TTORA Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is moab and the surrounding areas, e.g. canyonlands, arches, white rim trail, etc, doable this time of year? or is it covered in snow? i am not looking to do hardcore trails, mainly scenery stuff.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I ran Elephant Hill Trail in Canyonlands in February 2003. There was no snow at the time, but there was wet slickrock from a rainstorm the night before. I know the trail can get minor amounts of snow on it. See http://www.boomspeed.com/lcraymond/Mike1.htm for pics of my trip (high-res pics, takes a minute to load).

·
Registered
204 Posts
You can do it year round. They get snow but not that much. You need a permit for White Rim though and I don't know if they issue them in the winter.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the response everyone.

grntaco: so all of the places i listed are doable this time of year? or just white rim? thanks!

·
Retired
4,641 Posts
peekay331 said:
is moab and the surrounding areas, e.g. canyonlands, arches, white rim trail, etc, doable this time of year? or is it covered in snow? i am not looking to do hardcore trails, mainly scenery stuff.
I was just down there over Thanksgiving. I have a good number of pictures in the Past Events folder under the title Moab for Thanksgiving. It was pretty cold up on Gold Bar rim as the wind was blowing pretty hard. Check out the second page of pictures for Rusty Nail and you'll see the snow at Motel 6.

I would check the weather forecast before planning anything. The snow rolled in fast out there.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I'm a new Tacoma owner in Utah and I really have not done much in the off road department (sportbike rider... i really got the tacoma to haul my sportbike to race tracks, haha) but I would like to. How well does the stock tacoma do in stuff like this? Should I even bother or just stick with easy stuff?

·
Kill Yourself!
2,091 Posts
spidiracer said:
I'm a new Tacoma owner in Utah and I really have not done much in the off road department (sportbike rider... i really got the tacoma to haul my sportbike to race tracks, haha) but I would like to. How well does the stock tacoma do in stuff like this? Should I even bother or just stick with easy stuff?
Do you have 4x4 and a TRD e-locker?

·
Retired
4,641 Posts
spidiracer said:
First of all... Welcome!

Second, where in Utah are you? I'm in Ogden.

Third, is it 4x4? TRD locker in back?

Finally, depends on how much damage you want to sustain. J/k :)

Check in over at www.ut-ttora.com for the local chapter, if you haven't done so already.

·
I think I remember where Moab is?
1,227 Posts
peekay331 said:
I am not from Utah although I am a member of the UTAH TTORA chapter and live real close to Utah, but yeah moab is totally doable. I have freinds that live there in Moab and they go out all year long. Some of the trails can get alittle nasty but most are good all year long. If they get snow, it doesn't stick around long....which is cool cause the LaSal Mtn's have snow on them for much of the year...and they are within sight of town....

·
Registered
55 Posts
I've got a 1997 4x4 2.7lt regular cab, no TRD locker in the back as far as I know. The truck is bone stock (which is what I wanted when I got it) and I went off roading for the first time the other day... went on the little trail that goes from farmington canyon to bountiful. I know most of you probably don't consider that much of anything but i had a blast :) Right now i'm in SLC but i'll be moving back up to ogden to finish school at Weber. I'll post up some pics of my truck and my once beautiful sportbike later tonight :)

·
Registered
55 Posts

Here's my sportbike I lost in a wreck july 3rd. Open compund tibia fracture, fibula fracture, heel fracture all in my left leg... not a lot of fun let me tell you. Here's the video of the crash if anyone is interested.

http://www.callmegeek.com/hosting/fzrlowside.wmv

And here is a little video of some riding :) I need to get some pics of my truck when I go wheeling.. I would like to go with someone experienced though so I dont do something stupid and roll my truck, haha.

http://www.callmegeek.com/hosting/fzrvideo.wmv

·
Retired
4,641 Posts
spidiracer said:
I've got a 1997 4x4 2.7lt regular cab, no TRD locker in the back as far as I know. The truck is bone stock (which is what I wanted when I got it) and I went off roading for the first time the other day... went on the little trail that goes from farmington canyon to bountiful. I know most of you probably don't consider that much of anything but i had a blast :) Right now i'm in SLC but i'll be moving back up to ogden to finish school at Weber. I'll post up some pics of my truck and my once beautiful sportbike later tonight :)
That's a good start. There's a good number of regular cab guys in the local chapter that can you can talk to, though we're all helpful guys.

You just missed the club dinner we had the other night in West Jordan, it was a blast!

When are you coming up to Weber?

PM me, because I'm at Weber now.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I'm supposed to start next semester (jan 10th) if all goes well. Problem is I have HUUUGE hospital bills from the accident. I should be back by then though... just living off ramen noodles and penut butter. I'm up at the ogden athletic club this saturday and then back in slc for the remander for december. Can't afford to put any money in to the truck yet but I want to :) I have to learn a lot more about lift kits, and axles, and all that first.... should be fun :D

·
Retired
4,641 Posts
spidiracer said:
I'm supposed to start next semester (jan 10th) if all goes well. Problem is I have HUUUGE hospital bills from the accident. I should be back by then though... just living off ramen noodles and penut butter. I'm up at the ogden athletic club this saturday and then back in slc for the remander for december. Can't afford to put any money in to the truck yet but I want to :) I have to learn a lot more about lift kits, and axles, and all that first.... should be fun :D
We should meet up when you finally make it up to WSU.

I'm guessing that your in physical rehabilitation after all your surgeries?
Get well soon.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Actually the break was just above my boot and none of my joints were damaged so i did not need physical therapy. Of course after not being able to use my ankle for a few months it hurts pretty bad sometimes. The worst part is over though and I can walk now without much hassle. Running or jumping... not going to happen yet... all thats holding my bone togeather is a titanium rod. I'm trying to find a part time job up there before I can start so we'll see how that goes. I will deffinately let you know when i am up there for good :)

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
mr.trd said:
I am not from Utah although I am a member of the UTAH TTORA chapter and live real close to Utah, but yeah moab is totally doable. I have freinds that live there in Moab and they go out all year long. Some of the trails can get alittle nasty but most are good all year long. If they get snow, it doesn't stick around long....which is cool cause the LaSal Mtn's have snow on them for much of the year...and they are within sight of town....
thanks guys. i'm planning to go around 12/14'ish so hopefully it won't be too snowy...

·
Retired
4,641 Posts
spidiracer said:
Actually the break was just above my boot and none of my joints were damaged so i did not need physical therapy. Of course after not being able to use my ankle for a few months it hurts pretty bad sometimes. The worst part is over though and I can walk now without much hassle. Running or jumping... not going to happen yet... all thats holding my bone togeather is a titanium rod. I'm trying to find a part time job up there before I can start so we'll see how that goes. I will deffinately let you know when i am up there for good :)
That's very lucky!

My buddy back in Alaska broke his collar bone riding his bicycle in his driveway.

There's a pretty good gym here at WSU that I go to everyday. It's free if you have a $5 Wildcat card. Lots of good machines and weights to work with to get you back together.

See ya later,

1 - 17 of 17 Posts