TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lookin to see if anyone has any experience with auto transport. Lookin to have a vehicle shipped to me but am up in the air as far as getting it shipped, flying there and driving back or taking a trailer to get it myself(dont have a trailer). Around 900 miles one way. Anybody ever done this or know someone in the biz???

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
I know a guy here on the boards that does that, ron86toy I believe. Really good guy, comes down to ky to wheel sometimes, and went to seto last year

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
I'm pretty sure that the transporters assume no liability for damages. My dad was looking to ship my sisters car from Florida to California but it was cheaper to fly and drive and as I mentioned above, he was told they wouldn't be responsible for any damage.

·
Registered
8,499 Posts

·
Registered
992 Posts
I had my camaro shipped from Montana to Alabama when I moved here... it was expensive but there is no reason for damage, they don't unload the vehicle or anything. Old owner drives it on, new owner drives it off.

·
OnlyHereForTheTires
4,185 Posts
I have to get quotes on moving heavy equipment all over the place all the time at work -- from where, to where are you moving it? I might be able to get some contacts for you to call for LTL (less than truck load) trucks moving around in the next few weeks. I get emails all the time from smaller companies just trying to fill up their trucks before they pull out - makes it cheaper when the cost is shared among a few items/vehicles.

·
Registered
5,474 Posts

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I got a quote this morning for 800 bucks. 900 miles door to door with full insurance. Definately be cheaper to fly and drive, im figuring it would prob take around 450-500 to get plane ticket and fuel for the trip back. Would def be alot less hassle to have it shipped though. decisions decisions lol

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
I got a quote this morning for 800 bucks. 900 miles door to door with full insurance. Definately be cheaper to fly and drive, im figuring it would prob take around 450-500 to get plane ticket and fuel for the trip back. Would def be alot less hassle to have it shipped though. decisions decisions lol
If I was going it I'd take the Megabus from Ktown to Phili for probably 20 or so bucks then drive it back.

oh and i pm'd ya back and sent Ron a msg

·
Registered
143 Posts
I bought my wife's Denali from a dealer in Charlotte and didn't have time to go get it. Long story short, the dealer shipped it down with some other cars for $200 insured. It was shipped with cars going to the auction. You may try and call a local dealer and see if they recommend anyone.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
I'm a fan of the fly and drive method. I did that to Steamboat springs Colorado for my last 2007 Tacoma and got to drive it back in the middle of a blizzard. However, that was with a newer vehicle that was road worthy and under warranty at any toyota dealership nationwide....

If it was an older vehicle, significantly modified vehicle, or maintenance was a question mark on it I would only do it for shorter distances, not 1650 miles or even 900 in your case.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Truck is an 07 with 36xxx miles, maintenance is good but it is pretty modified. I do have an old army buddy that lives 200 miles (on the way) from the starting point so my plan is to drive it there and then go through the truck in his shop. I dont foresee any issues, nor question any of the build quality, but never hurts to be on the safe side. Only other option would be to see if anybody would be willing t "rent" me their trailer so i can haul it back.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Truck is an 07 with 36xxx miles, maintenance is good but it is pretty modified. I do have an old army buddy that lives 200 miles (on the way) from the starting point so my plan is to drive it there and then go through the truck in his shop. I dont foresee any issues, nor question any of the build quality, but never hurts to be on the safe side. Only other option would be to see if anybody would be willing t "rent" me their trailer so i can haul it back.
so you are buying silver seven's truck? I'd be towing or having it transported. Just from what I've followed on the boards regarding that truck, I know LII turns out some nice work but it wasn't really their build initially and with the way he disappeared after the build and the initial issues he had with the rear axle, etc who knows how many miles or how "road tested" the truck is. The 900 miles home might be more miles than it has on it since the swap. If you are getting it then I am super jealous, if it were a 4 door it would have already been in my drive way. I think that truck has a TON of really nice parts in it and once it is sorted (maybe it already is, who knows?) it is going to be a stellar ride.

If I am wrong on the truck then disregard everything I said.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah, it is. The truck has 1500 on it since completion from LII. I understand the hesitance of driving it, but n the other hand ive followed the build on three different boards, here,pirate,and rst. Im not concerned with the build quality jsut for the simple fact that if something is done incorrectly or is garbage, it is quickly pointed out on these forums and I just havent seen anything negative about the actual build quality. The rear axle issue was fixed (wrong shafts style shafts sent and then subsequently installed). Aside from that I dont really see anything to be worried about. But like i said im still not dead set on driving it or trailering it just yet....fortunately ive got options!! But I am super stoked about it non the less. Ive been kickin myself in the butt since i let my 02 go!!!!!

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Yeah, it is. The truck has 1500 on it since completion from LII. I understand the hesitance of driving it, but n the other hand ive followed the build on three different boards, here,pirate,and rst. Im not concerned with the build quality jsut for the simple fact that if something is done incorrectly or is garbage, it is quickly pointed out on these forums and I just havent seen anything negative about the actual build quality. The rear axle issue was fixed (wrong shafts style shafts sent and then subsequently installed). Aside from that I dont really see anything to be worried about. But like i said im still not dead set on driving it or trailering it just yet....fortunately ive got options!! But I am super stoked about it non the less. Ive been kickin myself in the butt since i let my 02 go!!!!!
I have no doubt in the ability of LII nor any doubt in the quality parts that were used to build it. I think any MAJOR issues would have shown up in the first 1500 miles but I'd also say that's about the time that everything will need a good once over for torque, etc before a long drive like that. I am always down for a good adventure but I'd bring my toolbox and have a backup plan! If you commit to driving it and end up having to tow it due to mechanical failure you'll end up spending a lot more improvising to get it home.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts