TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone -

I've got a '99 Tacoma PreRunner with a V6 and auto trans. It's got close to 70k miles on it. I'm going to be doing a lot of towing this summer (~4000lbs), so I'm thinking that it wouldn't hurt to service the transmission. What do ya'll think?

If I do decide to do it, what all is involved? I've done quite a bit of automotive work (mainly on a Samurai), but I've never messed with an auto trans.

Additionally, what other maintence items do you think I should perform? I have a new timing belt and water pump (mine went out last year about this time). I've also had a tranny cooler put on last year... Other than new front brake pads a couple of months ago, that's all I've had to do to this truck.

Thanks for the input...

- Steve

·
Deal Master
2,775 Posts
TexasA&M said:
Hi everyone -

I've got a '99 Tacoma PreRunner with a V6 and auto trans. It's got close to 70k miles on it. I'm going to be doing a lot of towing this summer (~4000lbs), so I'm thinking that it wouldn't hurt to service the transmission. What do ya'll think?
- Steve
I try to keep things simple- I like to do routine auto tranny drain & refills for my wifes vehicle- BAsically the same thing I do for my manual tranny-

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You have to drop the pan on an auto tranny though to get all of the fluid out. There is also a filter that has to be changed in there (I think). I'm looking for a few more details....

·
Registered
320 Posts
i got the s/c, and a auto, how can i tighten up or strengthen my auto tranny?

·
Registered
185 Posts
TexasA&M said:
Hi everyone -

If I do decide to do it, what all is involved? I've done quite a bit of automotive work (mainly on a Samurai), but I've never messed with an auto trans.

Additionally, what other maintence items do you think I should perform? I have a new timing belt and water pump (mine went out last year about this time). I've also had a tranny cooler put on last year... Other than new front brake pads a couple of months ago, that's all I've had to do to this truck.

Thanks for the input...

- Steve
Our Toyotas don't have a filter that you have to replace every time you want to change the fluid so don't bother taking off the whole pan. There should be a drain plug right there so you can do a drain & refill. But...that will only get like half of the fluid out....the rest is in the torque converter & cooler. To get all of the fluid out you need to undo one of the exit lines coming from the trans cooler. Check out this link for more info...www.4x4wire.com/toyota/maintenance/tacoma_4runner_30k/index.html

Good luck!

·
Registered
240 Posts
For 70K I would change the filter for good measure. It's not difficult at all. If anything get it flushed like the link above states. Run synthetic if you wish, or just keep changing it regularly. I never go over 25K miles on autos, but I am picky and also leary of autos, but that's what I have so I am living with it.

A tranny temp gauge might not be a bad $100 investment so you can keep an eye on things as heat KILLS autos. Also DO NOT tow in overdrive as it will "hunt" for gears all day with 4000 pounds behind it.

·
Wile E. Coyote... Genius.
208 Posts
Do you know where the temp sender goes on the tranny? I do believe I would like to add one before summer.

Also, do you tow with your Taco? How much weight do you tow when you do?

Jody.

·
Wile E. Coyote... Genius.
208 Posts
I left mine draining overnight and got 5 quarts out of it. I have the TRD tranny cooler too. From what I have heard, a stock tranny holds ~7 quarts total including the torque converter. I think I did good.

Jody.

·
Registered
47 Posts
The auto behind the V6 has a metal screen, not a regular paper filter. So the whole filter changing thing is a bit impossible - at least on my 2000. I got 4 quarts out the last time I drained mine. It is probably worth the time to have a shop flush the tranny if they don't charge too much ~$35 for the flush and fill. They have a machine to run the fluid through the system at pressure. Last time I had that done, I immediately drained the fluid from the pan and replaced it with synthetic - worth it? I don't know. But I used the drained fluid in my Jeep, so no money lost.

Good luck,

Daniel

·
Registered
240 Posts
Outback said:
Do you know where the temp sender goes on the tranny? I do believe I would like to add one before summer.

Also, do you tow with your Taco? How much weight do you tow when you do?

Jody.
I haven't added one and probably won't anytime soon as all my toys are sold and have no intention of buying more.

I used to tow a 10' trailer and 2 ATV's regularly. I am guessing 2000 pounds maybe more with gear, cooler, etc. I still didn't think it towed all that great, but if you leave it OUT of OD it cruises at 65-70 easy enough if you want to ride that fast.

Good luck

·
Registered
135 Posts
An Aggie in Austin?

Seriously, I service my 2000 4x4 V6 Auto every other oil change. I get about 4.5 qts out and put in the same. First time you do it you have to be very carefull not to over or under fill it. I even called the dealer concerned that the 2.1 qts quoted in the manual seemed awefull low. He said to expect about 4 to 5 and add 1/4 quart at a time, start it, check it, and add another 1/4. Took forever but it seems to take 4.5 qts in mine. He said all Toyotas he has serviced were like this and different, he has to do this each time.

I used Mobil 1 synthetic ATF and realize it will be several changes before the fluid is mostly M1.

FSM shows the A340E takes 7.6 qts dry and 1.2 drain and refill while the A340F takes 10.7 and 2.1 respectively(E is 2wd while F is 4wd). Assuming the thing actually takes 10.7 and I am getting out 4.5, after the first service I am 42% synthetic, second is 67%, third is 89% and so on.

Personally I no longer agree a flush is a good thing to do to the trans, most mechanics are not trained in it, at least around here. I do not like the machine and how it works. If I found someone who connected to the pump like the link to 4x4wire suggests I may feel differently about it.

My 2 cents.

·
I LIVE FOR THIS
1,700 Posts
TexasA&M said:
Hi everyone -

Thanks for the input...

- Steve
What i did on mine was remove the line going into the tranny from the cooler and had my buddy start the truck and let her flow into a gallon jug. One gallon equals 4 quarts, repeat the process till 20 quarts was used. I flushed it out with redline D4 but check out your manual for proper fluid. Just last week i installed a inline tranny filter with a filter magnet to make filter changes much eaiser.

·
Registered
145 Posts
i have 99 prerunner v6 AT and im going to swap it to 4WD which requires i put in a 4wd transmission anyone know a good place in socal that would be good for this im in redondo beach
thanks

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
shadymilkman said:
i have 99 prerunner v6 AT and im going to swap it to 4WD which requires i put in a 4wd transmission anyone know a good place in socal that would be good for this im in redondo beach
thanks

I've toyed with this idea of doing this as well... Let me know how it goes!

Also, where did you get all of the other parts? tcase, front drive train, etc...

·
I LIVE FOR THIS
1,700 Posts
shadymilkman said:
thanks
If i were you i would do a complete sas vs doing the ifs 4x4 version. Since your in socal check out demello offroad and see what they suggest.

·
Registered
145 Posts
TexasA&M said:
I've toyed with this idea of doing this as well... Let me know how it goes!

Also, where did you get all of the other parts? tcase, front drive train, etc...

i got the front end off someone doing a sas, still looking for a trans, tcase, and front and rear d shaft

·
Registered
460 Posts
thanks for the post about gadget stuff, it answered almost every question i had, except for what is the average price for a flush, filter, and amsoil synthetic atf at the local shop??

1 - 20 of 25 Posts