TTORA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Might possibly be buying a truck that is about 8 hrs away. Would like to explore having it shipped here as my time is limited. Anybody have any good recommendations on auto shippers? It is a 2013 Tundra, so I would like to have a good shipper that is careful.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
True Story-

A buddy of mine buys a nice old mustang that's in some other state somewhere.

It looks like shipping it is gonna be expensive, so he starts seeking cheaper options.

He finds a guy with a flatbed 18 wheeler, and works out a deal.

A couple days later, here's the car.

Except for one thing...

Our truck driver only had those wide yellow straps that wind up on ratchets. It's the normal setup for a flatbed and that's what he had.

So, after trying to figure out how to tie down the car for a while, he rolls down the windows and passes the strap through to the other side.

Then he cranks down on the strap with a big cheater bar until it's tight like a banjo string and drives away.

No shit.

It bent the doors all to fuck, rubbed the paint off, and completely filled the interior of the car with black diesel soot.

Pretty much totaled the car. It was a nice old mustang, but far from being a show car.

Dude tried to get his money back, but I don't think he got anywhere with it.

The truck belonged to the dumbass driver, but was leased to some trucking company that had lawyers.

So, be careful.

I don't think I would use ANYBODY that wasn't specifically set up to move cars, and bonded.

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
True Story-

A buddy of mine buys a nice old mustang that's in some other state somewhere.

It looks like shipping it is gonna be expensive, so he starts seeking cheaper options.

He finds a guy with a flatbed 18 wheeler, and works out a deal.

A couple days later, here's the car.

Except for one thing...

Our truck driver only had those wide yellow straps that wind up on ratchets. It's the normal setup for a flatbed and that's what he had.

So, after trying to figure out how to tie down the car for a while, he rolls down the windows and passes the strap through to the other side.

Then he cranks down on the strap with a big cheater bar until it's tight like a banjo string and drives away.

No shit.

It bent the doors all up, rubbed the paint off, and completely filled the interior of the car with black diesel smoke.

Pretty much totaled the car. It was a nice old mustang, but far from being a show car.

Dude tried to get his money back, but I don't think he got anywhere with it.

The truck belonged to the dumbass driver, but was leased to some trucking company that had lawyers.

So, be careful.

I don't think I would use ANYBODY that wasn't specifically set up to move cars, and bonded.
yeah that sucks. I am definitely seeking the cheapest option. My main worry is the shipping company being a scam. and poof, truck payment, but no truck.

·
Registered
311 Posts
If its only 8 hours its going to be far more cost effective to just drive it. Shipping is a huge hassle

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If its only 8 hours its going to be far more cost effective to just drive it. Shipping is a huge hassle
truth, just exploring all options. Looking at another one about 4.5 hrs away, so that would make things much easier.

if i drive, do i:

a) rent a car one way
b) drive in my own car down, rent a uhaul trailer and tow back
c) have my what would sure to be pissed off wife drive down with me and we both drive back
d) pay a buddy to drive down with me and drive both cars back

leaning towards uhaul trailer, however i have seen some of those things and dont have a whole lot of faith in them

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
looked up u haul prices, and its $333 to rent a trailer.

cheapest option seems to be rental car one way

·
"Terry Tate"
3,511 Posts
Even if you rent a car for 1 way, stay in a hotel for a night if you need to and drive back it would be cheaper and you'd feel better about it. Would you consider having it checked out before you committed to buying and driving it back?

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Even if you rent a car for 1 way, stay in a hotel for a night if you need to and drive back it would be cheaper and you'd feel better about it. Would you consider having it checked out before you committed to buying and driving it back?
yeah I am just going to drive down and get it and drive it back. will be more time but cheaper and less hastle.

also, lesson on the year here, do not ever request a quote from a shipping company through the internet again. I requested a quote from 2 or 3 places and I have had at least 20 companies blowing up my email and my phone. emails, calls, texts. they text me to tell me that they emailed me, then call me to tell me they texted me. it is insane.

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
wife option

lol that took way too long before someone suggested that.

looks like ill be renting a car returning it once i get there, and driving the new vehicle up. 16 hour round trip; solo. leaving midnight friday to get there by 830am saturday morning, and should be back in Cincinnati by 6pm. plenty of weekend left over!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts