TTORA Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a 2000 Tacoma PreRunner 6 Cylinder Automatic with about 140K miles on it. Truck has been well maintained overall and runs like a champ. However in the last 6 months to year or so I have noticed in the mornings, once the truck has sit dormant over night, as I start to pull away in 1st gear the engine revs up a little but the speed doesnt match. It doesnt rev very high but it feels like the truck is being held back by something. Then after about 50-100yards or so it seems to kick in gently and drives pretty normal. It never does this during the mid day after I have been driving it around though.

When this first started I thought I would change the ATF fluid to see if it made a difference, but it did not. Same thing, no worse no better. Genuine Toyota ATF. I did not change the filter however, not sure if that could be the culprit? The old ATF fluid did not look that bad to be honest. Also fluid levels are good.

So anyone have any troubleshooting ideas knowing this information what it might be or even what it definitely is not to rule out things?

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Sounds normal to me, my 01 auto needs to be running at idle for about 1-2 mins before the engine starts to warm up and the trans is able to shift like normal. Basically the computer for the trans won't let you shift into 3rd and sometimes 2nd gear until the fluid reaches a certain temp. I turn my truck on, idle for maybe 30-45 seconds, drive for about a 1/4 of a mile or so, and when the coolant temp gauge starts moving on up past the bottle line the truck shifts normal.

you could test my theory by just simply turning your truck on when its cold, idle for about 3 mins, rev the engine a few times then throw her in drive and see if it shift normal.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Shifting is really the issue, the car wont accelerate in 1st gear. I know the cold shifting you are talking about though. That is normal yes. This is different then that.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Shifting is really the issue, the car wont accelerate in 1st gear. I know the cold shifting you are talking about though. That is normal yes. This is different then that.
hmm, that doesn't sound like a warming up problem then. well as long as your fluid level/color is good, not much you can really do other than a rebuild. other option is to buy those auto trans shift kits that run like $500 i think, where they rebuild your valve body and give you stiffer springs for a firmer shift. but its not a 100% guaranty it will fix it. but i'd personally drive her till she gives out on you.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts