TTORA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I'm not new to Toyotas but I am new to FJs; can someone explain how to get ATRAC on a base model FJ? All I've been able to find is that if you get the locker, you can buy a switch and have the ATRAC, too? Can someone explain further? I'll go buy one tomorrow if that's true! (Well, I'll buy one on April 3rd - I can explain later) Thanks.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Yeah it is kinda neat how toyota in their lean manufacturing ways, to cut costs decided to wire up all the FJ's with the e-locker with the Atrac. If you don't buy the upgrade package (I didn't) all you have to do is pop out the appropriate plate on the panel, hook the little A-trac wiring plug into the $40 switch, pop in the switch, and Voila! A-trac! It takes literally 2 min and is the best mod I have ever done to the FJ...(and I have a lift, tires, bumper, winch, etc. etc.)

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, it helps tremendously... you just saved me several thousand dollars! (And, you're the first person I've seen on the internet spell "Voila" right!)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmmm, that brings up another question for me then, and that is I thought the newer ones were already coming wired up that way?

Warranty? We don't need no stinkin' warranty... Well, maybe we do :)

·
Registered
42 Posts
There are reports that the newer FJ's do have the ATRAC + rear locker mod already enabled. Once you get the switch, you can try it yourself and verify it. If not, the mod to get both activated is very easy and a valuable mod IMHO, one that I have used several times.

·
Registered
4,141 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
The new FJ's can use both the A-Trac and locker at the same time. I work at a Toyota dealership and have tested this out. I also was wondering about the A-Trac thing cuz I figured it had to be electronic and we have an FJ at work that's manual with just the side airbags and convenience package, no A-Trac. I've been drooling over it for months. Yes months, it is now the oldest FJ on our lot cuz everyone wants the ones that go for $30k+, not the cheapy at $26,600. The other old one we have is in the $27k range, nobody buys the cheapies anymore. I just wish $10g appeared in my hand out of nowhere, then I would have that FJ!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just got an FJ and opted only for the locking diff and not the upgrade packages. I am intrigued by this news. How would i go about ordering these parts? Should i just get them from a dealer? I get the button but do i get the switch from the dealer also? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
42 Posts
agambln said:
I just got an FJ and opted only for the locking diff and not the upgrade packages. I am intrigued by this news. How would i go about ordering these parts? Should i just get them from a dealer? I get the button but do i get the switch from the dealer also? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
All you need is the "ATRAC" button, assuming you have the rear locker. You can get it from the dealer or any of the online resources that sell Toyota parts. I got mine for $43 + shipping, much better the the almost $3k upgrade for things that I really didn't care about (subwoofer and "eyeball" display).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
8 Participants
Mtbcoach
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing