TTORA Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:confused: Hard to explain but, when you let your off the gas and instead of coasting, does yours feel like it downshifts and slows down quite rapidly? Say you're driving along, and there's a red light coming up in the distance, you take your foot off the gas, but instead of coasting to the light, is slows down so much quicker than expected. I never noticed this on wife's 2006 4runner, or my ex-2000 3.4 v6.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Compression braking, mine does it too. as the klics rolled up on it it lessened quite a bit.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Mine does it, and I like that it does. I live in an area that has a little more stop and go driving than I would like, so it helps to save on the breaks. Seems that it's more pronounced around certain speeds as well.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
:confused: Hard to explain but, when you let your off the gas and instead of coasting, does yours feel like it downshifts and slows down quite rapidly? Say you're driving along, and there's a red light coming up in the distance, you take your foot off the gas, but instead of coasting to the light, is slows down so much quicker than expected. I never noticed this on wife's 2006 4runner, or my ex-2000 3.4 v6.
Its part of the programing, if you read the service manual it tells you the parameters for torque-converter unlock and downshift. IIRC You have to be on the brake, it will still coast w/out unlocking.

Does the FJ have different programing that downshifts more? Its the same tranny, but mine wont grab 3rd coming down a steep dirt road like the FJ advertises.

·
Registered
305 Posts
My 06 double cab does the same thing, the tranny is just doing what it was designed to do. I like it in the mountains where I live going down hill, or when I am pulling my 20 ft camper I think it helps.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Perfectly normal op. Enjoy less wear on your brakes.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Its funny that this thread was brought back to life, 'cus I have an update. I just drove back f/ San Diego to Yuma today. On the way back, there's a whole lot of downhill, 6% grades. This "engine compression braking" or whatever you call it, worked great. When I got going a bit too fast downhill, I'd let off the accelerator and it would gradually slow down, to the point where I didn't need to touch my brakes, like I used to on my 2000 taco. The wife even liked this feature 'cus she's always nervous on downhill speeds.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Its funny that this thread was brought back to life, 'cus I have an update. I just drove back f/ San Diego to Yuma today. On the way back, there's a whole lot of downhill, 6% grades. This "engine compression braking" or whatever you call it, worked great. When I got going a bit too fast downhill, I'd let off the accelerator and it would gradually slow down, to the point where I didn't need to touch my brakes, like I used to on my 2000 taco. The wife even liked this feature 'cus she's always nervous on downhill speeds.
X2 that's why I like mine. I live in a hilly area and it saves my brakes. :2cents:

·
Registered
423 Posts
Yeah I think this auto is the best auto trans I have ever driven. Almost like it can see the road 'cause it acts perfectly no matter the situation. I bought this truck used and was worried about the auto (I like manuals), but I am pleased with it. Still wish it was a stick sometimes though.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Dont think of it as a down fall. Its saving your brakes. Another reason why the newbody tacos arent sooo bad....

·
Registered
464 Posts
Coming from manual transmission cars only, I really like that mine does it. I also usually drive around town in 4 so I'm not on the brakes all the time.
I coast up to every red light in neutral w/ my 5-speed. I get kick-ass gas mileage too I'm sure in part from the coasting.

·
Registered
397 Posts
have you had a transmission drain and fill lately? check this out from the az forum..

http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=76131

(post #9)
i had Camelback do some service work and they never did it but told me they did. i paid to do a drain and fill on the tranny and put paint marker on the transmission drain plug, got home & checked the paint, hehe it had never been touched. i went back and told them. they gave me this big song and dance about it didn't need to be done but yet they still charged me? WTF i said to the service manager. i told them they better get it done or i'd destroy there rep w/3 on my side. so long story short they did it and fucked it up. it wasn't fiiled properly and the tranny was prematurly shifting, jacked up some shift pack solenoid and was low 1 1/2q of fluid. Not to mention what happened with the perma plate package they so call did for me. broke a speaker grill, stained my seats...bla blabla bla. i got it all fixed though threw Avondale. the truck is top notch now.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts