TTORA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, new to the forum.

I was out in the Florence Junction area last weekend leading some new comers to the sport around the easy areas and passed by 3 built Tacomas on the dirt road leading from the Coke Ovens and Martinez Canyon. They were all headed north, I was headed south.

The first was a white double cab (I think) with Diamond full width axles and what looked like at least 37" tires. The guy stopped and joked with me for a second about my being able to make it down the dirt road the rest of the way.

The next one was a silver extended cab (again, I think) that had a SAS and similar sized tires to the first.

Last was a dark red with a flatbed.

This is gonna sound kinda stupid, but I spent almost 3 years building a Toyota based buggy from scratch and unfortunately, in that time, all of my old wheeling friends have either gotten out of the sport or have turned into what I can only describe as "thrasher bashers".....meaning they are treating their chassis like they are disposeable and they just buy another one every 3 to 5 years.

I'm not a wealthy guy and I damn sure am not fast enough at fabrication to take almost 3 years to build something and then destroy it in another 3 only to start over.

I noticed the Tacoma guys I passed all looked like they used their rigs, but they hadn't beat them to death. Unfortunately, I find myself in a no-man's land of vehicles that aren't built well enough to run harder trails, or like my old friends that go on such extreme trails that I'm going to end up destroying the chassis in short order.

What I'm hoping by coming here is that you guys can point me in the direction of fellow Toyota enthusiasts that wheel hard trails, but are at least somewhat careful about how they wheel.

This thought just occurred to me today, so perhaps I haven't thought it through well enough....hopefully it makes sense.

In any case, here's a pic of my buggy so perhaps one of the 3 will see it and remember passing me.

Obviously, there's a little bit of Toyota blasphemy going on with the Liberty hood, but I just liked the look of the narrowed up hood and grill and there wasn't that much custom fiberglass available when I started the project. Hope you guys won't hold it against me. ;)

Sean

·
Registered
947 Posts
Holy crap dude. Nice ride... Now go back to your introduction post on the main site and click edit, then insert some pictures of the buggy!! Also, this is now ToyotaTORA. Not just Tacoma's anymore. I am sure those L.C.'s were part of the club as well.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
TimF said:
Are you running a S/C 3.4? I think I saw your buggy on extreme 4x4.

That sounds like some of the AZ guys. Here is the AZ board

http://ttora.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=166

I wish but no. I'm running a tiny 22re. My Dad bought a 91 Toyota 4x4 new back in 91. I bought it off him in about 96 with 17K miles on it. The engine now has about 53K miles on it.....almost exclusively off road. I cracked it open when I started the buggy project and it has absolutely NO WEAR, so I couldn't justify getting rid of something so incredibly reliable and it only burns between 2 and 3 gallons on an all day trail ride.

I built the chassis to be large enough to fit an LS1 at a later date if I choose, but honestly, I like it like it is so far. It's low on top speed, but I built it for the rocks and trails and not much else. ;)

Sean

·
Registered
207 Posts
sounds to me like capnkirk in the white dub cab.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
jhunter said:
are you running the stock transmission and T-Case?
Yep stock W-56C with a cryo'd input into the first stock 2.28:1 reduction box, then an OTT adapter with a 32 spline input into an Atlas II 5.0:1 rear case with twinstick. I'm geared 5.86 in the f/r 35 spline D60s....so I'm 265:1 in low-low 1st gear.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Sean K. said:
Yep stock W-56C with a cryo'd input into the first stock 2.28:1 reduction box, then an OTT adapter with a 32 spline input into an Atlas II 5.0:1 rear case with twinstick. I'm geared 5.86 in the f/r 35 spline D60s....so I'm 265:1 in low-low 1st gear.
Very nice. The important parts are Toyota, so the whole hood thing is cool. ;) That is one cool looking buggy. Speaking of that, there is a "buggy" section on the main forum that might interest you. Its under Rock Crawling Tech.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
aztaco1 said:
sounds to me like capnkirk in the white dub cab.
Ya, found a post of his.....looks like the right truck. Absolutely one of the baddest Tacomas I've ever seen.

Here's a pic of my old 91 Toy:

Not too nice looking, huh? 227:1 gearing, full width D44s, 38s on beadlocks, ARB and Detroit, 9K Warn, etc.

It actually didn't look that bad until I got hit in a parking lot and rolled it over. Then off came the doors, in went the cage and the flatbed....and the primer paint. :)

Sean

1 - 10 of 10 Posts