TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, new to the forum.

I was out in the Florence Junction area last weekend leading some new comers to the sport around the easy areas and passed by 3 built Tacomas on the dirt road leading from the Coke Ovens and Martinez Canyon. They were all headed north, I was headed south.

The first was a white double cab (I think) with Diamond full width axles and what looked like at least 37" tires. The guy stopped and joked with me for a second about my being able to make it down the dirt road the rest of the way.

The next one was a silver extended cab (again, I think) that had a SAS and similar sized tires to the first.

Last was a dark red with a flatbed.

This is gonna sound kinda stupid, but I spent almost 3 years building a Toyota based buggy from scratch and unfortunately, in that time, all of my old wheeling friends have either gotten out of the sport or have turned into what I can only describe as "thrasher bashers".....meaning they are treating their chassis like they are disposeable and they just buy another one every 3 to 5 years.

I'm not a wealthy guy and I damn sure am not fast enough at fabrication to take almost 3 years to build something and then destroy it in another 3 only to start over.

I noticed the Tacoma guys I passed all looked like they used their rigs, but they hadn't beat them to death. Unfortunately, I find myself in a no-man's land of vehicles that aren't built well enough to run harder trails, or like my old friends that go on such extreme trails that I'm going to end up destroying the chassis in short order.

What I'm hoping by coming here is that you guys can point me in the direction of fellow Toyota enthusiasts that wheel hard trails, but are at least somewhat careful about how they wheel.

This thought just occurred to me today, so perhaps I haven't thought it through well enough....hopefully it makes sense.

In any case, here's a pic of my buggy so perhaps one of the 3 will see it and remember passing me.

Obviously, there's a little bit of Toyota blasphemy going on with the Liberty hood, but I just liked the look of the narrowed up hood and grill and there wasn't that much custom fiberglass available when I started the project. Hope you guys won't hold it against me. ;)

Sean

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks very much for the info. Is there a trail run section (I admittedly haven't looked around the site yet....the tacomaterritory main site directed me here to ask this question).

Sean

·
Good For You
3,442 Posts
Sean K. said:
Thanks very much for the info. Is there a trail run section (I admittedly haven't looked around the site yet....the tacomaterritory main site directed me here to ask this question).

Sean

We have the upcoming events folder. We also tend to just post up when someone is heading out. We are having a planning meeting this Saturday in Tempe at Native New Yorker for our AzRocks event in April. A few guys are doing a run Sunday too. Cruise the board and see what's here. We cover all levels of wheeling and levels of trucks here. Make yourself at home and snoop around. Keep an eye on the board for all types of stuff to do and meet'n folks.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks again! Found the section you were talking about. Also just found out that the Capt Kirk is leaving for Idaho. Sucks that I can't make the Sunday run....I already have plans for a party.....sucks even more b/c I've never done Mud Springs and would like too....

Oh well. Best wishes to Capt'n Kirk up in Idaho. I was born in Montana and love that area of the country. Hope he likes it as much as I did.

Sean

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
WELCOME!!
I'd say you found the right place but few here wheel. j/k
It's like any forum great place to meet people and you'll eventualy find the group you like to do runs with. Look forward to get out and wheeling with ya.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Sean K. said:
Guilty as charged ;) Yeah, I remember passing you - and then all the other vehicles. Quite a diverse group you were with. Sounds like you found the right place. I am just as happy driving down a dirt road as climbing a water fall. Definately not into the rig bashing - especially since I have to drive it home...

later!
shane

·
Takama's-N-Shit!
9,048 Posts
Welcome!

I think you'll be right at home here. As a few have said already, we have a diverse group here that pretty much covers the spectrum of anything you want to wheel.......heck, some of us "even wheel with Jeeps!" :D

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Sean K. said:
Hi, new to the forum.

I was out in the Florence Junction area last weekend leading some new comers to the sport around the easy areas and passed by 3 built Tacomas on the dirt road leading from the Coke Ovens and Martinez Canyon. They were all headed north, I was headed south.

The first was a white double cab (I think) with Diamond full width axles and what looked like at least 37" tires. The guy stopped and joked with me for a second about my being able to make it down the dirt road the rest of the way.

The next one was a silver extended cab (again, I think) that had a SAS and similar sized tires to the first.

This is gonna sound kinda stupid, but I spent almost 3 years building a Toyota based buggy from scratch and unfortunately, in that time, all of my old wheeling friends have either gotten out of the sport or have turned into what I can only describe as "thrasher bashers".....meaning they are treating their chassis like they are disposeable and they just buy another one every 3 to 5 years.

I'm not a wealthy guy and I damn sure am not fast enough at fabrication to take almost 3 years to build something and then destroy it in another 3 only to start over.

I noticed the Tacoma guys I passed all looked like they used their rigs, but they hadn't beat them to death. Unfortunately, I find myself in a no-man's land of vehicles that aren't built well enough to run harder trails, or like my old friends that go on such extreme trails that I'm going to end up destroying the chassis in short order.

What I'm hoping by coming here is that you guys can point me in the direction of fellow Toyota enthusiasts that wheel hard trails, but are at least somewhat careful about how they wheel.

This thought just occurred to me today, so perhaps I haven't thought it through well enough....hopefully it makes sense.

In any case, here's a pic of my buggy so perhaps one of the 3 will see it and remember passing me.

Obviously, there's a little bit of Toyota blasphemy going on with the Liberty hood, but I just liked the look of the narrowed up hood and grill and there wasn't that much custom fiberglass available when I started the project. Hope you guys won't hold it against me. ;)

Sean
Ever so glad to see your puny little plastic toy car made it thru! I was quite worried that I'd have to send an Aztec to come rescue you in that delicate rig you've got! :D
I, ( incase you haven't guessed ) was the D-cab kidding you.
You have definitely found a great place to meet some wheelers who will use there junk hard, but try not to carelessly thrash.
Yes, I'm going to Idaho. I'm headed up there on Wed. to meet up with some wheelers and possibly buy one of their houses and check out the school I'm going to. I hope to possibly meet you sometime, but there are a bunch of similarly built Taco's here on this board that will be perfect for you to wheel with.
So again WELCOME!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
About this Discussion
26 Replies
9 Participants
Sean K.
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing