TTORA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
always a Toyota lover at heart
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who here has over 150K and have had auto-tranny issues?
I have just over 153K miles and the last service was at 100K, when I had my rear main seal replaced.
I know that I should have drained and refilled the tranny at least once since then, but I have had a lot on my mind.
I guess what I am trying to ask is WHO HAS AN AUTO TRANNY that they have neglected and what has been done to repair it?
I may have just been reminded what can happen if you neglect it, but I a hoping it is a simple fix, maybe just a new switch or solenoid.
Has anyone had to do a complete tranny rebuild or torque convertor replacement????
all comments welcome

·
always a Toyota lover at heart
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was trying to drive it home the other day and the tranny started slipping
My engine would rev up to 3500 rpm and my speedo was just sitting at like 40MPH
I couldn't get it to engage in any gear
I got a CEL and it read P1780, Park/Neutral Safety Switch
I took it to a local auto repair shop and discovered I was very low on fluid and we drained out the old fluid in the pan, it was still RED and not burned, just very low.
We filled it with about 4 quarts of fluid and I gdrove it home with no worries
I tried to drive it around later that night and the tranny started slipping again about 1/2 block down the street where I live.
I called around to several tranny shops and got some quotes on diagnostic services.
I ended up just driving it last night to a local shop to have them look it all over today.
I will post the results as soon as I know anything

·
I LIVE FOR THIS
1,700 Posts
98 Taco said:
Who here has over 150K and have had auto-tranny issues?
I have just over 153K miles and the last service was at 100K, when I had my rear main seal replaced.
I know that I should have drained and refilled the tranny at least once since then, but I have had a lot on my mind.
I guess what I am trying to ask is WHO HAS AN AUTO TRANNY that they have neglected and what has been done to repair it?
I may have just been reminded what can happen if you neglect it, but I a hoping it is a simple fix, maybe just a new switch or solenoid.
Has anyone had to do a complete tranny rebuild or torque convertor replacement????
all comments welcome
Not as of yet but congrats your tranny lasting that long. Im hoping to get at least that many miles before something goes wrong. About six months ago when i was doing my 30K service i completely flushed out the tranny with some redline synthetic D4 (thats what my book calls for) because sometimes i get nervious when it comes to auto trannys. As long as you maintain the tranny when it should be then is no reason it shouldnt last as long as yours did. For me 150K is good if it needs to be repaired.

·
Registered
166 Posts
So far, the trans on my Tacoma has about 180K on it, and still feels fine.

I'm doing the valve body mod and TRD cooler mod in preparation for supercharging.

My friend used Mobil 1 oil, and changed it around 40K intervals. He did a LOT of highway driving at speed, and used the ECT power mode, so I don't imagine the trans shifted too much considering the overall mileage of the truck.

I've floored it, and with the stock engine, shifts at 5000 rpms are quick and firm. I can't wait to see what shifts will be like with the IPT valve body mod.
The trans guy at IPT said the VB mod and cooler should make any auto trans last for a long time. He also said Mobil 1 is a good oil, though he recommends the addition of some type of friciton modifier to it.

-Dave

·
Registered
87 Posts
REd color is no indication of how much life is left inthe fluid.

Next trans go no more than 20K betweeen fluid changes.
You tranny abuser!

·
I LIVE FOR THIS
1,700 Posts
saki302 said:
So far, the trans on my Tacoma has about 180K on it, and still feels fine.

I'm doing the valve body mod and TRD cooler mod in preparation for supercharging.

My friend used Mobil 1 oil, and changed it around 40K intervals. He did a LOT of highway driving at speed, and used the ECT power mode, so I don't imagine the trans shifted too much considering the overall mileage of the truck.

I've floored it, and with the stock engine, shifts at 5000 rpms are quick and firm. I can't wait to see what shifts will be like with the IPT valve body mod.
The trans guy at IPT said the VB mod and cooler should make any auto trans last for a long time. He also said Mobil 1 is a good oil, though he recommends the addition of some type of friciton modifier to it.

-Dave
Wow i guess it is possible to get near 200K on a auto tranny, thats good to know. Do you just drain and fill or do you completely flush out the system? I flushed mine out at 30K with 20qrts of redline D4 and so far so good. Im also running a trd cooler inline with the stock cooler and just recently i added a permacool remote tranny filter setup with a moble one oil filter and a filtermag. I know this is overkill but it seems to be doing fine.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I bought this truck from my friend at 180K.
He did fluid changes (not dealer flushing) around every 40K miles. I'm not sure if he had the dealer flush it once.
Keep in mind the truck wa sbough in 1998, so assuming age affects the fluid as much as wear, the fluid never got all that old between changes.
He used mobil 1. Aside from that, and running in ECT Power mode all the time, nothing else special was done to the trans.

I'm adding a TRD cooler and the IPT VB mod myself.

-Dave

1 - 8 of 8 Posts