TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
this is kindof a specific question so i hope i dont get hit with the "use the search you newb" comment

im planning on 285 75 r16 (33's) and 4.88's manual tranny for my 2.7l taco
the gear ratio calc says ill be at 3000rpm at 70mph on the highway

right now im at 2600 on the highway at 70mph and it is a nice flat highway cruising rpm im worried 3000rpm might be too buzzy. granted i dont do too much highway but when i do im on the highway for hours at a time i dont want to regret 4.88's for a truck that gets drivven everyday and wheeled with like once a month

....i just want to hear from some people with this setup. thanks in advance

p.s.- is it possible to put a higher 5 gear in the w59 tranny? or even a 6 speed swap?

·
Administrator
95.5 Tacoma
18,420 Posts
Sounds like a good combo to me. Thats what Hytenor was running in his truck before he did his SAS.

There is no gearing upgrade for the W59 transmission. Marlin Crawler offers a higher ratio 1st gear for the V6 transmissions, but it isn't available for the 4cyl models.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have the2.7L, I don't have it geared like that but I have a tendency to speed and am frequently at those rpms. The engine isn't what bothers me, it is the road noise from tires etc. I have headers too so it is a little louder (not much though).

:2cents:

·
Retired
4,641 Posts

right now im at 2600 on the highway at 70mph and it is a nice flat highway cruising rpm im worried 3000rpm might be too buzzy. granted i dont do too much highway but when i do im on the highway for hours at a time
2.7L, 5-speed, 4.88s, and 33s. 2800 rpm at 65 mph and 3000 rpm at 70 mph. Engine is not much louder at 3000 than it is at 2500 or even 2000.

I will be stepping up to 35s over the summer, however, as I just don't like cruising at such a high rpm and trying to run at the interstate speed limit (75 mph) is even worse. I also have some kind of problem where i get defueled at about 4500 rpm, before redline and before the speed limiter.

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts
this is kindof a specific question so i hope i dont get hit with the "use the search you newb" comment

right now im at 2600 on the highway at 70mph and it is a nice flat highway cruising rpm im worried 3000rpm might be too buzzy. granted i dont do too much highway but when i do im on the highway for hours at a time i dont want to regret 4.88's for a truck that gets drivven everyday and wheeled with like once a month

....i just want to hear from some people with this setup. thanks in advance

p.s.- is it possible to put a higher 5 gear in the w59 tranny? or even a 6 speed swap?
If you wheel the truck a lot you'll appriciate the lower 4.88s. I ran 4.56s with 33s for a couple years but wanted a little lower gearing for some of the tougher trails I started doing...huge difference on the trail in low range but not that much of a difference on the road.
my in-town mileage actually went up after switching to 4.88s and hwy stayed about the same as long as I kept it under 70. But, with our crappy aerodynamics the extra rpms at speeds over 70 really sucked the gas with
4.88s compared to 4.56s.

I recently make the big mistake of not regearing to 5.29s with the swap and 35s...gonna cost a bundle now...o well.

I don't need the 5.29s for the trail since I have the crawler but street performance really sucks now and gas mileage has completely tanked to just over 13:eek: .

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
ive got 33's 4:88's with a v6 and im cruising @ around 3200 rpms on the highway...at first it was iffy but now im just use to it....
Id worry even less with the 4cyl.

·
Registered
444 Posts
If you wheel the truck a lot you'll appriciate the lower 4.88s. I ran 4.56s with 33s for a couple years but wanted a little lower gearing for some of the tougher trails I started doing...huge difference on the trail in low range but not that much of a difference on the road.
my in-town mileage actually went up after switching to 4.88s and hwy stayed about the same as long as I kept it under 70. But, with our crappy aerodynamics the extra rpms at speeds over 70 really sucked the gas with
4.88s compared to 4.56s.

I recently make the big mistake of not regearing to 5.29s with the swap and 35s...gonna cost a bundle now...o well.

I don't need the 5.29s for the trail since I have the crawler but street performance really sucks now and gas mileage has completely tanked to just over 13:eek: .
13 miles per gallon? holly shnikes! i thought my measly 20 sucked left over easter eggs.

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts
13 miles per gallon? holly shnikes! i thought my measly 20 sucked left over easter eggs.
yea, I dropped from around 18 to 13.5...hwy

I've got a couple of ideas to play with to get things back up but none of them will be cheap.

regearing to 5.29s
change complete exhaust system to 2.5" ID from the header back (currently OE, 2.0")
Install URD MAF calibrater.

I got 26 when stock and keeping it under 65.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I have 4.88's with 33's and 2.7 + auto trans. I like my setup on the street and on the trail.

Is there any problem with the strength of the 5.29's with 35" tires?

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts
I have 4.88's with 33's and 2.7 + auto trans. I like my setup on the street and on the trail.

Is there any problem with the strength of the 5.29's with 35" tires?
not if the gears are set up correctly

5.29s will be better with the AT and 33s...gets you to what the newer rigs came stock with 4.56s/31s.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I checked my speedo with a GPS with my setup (33's + 4.88's + 2.7 + auto trans) and it's off by 6%. So when the speedo says I'm going 53 mph, my actual speed is 50 mph. The gearing is slightly lower than stock. I wouldn't mind even lower gearing for the trail but that's not a cheap mod.

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts
I checked my speedo with a GPS with my setup (33's + 4.88's + 2.7 + auto trans) and it's off by 6%. So when the speedo says I'm going 53 mph, my actual speed is 50 mph. The gearing is slightly lower than stock. I wouldn't mind even lower gearing for the trail but that's not a cheap mod.

LOL, nothing about this hobby is cheap.

find out which speedo drive gear you have. If it is a 30 or 31tooth you can swap it out for a 32 or 33 and be pretty close to dead on.

http://www.norcalttora.com/~chris/misc/speedo drive gear/
http://www.tacomaterritory.com/wiki/index.php/Speedometer_error

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
yea, I dropped from around 18 to 13.5...hwy

I've got a couple of ideas to play with to get things back up but none of them will be cheap.

regearing to 5.29s
change complete exhaust system to 2.5" ID from the header back (currently OE, 2.0")
Install URD MAF calibrater.

I got 26 when stock and keeping it under 65.
They money you'd save in better mpg (let's say you get 16 mpg after the mods you listed) really doesn't warrant the amount of money you'd have to spend to get that stuff done. If you're gonna drop the $$$ to do those things, you'd only be doing it so that you wouldn't have to stop as frequently for gas.

Same idea as people buying a Prius to save money on gas. It's been shown that you'd have to drive it for 10 years for you to break even.

~Miguel

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts
They money you'd save in better mpg (let's say you get 16 mpg after the mods you listed) really doesn't warrant the amount of money you'd have to spend to get that stuff done. If you're gonna drop the $$$ to do those things, you'd only be doing it so that you wouldn't have to stop as frequently for gas.

Same idea as people buying a Prius to save money on gas. It's been shown that you'd have to drive it for 10 years for you to break even.

~Miguel
LOL, yea, like I'll do all this just for mileage...At the moment is is debatable whether or not the truck could even get TO the trailheads in the mountains :p unless I like to drive in 2nd gear most of the way.

actually, the savings on buying a Prius vs some other cheap, hi-mileage commuter has been carried out past the 10yr point...still doesn't pay. ;)

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
LOL, yea, like I'll do all this just for mileage...At the moment is is debatable whether or not the truck could even get TO the trailheads in the mountains :p unless I like to drive in 2nd gear most of the way.

actually, the savings on buying a Prius vs some other cheap, hi-mileage commuter has been carried out past the 10yr point...still doesn't pay. ;)
and to continue the off topicness- the environmental foot print of a hybrid is much larger than that of a fuel efficient commuter as the batteries and all that electronic stuff is VERY toxic to produce and is not recyclable!!! much of it is shipped to the 3rd world where it is burned...or even disassembled by children...

sorry couldnt resist, my sister bought a damn hybrid against my advice and i've been pissed ever since.:D

Mike

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts
and to continue the off topicness- the environmental foot print of a hybrid is much larger than that of a fuel efficient commuter as the batteries and all that electronic stuff is VERY toxic to produce and is not recyclable!!! much of it is shipped to the 3rd world where it is burned...or even disassembled by children...

sorry couldnt resist, my sister bought a damn hybrid against my advice and i've been pissed ever since.:D

Mike
Oh, there you go with those silly little details, sheesh :p

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Its my job:p no really it is.

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
They money you'd save in better mpg (let's say you get 16 mpg after the mods you listed) really doesn't warrant the amount of money you'd have to spend to get that stuff done.
Another thing to consider, other than money at that bad of gas milage is your range on a tank of gas. 18gal * 13mi/gal = not all that far milage. I'd be kind of annoyed if I had a vehicle that couldn't go 250 miles on a tank.

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts
Another thing to consider, other than money at that bad of gas milage is your range on a tank of gas. 18gal * 13mi/gal = not all that far milage. I'd be kind of annoyed if I had a vehicle that couldn't go 250 miles on a tank.
yup.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts