TTORA Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 02 Taco 4x4 V6 auto and I was thinking about converting it to a manual tranny. Do you guys think it would be worth it? What are the advantages of having a manual tranny? How hard do you think it would be? Thanks

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Why not just sell the truck and buy one just like it that already has a manual transmission?

If you convert the one you have, you're going to be spending extra money on parts and labor as well as dealing with the risk of chopping up your truck(need a new ECU, manual tranny, etc). You could always invest that money into buying a truck that's already a manual and is actually a slightly better one than what you currently own(in terms of factory options and possibly the year/milleage). Usually a manual transmission-equipped vehicle is cheaper to buy than an auto too... so you might luck out and actually save a tiny bit of money if you manage to sell your auto truck private party, and then buy a similar one in a manual.

·
Registered
227 Posts
partyman66 said:
Why not just sell the truck and buy one just like it that already has a manual transmission?

If you convert the one you have, you're going to be spending extra money on parts and labor as well as dealing with the risk of chopping up your truck(need a new ECU, manual tranny, etc). You could always invest that money into buying a truck that's already a manual and is actually a slightly better one than what you currently own(in terms of factory options and possibly the year/milleage). Usually a manual transmission-equipped vehicle is cheaper to buy than an auto too... so you might luck out and actually save a tiny bit of money if you manage to sell your auto truck private party, and then buy a similar one in a manual.
X2

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
Control on hill decent is about the only good thing that if have found with a manual. All the other trucks besides mine and one fj i have wheeled with are manuals. My auto gives better control up hill and in and if need be the ability to stop on a hill and restart with out much trouble. Also speed control over a obstacle is nice with out a crawler it can be hard for the manual guys to ease over things while i can just start adding a bit more throttle as needed. As for longevity of a manual verses a auto it is really to the point where it is about the same considering you take care of your rig and keep the tranny from overheating. I would stick with the auto and save of for other mods maybe even a shift kit install to give the truck a bit better shifting ability.

The debate about auto verses manual has been done about 100 times on this board with just about the same result each time 50/50 split.

·
Registered
796 Posts
While I have the manual, from my time around here I have a high opinion of the auto. I would even bet (not for money cause these guys would school me), that there are more threads related to manual concerns than auto for the 3.4. The manual with the 3.4 is, IMO, a bit fussy. Just change/fush the fluid and drive on w the auto.

·
Registered
401 Posts
02TacoRunner said:
I have a 02 Taco 4x4 V6 auto and I was thinking about converting it to a manual tranny. Do you guys think it would be worth it? What are the advantages of having a manual tranny? How hard do you think it would be? Thanks
Drive to Clinton, MS and ill trade you straight up. OR NOT. Just sell it, you live in Cali. Its not like there aren't 2038209 other Tacomas that are manual. Unless you have a Double Cab and just want the manual. Thats a diff story.

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
02TacoRunner said:
anything's possible with enough $$ and you'll need a ton for the exchange.
just off the top of my head:

tranny, bell housing
ecu
drivelines
xmember?
clutch assembly
interior parts...pedal, etc, center console, shifters, etc.
wiring harnesses
clutch master cyl

everything could be taken off a wrecked manual taco but it won't be cheap.
you'd better be a heck of a wrench to do the swap ;)

as to which is better...it's a preference thing as there are pros and cons to both depending on type of wheeling you do.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I like my manual!
To me, it seems like I wouldn't be 'crawlin if it weren't done in a manual, but like everyone else says, it's completely your preference. As for whoever said that 3.4 5spd's are fussy, I don't know where you got that from. IMO they're one of the better manuals on the road. They hold up very well under the abuse we can put on 'em and also handle the loads of these guys running superchargers, nitrous, and high HP engines.

I would agree with everyone else tho, it makes much more sense to sell your truck and buy a factory 5sp if you're that serious about it. I don't know about where you live, but around here, it's kinda a rarity to see an auto tacoma, 99% of them are manual, but that might be cuz Colorado is just that cool :bitchslap

·
Registered
218 Posts
I have a 5-speed and love it! As everyone has said...they both have their place though. The auto is WAY better for extreme situations; the manual is more bullet-proof...I assume. Autos are getting pretty reliable these days though... Basically, don't swap. Just trade in. Like a wife. Cheaper that way. :xbeer2:

·
Registered
12 Posts
well.....i can honestly say....from personal experience....its not fun...but it's do-able.

while my post count may be low on THIS forum.....that doesnt mean i havent frequented other forums...

i am among the elite few who can say they have done this procedure.....in a garage, on concrete blocks.......:D
my last auto to manual transplant was on a 2000 hyundai tiburon. it was my friends car....he wanted it done because of the "performance aspects" of a manual over an auto.....

i know that that was a front wheel drive car, and i know that this would be different.....but the overall concept is still the same......

with that being said, it took me 6 days. roughly. i took an entire week off of work.

the REAL question you need to be asking yourself is why? what type of driving do you mostly do? city? freeway? do you use boat-ramps alot? do you tow with it? mostly off-road? have you driven the same truck in manual and just prefer it? why? how much mechanical experience do you have? are you mechanically inclined? do you enjoy turning wrenches? do you have someone that could help you? i'm not trying to nag you to death, it's just that these are important questions....

do YOU think it's worth it....thats the real question.
it's totally possible. it's totally plausible. it's been done.

hit me up if you have any questions...
kev

·
Registered
503 Posts
This is my thread. I wont be doing any crawling with my truck, it is gonna be a desert truck and Im still considering doing it. I would trade it in for a manual but I owe too much on it and I have already invested alot in the one I have. Let me know what you guys think

·
Registered
2,509 Posts

they dont make the manual in my body style and i love shifting gears!

·
Registered
531 Posts
Just a small side note . . .

I remember having a conversation with Marlin (from marlincrawler.com) and he mentioned that passing smog is a real pain when you switch from an auto to a manual. (The conversation came up when I was trying to figure out how to convert my PreRunner to 4WD and we considered swapping trannys.) . . .

I really don't remember the details, but I believe it had something to do with the visual inspection by the smog guy (because what he sees will contradict what the VIN indicates), as well as the way the ECU works . . .

But I think if you replace the ECU (as Hytenor mentioned) and you have a smog guy who won't get hung up on the visual inspection, then it can work. . . . I would just do a lot of research to make sure before going through all the trouble. . . . .

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
About this Discussion
16 Replies
16 Participants
Revivalist
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing