TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's that time in every truck's running (or garage ornament) life when a second car needs to step in to handle DD duty.

Anybody have maintenance/repair opinions on early 2K model Subarus, or Audis? The Subaru is naturally aspirated, the Audi has their larger turbocharged engine, but I think it's a single rather than a twin...not that it matters so much.

They're both AWD, I can stick a rocket box on either, seats fold down in both, they both haul ass (the Audi will out-accelerate the Subie, not that it really matters), and I'd keep either one for several years.

Thoughts, anyone? :confused:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Buy the subaru. Both cars have very similar awd systems. The Audi is a nicer driving car and will get more looks, but it will also leave you stranded and your bank account empty. Subaru fun,good in the snow,fuel effiecient, Reliable! GO with the Subi you wont regret it.:D

Just for some personal experience, I write service for Subaru and they are all but bullet proof. I have owned an 2001 A4 avant. The car was fun but everytime I started it I had another check engine light with another $500 problem. I replace all of the coil packs in that car at least once and a couple twice in the span of 4 months of ownership.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
I'm in full agreement with you about needing a DD besides the truck. I have no valuable input other than I really wanted an S4 before I opted for the ///M. I like Audi's and Subaru's *shrug

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
I'm a Vw guy but I'd say get the subi. Audis are like that chick you dated in highschool that was clingy and needed everything right that second. The wiring in those cars is enough to make you crazy. From what I have seen the only relief comes at time of sale or while your watching it burn on the side of the road

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
My Subaru kinda pisses me off sometimes... It is however a high mileage car that sees about 120 miles every single day. (My dad is borrowing it). The thing that makes me mad is that at 130k it already had a head gasket blow. And the previous owner mentioned a great battle with the viscous coupler. And now it's definitely got a touch of rod knock. On a cold morning it's a LOUD rod knock. But I guess it keeps kicking. And we don't exactly baby it. Sometimes after a large snow storm we just floor it up the hill at let the belly drag while the tires dig for traction. So I guess it's fairly reliable..for what we do to it.

I have hear horror stories about Audi reliability and cost of repairs/maitenance. So I guess I would say Subie.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Everyone has a Subby ... get an Audi ...

if you buy a used Audi and it runs strong you know the bugs have been worked out ... with Subaru's,they hide there problems and don't get found til you're street meat! Hehe
Subby's are overprized!

·
Registered
252 Posts
Id say subaru, they deff have there issues, head gaskets! But they are supper easy to wrk on! Id rather pull a subie engine to do head gaskets then mess with an audi.. only way id have a audi would be if I won the lotto! Pricey to maintain, it better still be under warrenty. Lease an audi!? Own a subie!

·
Registered
6,489 Posts
Sean, You live close to boulder, are you sure you even have a choice?
thats true, you are required to buy the subaru due to your proximity to boulder.

i say get the subaru anyway. Audis are like all eruo cars, fun to drive, turns heads, luxurious, and require a small fortune to maintain. the subaru will outlive you and always get you from a to b but it will blend in like a noodle on a plate of spaghetti.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Dont get an old Audi. It will be more of a project than anything. I work at an Import Shop in Colorado Springs, trust me. Reliablility wise I'd get the Subaru for sure.

I had a built 2002 Wrx and loved the shit outta that car, but really didn't want to spend $7k on a built race tranny, when I could build the Taco or buy an STi.....

My next dd will be an 06+ S4 with the 4.2, but thats cause I can work on them and its purely a panty dropper.

Adam

·
Registered
523 Posts
We have 04 subuaru forester xt (yes the 2.5 turbo charged) that is gobbs faster then my buddies A4 1.8 turbo and so much smoother and better in the snow.

For sure go with the subuaru

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Gawdammit, you guys are not helping :lmao:. I want the Audi.

Took some test drives today...unfortunately, the Roo I was chasing sold, but there are more...like this one.

99 Legacy Sedan

I also took a look at some Audis...spent far more time test driving them (4 different engines). Heard what a turbo sounds like, when it's ready to take a dump...saw what the electronic console looks like when it's going bad...found the 2.7T is one of two acceptable engines (power-wise) in that car...

!#$%...whole world is telling me to get the Subi. So are my own common-sense instincts. On the other hand, the voices in my head...they are never sensible, of course...are saying "get the Auuuudi...g-e-e-e-e-e-t the Aaaauuudi..."

So, maintenance-wise, how much on these cars can a guy do himself?

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
From what I hear, it doesn't matter if you do the work yourself on the Audi. A friend of mine said he spent $800 just in parts to do the brakes.

I have a '99 Legacy Sedan. It's cool I guess. Get the 2.5L at least. Mine could stand to be a touch quicker and it has the 2.5. I can't imagine the smaller engine.

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
From what I hear, it doesn't matter if you do the work yourself on the Audi. A friend of mine said he spent $800 just in parts to do the brakes.

I have a '99 Legacy Sedan. It's cool I guess. Get the 2.5L at least. Mine could stand to be a touch quicker and it has the 2.5. I can't imagine the smaller engine.
The one in the ad above sounds like it's pretty much same as yours. Any cautions or other comments?

Yeah my build doesn't suggest "normal" or "reasonable" :lmao:

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
Head gaskets and the viscous coupler are the only issues that I know of with these cars. We already went through one head gasket. The overheating due to the headgasket that my dad didn't notice until the radiator blew has now caused the rod knock. But had that not happened, it would still be running great. It still does run pretty good. It's just a little noisier. But like I said, my Dad drives the crap out of it and it still keeps going. Oh and keep an eye on the oil. We had an '07 Impreza with the same motor that used to make it disappear...

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Minimum Audi brake job is rotors and pads $800.
The oil for those 1.8 and 2.0 piece of shit engines is like $100 per oil change.

Subaru (my old wrx) I put hawk pads big ol' rotors $250.00 all the way around.
Mobil 1 oil change... $45

As said before... just perspective. If you can swing it, the Audi is pimp for sure. I love the newer interiors and v8.... hawttt...

1 - 20 of 47 Posts