TTORA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Although reluctant to give up my old 5-speed, I made the jump to a double cab and thus, an automatic tranny.

My questions are, what is the average life of an auto ('02 doublecab), considering it's a daily driver, rarely used for towing and I do light-to-moderate 4-wheelin on occasion.

Also, what intervals do you all flush your tranny at. I have 72k; No flush yet. I got a buddy in a '00 with 100k, no flush, no problems.

Thanks,

Beave

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
auto trans

Beave said:
Hey all,

My questions are, what is the average life of an auto ('02 doublecab), considering it's a daily driver, rarely used for towing and I do light-to-moderate 4-wheelin on occasion.

Also, what intervals do you all flush your tranny at. I have 72k; No flush yet. I got a buddy in a '00 with 100k, no flush, no problems.

Thanks,

Beave
Hey Beave,
the trans should last a good while as long as it's not abused in any manner. However, an auto tranny is recommended to be flushed every 60K miles. 100K is just asking for premature failure and a big hole in his pocket book! Peace, Wes

·
Registered
64 Posts
Beave said:
Hey all,

Although reluctant to give up my old 5-speed, I made the jump to a double cab and thus, an automatic tranny.

Thanks,

Beave
Try doing the "drain and fill" every 15k or so, throwing in a full flush every now and then (60k is a good idea). It will keep your tranny happy. 100k is waay to long to let ATF run in the trans, it breaks down like any other oil.

·
Deal Master
2,773 Posts
Beave said:
Hey all,

Thanks,

Beave
For my wifes vehicle- I so simple drain & refills every 30K

·
Stinks like fish
986 Posts
Beave said:
Hey all,

Thanks,

Beave
I drain and refill once a year which is less and less miles lately(23k total :xzzz: ). Also add a tranny cooler as insurance. Since the truck has that many miles on it I would do a flush soon. Then you can assume the once every 10-15k drain and refill routine that I like to use. if the fluid in the tranny is not oxidized (burned) you should not have any problems.. if it is burned some of it's protective properties have been destroyed and you could have problems brewing.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Tranny filter?

Didn't get a book with the truck when I bought it--used. Does the tranny have a filter that has to be changed too? About how much fluid does it take to fill? Truck is 01 dbl cab with 31k.
Ken

·
Registered
11 Posts
i'm interested in this also, and what does a tranny flush consist of. is this something i can do or do you have to go to a dealer?
sorry fot the hijack.
jdub

·
Registered
64 Posts
kperkins said:
Didn't get a book with the truck when I bought it--used. Does the tranny have a filter that has to be changed too? About how much fluid does it take to fill? Truck is 01 dbl cab with 31k.
Ken
It has a filter, but I wouldn't worry about changing it....you can if it makes you feel better. On a normal drain and fill it takes 3-4 qts.

·
I LIVE FOR THIS
1,700 Posts
kperkins said:
Ken
Im taking it a step further by adding a remote oil filter setup from www.summitracing.com. Its a kit made by permacool along with a filter magnet from www.filtermag.com. About a year ago i installed a trd tranny cooler inline with my stock cooler, installed a temp gauge and flushed out the whole system with redline synthetic D4 atf about 20 quarts worth. Some say thats way over kill but i think over kill is good. My 2002 V6 has only 38K but i plan on keeping her for a long time.

·
Registered
11 Posts
i just talked to my dealer, he said there is no point in just draing and refilling since the torque converter will still be full of old oil. a flush is the only way to truely "change" your atf fluid. a flush is around $100 i was told.
jdub

·
Registered
64 Posts
jdub3333 said:
i just talked to my dealer, he said there is no point in just draing and refilling since the torque converter will still be full of old oil. a flush is the only way to truely "change" your atf fluid. a flush is around $100 i was told.
jdub
That is true, however, if you do the drain and fill often, it will be replacing a good bit...frequently. Doing this keeps things semi-fresh inbetween a full flush...not a substitute for flushing :D

·
I LIVE FOR THIS
1,700 Posts
jdub3333 said:
jdub
This is what i did, my buddy helped me flush out my 2002 V6 with some redline D4 synthetic atf about 20 quarts worth. It cost me about $220.00 for two cases of this stuff, its expensive but its worth it. All you do first is drain what ever is in the pan (about 4 qrts worth) then fill it 4 quarts, disconnect the line going back into the tranny from the cooler, stick the hose into a gallion jug and start the truck up, fill the gallion jug till its almost full, turn the truck off, since 4 quarts equals 1 gallion fill the tranny pan with 4 quarts of new stuff, repeat the process till the fluid looks clear comming out of the line, reconnect the cooler line, start the truck up and top off as necessary.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts