tops. I've been checking it regularly since the event and so far, no bubbles or funky smells. After thinking about it some more, this is no different than driving down a steep incline for a sustained amount of time (lord knows I do that quite often) ;) where all the fluid would be gathered in the front end of the pan. But thank you all for the reassurance anyhow.

Now resuming lead-foot and care-free Toyota owner attitude,

Beave

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
BTW, Bray, that is a bad-ass bumper! Got a weblink or anything for that?

Beave

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Beave said:
Hey guys,

Thanks,

Beave
Dont sweat the ATF overfill. I over filled mine a couple years ago partly because my dipstick tube got bent out of shape and I thought the fluid level was lower than it really was. It ended up just pushing out the extra fluid through the breather and that was the end of that. No more worrying.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Beave said:
BTW, Bray, that is a bad-ass bumper! Got a weblink or anything for that?

Beave
Thanks man, It's a work of art from Steve at CBI. Give him a call and talk to him. He is one of the nicest guys you will ever talk to. If it does not fit, he will build you a new bumper. If it doesn't look good to you, he will build you another bumper. You must talk to him because he has the most awsdome service available anywhere.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
5 Participants
bray
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing