TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As some of you know, I'm getting ready to convert my 2002 Double Cab PreRunner from auto->manual and 2wd->4wd. (SafetyDang's conversion thread; I come in around page 3.)

For my conversion I plan on swapping my 2002 auto ECU for the 2002 manual ECU. As part of the research, I thought it would be a good idea to compile a list of the wiring differences between the two ECUs. Since I push data around for a living, I took the wiring info from the factory wiring diagrams and the ECU terminal chart and built a simple database to compile this into a table that shows the automatic and manual ECU wiring side by side.

I think it turned out pretty well, although since I haven't reached this part of my conversion yet I can't say with certainty how accurate it is, except that it's as accurate as the data I had available from the factory wiring manual. Anyway, at this point I have a template for doing this, and given the appropriate starting data, it isn't too hard to make similar tables for other auto->manual conversions.

To test this last part, I asked Yotaoffroad27 to send me the wiring diagrams for his 1999 3RZ PreRunner auto->manual conversion, which resulted in this table, similar to my original.

So at this point, I think my template is reasonably solid, and since I appreciate all of the help I've received so far on my own conversions I'd like to give a little back in the form of generating similar tables for other 'Early Tacoma' auto->manual conversions. I don't know if we can cover all of the Early Tacoma years and engines, and I don't want to make this offer so open-ended that I am doing this forever, but maybe I can knock a few of these out now before I start seriously wrenching on my own project in a few weeks.

What I need if you want me to do this for you:

Send me a PM with PDFs of the ECU wiring for both transmissions. The manual ECU wiring appears in the section labeled "Engine Control (engine model number)", and the automatic/ECT wiring appears in a different document labeled "ECT Wiring" (or similar). I need both of these or I can't compile the data. I also need a PDF from the Diagnostics section of the manual that shows the ECU/ECM connectors, similar to the second document I linked to above.

Very important: These documents must be specific to your year Tacoma, or this exercise is worthless. Not all years are available for free on teh interwebs. If yours isn't available, spend $15 on a http://techinfo.toyota.com day pass and download the appropriate diagrams.

Caveats:

1. I am not responsible for any errors. I'll do my best, but ultimately it's on you. Use these tables at your own risk. That's one reason why the wiring colors are included -- always do at least a spot check of the wiring colors before plugging in the new ECU. If connector E6, Pin 1 is supposed to be Black, make sure it is before you plug in the new ECU.

2. I'm doing this for free, and I expect to post the resulting documents so everyone can use them.

3. I AM NOT AN EXPERT, AND I AM NOT GOING TO TROUBLESHOOT YOUR ECU WIRING!! I am compiling data for you to use based on the factory wiring manuals. That's it -- you get what you pay for.

4. I'm willing to put this offer out there for a few weeks, at least until all of my parts arrive and I start wrenching. I have a life, a family, and a job, so I will only work on this stuff as time permits. Now that I have a working template, I think it will take me ~60 minutes or less to hand enter the 65-90 ECU connections and generate a PDF.

5. At this time, I only want to do same year/engine auto vs. same year/engine manual, and I only want to do Early Tacomas (but am willing to do similar model 4Runners if asked).

Any takers?

-Jeff

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

UPDATE 7/6:

All done :D

Current version:
Early_Tacoma_ECUs_v2 is ready for download.

(Right Click, "Save File As...", etc. Total size is 2.7MB)

Feedback and corrections welcome. Enjoy!

-
Previous versions:
Early_Tacoma_ECUs_v1 is ready for download.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
just looked over the PDF you made me. it looks GREAT! only problem i saw was E7 pin 15 the grid said it was "B" witch ment BLACK for the 2 pins before it (12, 13), but E7 pin 15 was PINK w/ a Purple tracer (Violet?). and the only other thing that threw me was apparently "L" means "BLUE". E7 pin 15 looks to be the TAC and does not deal with the transmission swap.

Thanks again for making this for me. it will be a valuable resource in the near future. you da man!:D

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good catch!

just looked over the PDF you made me. it looks GREAT! only problem i saw was E7 pin 15 the grid said it was "B" witch ment BLACK for the 2 pins before it (12, 13), but E7 pin 15 was PINK w/ a Purple tracer (Violet?). and the only other thing that threw me was apparently "L" means "BLUE". E7 pin 15 looks to be the TAC and does not deal with the transmission swap.

Thanks again for making this for me. it will be a valuable resource in the near future. you da man!:D
And THIS is why it's always important to check your work, LOL. Yeah, good catch -- that was a typo on my part. E8, pin 15 should be TAC; E7, pin 15 is EGR. I took another look at the material you sent me and yes, both E7-12 and E7-13 are Black.

I've updated the PDF and re-posted it.

Jeff

·
Registered
757 Posts
You should do a 2002 Tacoma 3RZ Auto Prerunner to manual tranny. Remember there is no 4x4 computer...

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You should do a 2002 Tacoma 3RZ Auto Prerunner to manual tranny. Remember there is no 4x4 computer...
OK, I can do that. I have those diagrams.

-Jeff

·
Registered
757 Posts
Sweet, maybe I need to be seriously looking for a manual ECU now. :D

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK, I've done one for the 2002 3RZ PreRunner auto->manual + 2wd->4wd, based on my 2002 FSM/Wiring guide. I'm assuming you would swap in a 3RZ 4x4 manual ECU, so the finished guide includes the 4x4 wires (of which there are only one or two anyway). FWIW, my FSM only shows one ECT ECU for each engine, so I am pretty sure this is correct, but as always, review this before you cut any wires or connect to power. Let me know what you think, and if you spot any errors.

-Jeff

·
Registered
757 Posts
Is it safe to assume that if you didn't list a pin number for a plug, that location is empty?

I ask because I show the D (B-W) wire going into pin 1 on E6, but you didn't list anything for it on manual or auto. There are other pins missing as well, this is just one I noticed should have a wire.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Is it safe to assume that if you didn't list a pin number for a plug, that location is empty?

I ask because I show the D (B-W) wire going into pin 1 on E6, but you didn't list anything for it on manual or auto. There are other pins missing as well, this is just one I noticed should have a wire.
Yes, I was faithful to the wiring guide, at least as far as I know.

When you say,"I show the D (B-W) wire going into pin 1 on E6," does this mean you see it in your truck doing this, or you see it on paper doing this? If it's in your truck, can you tell me the manufacture date from the door jam sticker? If it's from a book or PDF, can you either tell me your source (and page) or scan it/take a picture of it? I don't mean to sound demanding, but it would really help me if I did get this wrong. If my info is incomplete I'll try to get it right.

Thanks,

-Jeff

·
Registered
757 Posts
It's on this diagram, page 2-

http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/2003/Wiring_Manual/03tacoma/systemci/030ect3r.pdf

The reason I found it was because I was checking to make sure that all the wire mods I did to my park neutral position switch would not be effected should I decide to switch to a manual ECU. As of now, when my clutch is extended, my truck thinks it's in drive (B/W wire coming from the park neutral switch to the computer at pin 1 on E6) so that the cruise control works.

Edit- Now I see that the wire has a splice point and goes to both the cruise ECU and engine ECU, so i guess it doesn't really matter. I'm still curious why pin 1 on E6 isn't shown though...

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's on this diagram, page 2-

http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/2003/Wiring_Manual/03tacoma/systemci/030ect3r.pdf

The reason I found it was because I was checking to make sure that all the wire mods I did to my park neutral position switch would not be effected should I decide to switch to a manual ECU. As of now, when my clutch is extended, my truck thinks it's in drive (B/W wire coming from the park neutral switch to the computer at pin 1 on E6) so that the cruise control works.
;) Take a look at the footer on the PDF you linked to -- that's the 2003 wiring guide. :D There were big changes between the 2002 and 2003 Tacomas -- the 2003 had a drive by wire throttle, which lead to other changes.

I made the 2002 3RZ PDF from my (print) 2002 FSM wiring guide -- same source as the 2003 version you posted, just for the earlier year.

I don't think I have a PDF of the 2002 3RZ wiring guide, just a printed version, but if you want to verify this you can D/L a copy from the http://techinfo.toyota.com site. It's $15 for a two day pass, and you can download as much as your bandwidth will allow.

ADDED: I have the 2002 and 2003 5VZE spreadsheets posted at the top of the thread -- compare them and you'll see how there are some big differences between those two years.

Thanks for reading this as closely as you did -- this is good feedback.

-Jeff

·
Registered
757 Posts
;) Take a look at the footer on the PDF you linked to -- that's the 2003 wiring guide. :D There were big changes between the 2002 and 2003 Tacomas -- the 2003 had a drive by wire throttle, which lead to other changes.

I made the 2002 3RZ PDF from my (print) 2002 FSM wiring guide -- same source as the 2003 version you posted, just for the earlier year.

I don't think I have a PDF of the 2002 3RZ wiring guide, just a printed version, but if you want to verify this you can D/L a copy from the http://techinfo.toyota.com site. It's $15 for a two day pass, and you can download as much as your bandwidth will allow.

-Jeff
Nice, you are on the ball and I appreciate your work. :)

Should I decide to do this I think my existing wiring mods can stay just as they are. The drive wire goes to the cruise ECU, so I'm good there. The reverse wire your diagram says to delete (E5 pin 2) has a splice point at connector IK2, so I'm good there. And the neutral wire for starting the engine actually goes to the starter solenoid, not the ECU, so I'm good there.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No problem. I feel I've benefitted tremendously from your write up, Dang's thread, and especially the resources he linked to within his thread. It's allowed me to just put together a shopping list and feel confident I'm getting the right pieces, which is very nice. Projects are fun, but I spent years blazing a trail with my last project truck. I'm happy to follow someone else's footsteps this time.

It frustrated me that I couldn't find an ECU wiring comparison like the one I've posted, so I made one. Now that I have a template, I think I have an easy way to grind these out from the FSM, so I'm going to try to clear the field, at least until my other parts get here. The wiring isn't as well documented and it seems to scare folks, so let's shine some light on it. :cool:

I have one or two more FSM wiring PDFs I've found in researching my own swap, including the 2003 3RZ you linked to, but hopefully others will step up with source material and we can fill in the other gaps.

Finally, I think Toyota optimized the factory fuel and timing maps differently for the auto vs. the manual transmission vehicles, to meet CAFE requirements (fleet economy) and for emissions. That (and CA emissions) are the main reasons I want to do the ECU swap instead of keeping the auto ECU and tricking the computer. I've had enough of tricking computers :rolleyes: . If I'm going to spend the money to convert this truck to a manual, I want to drive it with the right fuel maps, the right timing maps, and no CELs. Been there, done that.

-Jeff

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
ok so i was lookin over the diagram you made, and was wondering if you go to a manaul ECU why do you need to cut the harness at all?? the manaul ECU isn't looking for anything from those wires... so it seams to me that it wouldn't matter if they where removed or not.... it seems that you can just plug and play and nopt have to do any harness mods

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ok so i was lookin over the diagram you made, and was wondering if you go to a manaul ECU why do you need to cut the harness at all?? the manaul ECU isn't looking for anything from those wires... so it seams to me that it wouldn't matter if they where removed or not.... it seems that you can just plug and play and nopt have to do any harness mods
Good point, but that may or may not be true. I don't know for a fact that the internals of the ECU are blank on those pins, or that a vehicle that once had an automatic but now doesn't won't send some sort of signal, pulse, or voltage over those wires. I mean, just 'cause it shouldn't doesn't mean it won't.

It probably needs further investigation -- if they don't need to be deleted, I can change the wording to indicate that it just isn't used. If you get there first, report back and let me know, OK? :D

Jeff

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Good point, but that may or may not be true. I don't know for a fact that the internals of the ECU are blank on those pins, or that a vehicle that once had an automatic but now doesn't won't send some sort of signal, pulse, or voltage over those wires. I mean, just 'cause it shouldn't doesn't mean it won't.

It probably needs further investigation -- if they don't need to be deleted, I can change the wording to indicate that it just isn't used. If you get there first, report back and let me know, OK? :D

Jeff
yes sr will do!:cool:

·
Registered
158 Posts
This is an incredible offer Jeff. When mine is back on all fours, and I am tackling this issue, I'll be getting you those PDF's. My 4runner is a 1998, but the manual tranny is out of a 1998 Tacoma, does that create a headache for wiring? I have the 1998 manual ECU though.

By delete, you do mean just remove the pin connector from the plug or cut the wire right?

·
Registered
132 Posts

ADDED: I have the 2002 and 2003 5VZE spreadsheets posted at the top of the thread -- compare them and you'll see how there are some big differences between those two years.

-Jeff
Not all the 2003 3RZ engines were throttle by wire. My 2003 Extended cab 4WD 5sp has a good old cable operated 3RZ. I also don't have cruise control, so that might be the difference.

1 - 20 of 104 Posts