TTORA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I in the market for a 4x4 Double cab. I would like hear any pros and con about Auto vs Standard Trans. I plan on flat towing behind a motorhome, so one I think Standard would make this easier. My offroad style is mostly exploreing roads, sand dunes at Pismo Beach and light rock crawling. I know for a Auto I will have to get a Drive Shaft Disconnect for towing or just do it myself. I'm not sure how offroad strong the Disconnects are? I know there are a ton of opinions on this board which is also good knowledge. So thanks. Kelly

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
double cab only comes in auto

·
Registered
565 Posts
Uh, I don't think there are any manual double cabs......

·
Registered
4,295 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
01-04 doublecabs only come with the auto tranny. newer ones have the 6spd option. as far as comparisons go, search the forum. this topic has literally been beaten to death around here, i doubt anyone who has good knowledge on the subject feels like regurgitating it again. all the best answers and opinions have already been given, they are out there just search.

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
yes, years 06-07 have a manual trans option for double cabs.

**Geez you all are too fast!
Yeah but he's posting in early Tacoma tech so that doesnt really apply.

·
Registered
98 Posts
You are basically stuck with getting the generation Tacoma unless you are willing to live with an Xtra Cab. They look better in my opinion, but some people need them because of kids etc... You could always look into other types of Toyota's to meet your needs and put on aggressive tires for offroading. This way you wouldn't have to purchase the newer generation Tacoma. It could save you $$$.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is due to larger family, right now we use a Suzuki Sammy. Also I drive a F250 Super Duty and figure with a Double Cab Tacoma I could get rid of both. I like the body style of the early Tacoma with round fender lines. Also the need to flat tow is important. I know with a Auto Trans I will most likely go with a Drive Shaft Disconnect, I'm just sure how strong it will be off road. Thanks for all the replys. Kelly

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
I cant give you any answers but i had a question. Are you talking about towing the Taco behind a RV or towing somthing w/the Taco? Im thinking you saying towing the Taco behind somthing.

Andy

·
Registered
871 Posts
I wouldn't trust a driveline disconnect with any type of wheeling. It seems way too weak to rely on. I would just disconnect it completely. Also you can't flat tow it with the driveshaft connected because the trans output shaft will spin and heat up the bearings, but without the input shaft spinning there is no oil to lubricate and cool those same bearings. This is true with the auto or the manual. The auto has a pump that runs off the input shaft and the manual uses the input and counter shafts to sling the oil all over everything. Thats why Toyota says you can't flat tow any toyota vehicle.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Also you can't flat tow it with the driveshaft connected because the trans output shaft will spin and heat up the bearings, but without the input shaft spinning there is no oil to lubricate and cool those same bearings. This is true with the auto or the manual. The auto has a pump that runs off the input shaft and the manual uses the input and counter shafts to sling the oil all over everything. Thats why Toyota says you can't flat tow any toyota vehicle.
I thought Toyota said that you could flat tow, if you put the t-case in neutral and the tranny in neutral. That way nothing but the wheels should spin while towing.....

Or, am I missing something?

Of course, the 2005-2007 do not have a N for the t-case...:rolleyes

·
Registered
871 Posts
Maybe if the transfer is in neutral, then the transmission won't be turning. I remember hearing it from a Toyota rep, that no vehicles were able to flat tow, but I could be wrong.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts