TTORA Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been a longtime Tacoma 2.7 liter engine owner but have seen that the newer V-6's have the "Atkinson/Otto" cycle engine . It seems that this engine switches to the Atkinson and Otto variably by computer . Are any of you owners having problems with it ? I am not sure why Toyota would go to this . I would want to keep things simple. Seems like the Atkinson cycle would cause problems or be inefficient by keeping the valves open longer . Any information is appreciated .

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
I'm no help but like to learn.

What is Atkinson and Otto cycle?

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
I don't really notice anything other than the lack of low end torque then a sudden rush of power around 3500-4000 RPMs, the engine also switches to a cleaning cycle at idle to prevent carbon build up.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Almost everyone I know who has driven or owned the new Atkinson-cycle powered Tacomas seems to dislike the demeanor of the motor's power delivery. I was even talking to a guy the other day who is the head service technician at my local Toyota dealership and we got to talking about Tacomas, so I asked him what he though of the new one. He told me he had one for a year and got rid of it and is instead just driving an old Camry now. I could tell from his demeanor that there was more to it than that, so I asked him specifically why he got rid of it and if he liked it plus how he felt about the new motor. Without bashing on it too much, he just said it wasn't for him and that he preferred the older V6 motors. I was both surprised to hear him say that, but also not surprised given that others I know have felt similarly about it.

That being said.. I personally have not driven one but would be curious to test drive the new V6 Tacoma with a manually transmission to see how I like it. I have both a 2.7 and now (as of last week) a 3.4 Tacoma in my lineup, so I have a great base to compare it against. I really like the 3.4 motor and tranny in the old Tacos though.... that thing is such a joy to drive for me.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Almost everyone I know who has driven or owned the new Atkinson-cycle powered Tacomas seems to dislike the demeanor of the motor's power delivery. I was even talking to a guy the other day who is the head service technician at my local Toyota dealership and we got to talking about Tacomas, so I asked him what he though of the new one. He told me he had one for a year and got rid of it and is instead just driving an old Camry now. I could tell from his demeanor that there was more to it than that, so I asked him specifically why he got rid of it and if he liked it plus how he felt about the new motor. Without bashing on it too much, he just said it wasn't for him and that he preferred the older V6 motors. I was both surprised to hear him say that, but also not surprised given that others I know have felt similarly about it.

That being said.. I personally have not driven one but would be curious to test drive the new V6 Tacoma with a manually transmission to see how I like it. I have both a 2.7 and now (as of last week) a 3.4 Tacoma in my lineup, so I have a great base to compare it against. I really like the 3.4 motor and tranny in the old Tacos though.... that thing is such a joy to drive for me.
I have driven an 04 5 speed for the last 250k miles. I was in a similar situation recently looking at either the 2nd or 3rd gen Tacoma's. I really like the 4.0 and the one in my wife's 4Runner has been great. I had only test driven a 6 speed manual once up to this point. I ended up buying a 2013 6 speed. I've gotta say it's the worst manual transmission I've driven. Not only is the feel terrible, like driving a big rig, it's already got major issues at 90k miles. It whines in 4th and 6th gears and the 5 gear synchro is going out. Total garbage transmission and it's not Toyota quality. The 3rd gen transmission may have some improvements, but then you are dealing with the 3.5. I really love manual transmissions but sadly this will be my last because Toyota has sabotaged themselves by just not putting any effort into making a decent one. I know none of this helps you much but I'd avoid MT.

-Dan

1 - 5 of 5 Posts