TTORA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went wheeling this weekend but ran into some trouble with my front locker. I was trying to make a slow speed turn in 4WD but the steering wheel would not move once it was turned. It was like the steering wheel was locked. We got out and took a look at it but didn't see anything wrong from the outside. I even took it out of 4WD but that made no difference. Finally we unlocked the hubs and that got the the steering back. I relocked the hubs after straightening the steering and got a lot of binding when making any types of turns. Eventually I would hear a loud pop and the binding would let up some. Luckily I have my ADD actuator wired independently from the 4WD system so my final solution was to just leave my ADD actuator off for most of the day, roll around in 3 wheel drive, and just turn on the actuator when I needed the extra traction.

Any ideas whats going on? I've wheeled with this locker on 4-5 other trips since its install and it worked flawlessly. I'm planning on pulling the front diff this weekend to see whats up. Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem.

·
Banned
722 Posts
That's the nature of a lunch box locker they do what they want, when they want. Were you in rocks or mud? Really tight turn under low throttle? If so then it's probably not going to unlock.

·
Registered
5,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was on dirt most of the day. I'm familiar with the locker unlocking when there is no torque applied. I used to be able to hear it clicking in turns but now it is just failing to unlock even in 2WD when the front end wasn't receiving any power from the t-case.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Mine was to the point on turns that it would shake the whole truck- bang bang bang. It was full of mud... as in, 3 quarts of goo out of the fill plug :eek:.

·
Deal Master
2,775 Posts
Any ideas whats going on?
It's a sign telling you to go ARB air locker-
Atleast its designed to default disengage

Take some pics when you open it up.
Also chalk it up to +1 for manual hubs

·
Registered
5,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mine was to the point on turns that it would shake the whole truck- bang bang bang. It was full of mud... as in, 3 quarts of goo out of the fill plug :eek:.
You called it.

Diff only had about a PINT of gear oil in it. The rest was mud and water. I drained all the crap out and topped it off with gear oil. The passenger side immediately started unlocking normally. The driver side "popped" once but also began working normally after that. Woke up this morning to find gear oil coming out of the passenger axle seal. Going to pick one up today and replace it.

Thanks for the help everyone!

·
Premium Member
3,071 Posts
Do you have an extended breather on the front??

·
Registered
5,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No, I hadn't really put much thought to it. Something to think about doing soon, though. Good suggestion.

·
Premium Member
3,071 Posts
I extended mine when I installed the gears and locker, but it would be interesting to know just where it came in..

·
Registered
16 Posts
Doesn't the stock front breather go up to the fender anyway? At least thats where mine goes. The only time I have had any trouble with it is after I had a shop regear it and they forgot to hook up the breather tube. What are you guys going through to get stuff sucked in there?

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
just wondering who installed the locker...?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts