TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 144 Posts

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

I was over at All-Pro a few months ago and the owner Jon and I were talking about Tacomas and in the conversation, he had mentioned that Advanced Adapters was making an adapter kit for Tacos. I thought it was pretty sweet at the time, but I wasn't considering it really, until I went out to the Hammers and was watching some of these rigs doing front burns and rear burns while in the rocks enabling them to turn better. Has anyone out there heard of anyone using these? Besides Robert Cannon I haven't heard of any Taco owner putting one in their rig. I should just contact AA, but I have enough projects on my plate with this rig. Just Curious.

https://eshop.advanceadapters.com/commerce/catalog/product.jsp?product_id=1482&czuid=1105573374703

EDIT: Just called AA. They haven't had much demand for these and the adapter is only for 5 speed applications. He did mention that they are developing a lot more Tacoma stuff in the next 5-6 months, although he wouldn't really elaborate on what. Mabye and engine swap for the I-Force V-8? :D

·
Registered
237 Posts
Funny timing :)

We picked up an Atlas today straight from Advanced Adapters in Paso Robles. We just snapped a few pics and will post them and much more info about mounting it in our Tacoma here shortly..

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sean-

I "had" always believed them to be overpriced pieces of bling bling. After seeing them in action at comps in Cogar Buttes and at the Hammers, I want one!!

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
We actually just got back from Advance Adapters a few minutes ago. We drove down to Paso Robles and picked-up a new 5:1 Atlas for our Long-Travel Tacoma. Advance Adapters has been making the Tacoma adapters for a while now, but they haven't really promoted them (Atlas T-cases kinda sell themselves). We're going to install this case and work with AA to figure out the best shifter configuration for this setup. They're planning to release a complete Tacoma-specific Atlas kit after we're finished. Expect us to publish an article detailing the installation with a product review within the next few months.

·
Premium Member
4,997 Posts
Timbuddha said:
EDIT: Just called AA. They haven't had much demand for these and the adapter is only for 5 speed applications. He did mention that they are developing a lot more Tacoma stuff in the next 5-6 months, although he wouldn't really elaborate on what. Mabye and engine swap for the I-Force V-8? :D
For people who want to do axle swaps with a passenger side diff, Marlin makes a neat transfer case that lets you shift into front only, 4wd, and rear only. I got to play with it last time I was down there, pretty slick!

Later,
....Mike

·
Registered
988 Posts
SEAN_at_TLT said:
Funny timing :)

We picked up an Atlas today straight from Advanced Adapters in Paso Robles. We just snapped a few pics and will post them and much more info about mounting it in our Tacoma here shortly..
Is this going to require any driveshaft modifications or is it bolt in?

·
Registered
988 Posts
JESSE_at_TLT said:
Yeah, it's going to require driveshaft modifications. We ordered ours with the bullet-proof 32-spline output shafts w/flange yokes front and rear, so we're probably going to use larger 1350 Spicer CV's.
Thanks, can't wait to see what the package sells for and your review of the case!

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
Mike said:
For people who want to do axle swaps with a passenger side diff, Marlin makes a neat transfer case that lets you shift into front only, 4wd, and rear only. I got to play with it last time I was down there, pretty slick!

Later,
....Mike

Does he list it on his site? I could use one of these scout axles I have laying around

·
always a Toyota lover at heart
1,114 Posts
will these AA be available for the auto-tranny equipped tacoma?

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just called AA. They haven't had much demand for these and the adapter is only for 5 speed applications. He did mention that they are developing a lot more Tacoma stuff in the next 5-6 months, although he wouldn't really elaborate on what. Mabye and engine swap for the I-Force V-8?

·
Registered
10 Posts
JESSE_at_TLT said:
...detailing the installation with a product review within the next few months.
How's the install going? Any issues with sheet metal clearance under the floor of the cab and getting the Atlas clocked up out of the rocks?

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
98 Taco-
I think Timbudda was given some bad information. I talked to Mike at AA and confirmed that this adapter will work for ALL Tacoma applications (4cyl, V6, 5spd & auto). I think that AA sales staff was just a little bit unsure about the details of this application because they haven't sold too many Atlas cases to Tacoma owners yet. Sorry for any confusion.

dragr1-
I just got off the phone with Jess at High Angle Driveline. He's going to make us a set of custom 32-spline output yokes that will bolt right up to stock Toyota driveshafts, and they will be available from AA as part of the Toyota/Tacoma specific Atlas kit in 26-spline (standard front output) and 32-spline (standard rear output and HD front output upgrade) sizes. The driveshafts will still need to be modified for length, but that's it.

RLCanon-
We haven't installed the transfer-case in our Tacoma yet, but I'm pretty sure we're going to end up using cable-operated shifters for this application. The AA cable-operated setup is pretty slick. It was developed for competition rock-buggies with rear-mounted engines and will allow us to position the shifters where they will be within easy reach of the driver, without being in the way. The standard Atlas shifters are on the side of the transfer-case (like a Dana 300 in older Jeeps) instead of on top of it like the stock shifter. If you're using a driver's-side front diff like we are, that would place the shifters too close to the driver's knee and lower leg. If you're using a passenger's-side front diff, you could probably get away with the standard shifters, but it might be a stretch.

Clocking the Atlas will definately improve ground clearance, but I'm guessing there will be some sheetmetal work invovled. We'll report back as soon as we receive these new yokes and get the case installed.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Well, we got the Atlas installed yesterday and the adapter fits perfectly. The floorpan only required a little massaging ("it's a Sledgehammer") to create enough clearance for the Atlas indexed to about the same position as the stock transfer-case. A 1" body lift would probably have eliminated any interference between the stock floorpan and the Atlas. Ground clearance is very similar to the stock transfer-case. The adapter does not allow the Atlas to be clocked any higher if you're installing a driver's-side output transfer-case, but a passenger's-side output Atlas could be clocked to be almost completely flat. Of course, that would require some sheetmetal work or a body lift (yuck). I'm going to ask about updating the adapter to allow us to index driver's-side Atlas' for better ground clearance.

It doesn't look like we're going to need to modify the rear driveshaft at all, because the two transfer-cases measure within 1/16-1/32" of each other in overall length (from the transmission-mounting-surface to the rear driveshaft flange-mounting-surface. The front driveshaft will still have to be modified for length. Advance Adapters is working on designing some Toyota-specific driveshaft flanges for us this week.

We're definately using cable-operated shifters for this application, since the standard shifters would have been positioned further forward than the transmission shifter, on the driver's side of the transmission tunnel.

We're dead in the water right now, waiting for parts, but we'll post some pictures when we get a little further along and look for a full article to be published sometime soon.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
JESSE_at_TLT said:
Well, we got the Atlas installed yesterday and the adapter fits perfectly. The floorpan only required a little massaging ("it's a Sledgehammer") to create enough clearance for the Atlas indexed to about the same position as the stock transfer-case. A 1" body lift would probably have eliminated any interference between the stock floorpan and the Atlas. Ground clearance is very similar to the stock transfer-case. The adapter does not allow the Atlas to be clocked any higher if you're installing a driver's-side output transfer-case, but a passenger's-side output Atlas could be clocked to be almost completely flat. Of course, that would require some sheetmetal work or a body lift (yuck). I'm going to ask about updating the adapter to allow us to index driver's-side Atlas' for better ground clearance.

It doesn't look like we're going to need to modify the rear driveshaft at all, because the two transfer-cases measure within 1/16-1/32" of each other in overall length (from the transmission-mounting-surface to the rear driveshaft flange-mounting-surface. The front driveshaft will still have to be modified for length. Advance Adapters is working on designing some Toyota-specific driveshaft flanges for us this week.

We're definately using cable-operated shifters for this application, since the standard shifters would have been positioned further forward than the transmission shifter, on the driver's side of the transmission tunnel.

We're dead in the water right now, waiting for parts, but we'll post some pictures when we get a little further along and look for a full article to be published sometime soon.
Great!!

Thanks for the update. Which version of the Atlas are you running and which gears?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
thats badass, don't forget to add some cutting brakes to the rear. :D :cool: Although ifs parts and front burns may = :explode:

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Don't worry, we're just waiting to install cutting brakes until the new rear axle is built.
Stock IFS and front burns sure would be a BAD idea, especially because we were blowing up CVs with 33" tires, stock gears (3.58:1) and an open front differential...
and now we're running 35's with 5.29's and we're going to install another ARB up front. We're working on some custom CV's that should hold together, but I'm worried about that little high-pinion 7.5" front diff. When we break anything, we replace it with something stronger. So at least all the carnage will lead to better parts.

1 - 20 of 144 Posts