TTORA Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wanting to know if anybody is running the Atlas 4 speed in a Tacoma and what they think about it. Pros and cons. Or should I just get the Marlin setup?

Thanks
-Trent

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
I am wanting to know if anybody is running the Atlas 4 speed in a Tacoma and what they think about it. Pros and cons. Or should I just get the Marlin setup?

Thanks
-Trent
i want to know the same thing. i really don't want to do dual cases, but like all the ranges avaliable on the atlas.

·
Registered
829 Posts
I have a two speed atlas but it hasn't seen the road or trail yet.

·
Premium Member
362 Posts
Have you read this thread?
ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2600&highlight=atlas+transfer+case
This deals with a 2 spd case but the 4spd should be similar just more gear choices. I think I would rather do the atlas instead of a marlin or inchworm crawlbox. I dont know if or when I will do it cause right now it is just a wet dream.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I spent all day on the phone with different people. There are so many options.

As far as the 4 speed Atlas it looks like I am getting into Major mods and also a really steep front driveshaft angle.

I called Inchworm and they now have the Lefty t-case which is a fully clockable gear driven t-case that is a direct bolt in for the Taco. For about the same price as the Atlas I can get the lefty with dual case setup, twin sticked, cryo input shaft, elec speedo, and all adaptors. The size also makes it a lot easier to install and clock.

OR then I can go with the MArlin Taco supreme using my stock t-case for almost half the price. With a pretty simple install. Decisions decisions.

I guess I now need to figure out the best bang for the buck.

-Trent

·
Premium Member
12,934 Posts
I didn't know they have the four speed out yet. The three speed in response to the StaK but I thought the 4 speed was still "in development".

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Premium Member
12,934 Posts
Ya know something, I think they are doing basically what I posed as an idea years ago. At the time, I was laughed at of course. That was to strip the planetary gear set and frictions out of an old auto tranny and use it as the core reduction gears for a multi speed T case but with a manual shift control arrangement.
Ya know that brings up another idea. How about salvaging the hydralic pump out of one and use that in place of a typical PS pump. You'd have a direct shaft driven pump as opposed to a belt drive freeing up the space for a belt driven air compressor. Hummmmmmm. Probably have enough juice for both front and rear steer. Yep and maybe even enough for a winch to boot. I need to look into that. Once I swap out the FJ tranny, I'll have a spare TH350 to play with.

·
Premium Member
2,240 Posts
Nice build but he ended up going with Inchworm

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
I have the Inchworm set up and it is nice, but I wish I would have waited for the atlas 4 speed. It is worth the money in my opinion. I want to be able to do front and rear digs.

Tim

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I made millions of phone calls before I made my decision. The atlas was my first choice. But after much consideration I decided against it. I knew that whatever case I ended up with was going to be clocked. With the Atlas you have to start clearancing the floor just to put it in the stock position which I really didn't mind. The real problem was going to be driveshaft angle. I already have a high angle on my front shaft. So clocking a single case would really add to that. Also front and rear digs are really cool but honestly not many built axles in my budget can handle a front dig with a rig pushing 5,000 lbs. I even tried researching a STAK case but didn't get anywhere there. I know many people are biased against the Taco chain drive but when it comesdown to it, it really is a decent case. Of course there have been a few blow apart but for the most part they are all still kicking. I chose the Inchworm over the Marlin because of the amount of clocking options, and with the added length it will help with my front driveshaft angle also.

-Trent

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Great choice!! I have the Inchworm with 4.7s and I love it. I, like you, weighed the options and chose the Inchworm. I just want to be able to do digs, but that is out of the question.

Tim

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
im assuming you guys are talking about the new "lefty" case for a tacoma? or is this something else? i didn't think there were that many people with the new lefty t-case.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
No just the Inchworm crawl box. I looked into the lefty but for right now I am going to stick with the stock case.

·
Registered
5,490 Posts
I Love my Lefty - but I really don't know shit about Atlas cases except that they are killer expensive.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts