TTORA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The guys from TLT might be able to answer this or other people as well... I read and re-read your article on clearancing you taco for 35s. In your opinion would you be able to do the same thing to a taco with no lift to clearance 33's.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It looks like all they did was the pinch weld mod. Even then they still had rubbing after lifting it 1.5". They did say that there was minor rubbing. I bet it would be fine. I need to save a little more money for tires.

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
With fiberglass you can fit 33's stock. Hell i saw 35's on a stock truck once.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As in no lift at all? It seems like you would have to clearance the floor below the pedals too much for that to work. As in the clutch pedal wouldn't go down all the way. Did that one rub at all when it flexed? Do you know?

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
Why would you want 33's with the stock boingers... That's too much tire (as in weight) for for the stock suspension... IMO

Though it could be done... It makes no sense to me...

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Why would you want 33's with the stock boingers... That's too much tire (as in weight) for for the stock suspension... IMO

Though it could be done... It makes no sense to me...
While I do have the stock suspension right now. I ultimately will change it, but I don't really want to change the height, at least not till I move to 35's. As long as the travel is the same I might as well keep it low.

I want 33's but I don't really want to take away from the travel. Any coilover lifts and spacer lifts take away from the down travel. (correct me if I'm wrong on that). If left at stock height the cv has more up and down.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Up travel is what one looses with overly stiff shocks or a spacer lift, not down travel.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Up travel is what one looses with overly stiff shocks or a spacer lift, not down travel.
Please elaborate because as I see it your cv can only droop so far and using a spacer or adjustable coilover to lift the vehicle effectively pushes the angle of the cv down. While your over all droop stays the same ie how far down the cv can safely travel, you already took some off the top of it. The distance is less but the overall angle that the cv gives you is the same.

The upward movement of the cv is now limited by how much the spring will let it travel upwards, but the overall distance (from ride angle to maxing out the compression) that it can travel remain nearly the same. The angle on the cv is less but it starts lower and travels essentially the same distance.

Again this is how I see it if it is wrong please explain.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Lets say that a truck has about 8 inches of articulation. Lets say that the truck sits with 3 inches of up travel and 5 inches of down travel, resulting in a total of 8 inches of suspension travel in the up and down position. You know you have the maximum up travel because the bump stop on the lower arm is touching its contact point and you know you have maximum down travel because the wheel is left hanging in the breeze.

Lets say that there is a desire to lift the front end of the truck. So a set of stiffer springs are placed on the truck resulting in 2 inches of lift, now the truck sits with 3 inches left in down travel, while the potential of articulation is 5 inches of up travel, the entire weight of the truck will only allow for 3 inches of up travel. Effectively 2 inches of articulation have been lost. Those two inches are up travel, the truck will still droop to the same depth or to the end of the original 8 inches but it will only travel up 6 inches or 3 inches above ride height instead of 5 inches. The bumpstop in this case will never touch, it stays about 5/8 to ½ an inch away from its contact point, thus you know you lost up travel.

The way to maintain maximum up and down travel is to match the spring rate to the weight of the front of the truck.

Wally

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
We were saying the same thing just. We were just saying it differently. But I didn't realize that that much was lost out of the top. Makes sense. Thanks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts