TTORA Forum banner

61 - 80 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Cool, thanks.

I've added the 1995.5 3rz and 2004 5vze/3rz tables to the top of the thread. I think I'm down these gaps:

1996 3rz
1997 3rz
1998 3rz Taco (only if different than 1998 4Runner)
1998 5vze Taco (only if different than 1998 4Runner)
2000 3rz
2000 5vze

So either 4 or 6 left, depending.

Once I have the full set, I'll combine things into a single document and add sections for function definitions (they'll be brief) and wire colors.

Thanks for all your help, Enola, johnnyboy, dntsdad, and Yotaoffroad27 - I'm not finished yet, but the end is almost in sight.

Jeff

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Jeff: FYI:

Your 2004 5VZ chart ( file = 2004_Tacoma_5VZ-FE_ECU_swap_wiring.pdf ) is titled '3RZ' rather than '5VZ'.
Thanks -- just the layout text that was wrong, not the data. I'm reusing/improving the template as I go, and I updated the data but somehow skipped the text in the title header. It's now fixed and the incorrect file has been replaced.

::sigh:: Great quality control on my part. :rolleyes:

I only wish I had watermarked these initial releases as drafts, but too late for that now. When I get them all done I'll pull down these preliminary copies and post a single, complete PDF with all of the tables.

-Jeff

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
I added the 2000 Taco 5VZE/3RZ Federal tables, which are the only ones I have for 2000. Apparently in 2000 Toyota had different ECUs for California and Federal spec. motors. If anyone has the diagrams for 2000 California-spec Tacomas, please send them my way and I'll add them to my queue.

Otherwise, I'm down to these:

1996 3rz
1997 3rz
1998 3rz Taco (only if different than 1998 4Runner)
1998 5vze Taco (only if different than 1998 4Runner)

I'm also pulling together a list of the function abbreviations and their (very basic) definitions. If anyone can shed some light on these remaining few definitions I need, I'll wrap that up and post it as well:

D {"Drive" (A/T)?}
ELS (A/T)
ENG+
ENG-
M-
GE01 {camshaft position ground?}
ME01 {another ground?}
ST1-
THO
THOC
WFSE

Five words or less for any of these would be great.

-Jeff

·
Registered
422 Posts
Hey Jeff, Mike from ORS taught me the 1998 4runner auto harness is the same as the manual harness except it has the plugs for the auto tranny. the 4wd taco 5vz 5spd or 4runner 4wd 5spd ecu will plug in and work no problemo. (i will be running that set up, and based on your diagram, it is correct)

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
Hey Jeff, Mike from ORS taught me the 1998 4runner auto harness is the same as the manual harness except it has the plugs for the auto tranny. the 4wd taco 5vz 5spd or 4runner 4wd 5spd ecu will plug in and work no problemo. (i will be running that set up, and based on your diagram, it is correct)
Great, Greg -- thanks! I still want to do a quick spot check "just 'cause", but Mike from ORS is the recognized 5VZ ECU guru, so if he says it's the same I believe him.

-Jeff

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
2000 California spec 5VZ diagrams forwarded to you. It's in the same FSM document as the federal spec version.
Thanks, Enola. Unfortunately, the 2000 FSM wiring diagrams that I have for both 3RZ and 5VZE (which were graciously forwarded to me) only include the Federal ECU wiring, not the California ECU wiring. I looked. I really don't have the CA-spec for 2000 Tacomas. I'll email you copies of what was sent to me so you can see for yourself.

BTW, you have been remarkable at coming up with all of this documentation. Thanks!

Jeff

·
Registered
984 Posts
(Posting so others will know ...)

Jeff - I've forwarded you the 2000 California spec:

- 3RZ / 5VZ ECT wiring diagrams
- 3RZ / 5VZ ECM (Engine Control) wiring diagrams
- 3RZ / 5VZ ECT ECU connector diagrams
- 5VZ ECM connector diagram

I do not have a 3RZ California spec engine ECM connector diagram.

Anyone else out there have a 2000 Cali-spec 3RZ ECM connector / pin diagram? It should appear early in the Repair (diagnostics) manual section of the 2000 FSM.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
Randy,

As I mentioned in my latest email, I think Johnnyboy had previously sent me the "missing" 3RZ pinouts, so I think I'm complete. Thanks again for all your help!! I'll finish these last few and will let you know if I'm still missing any when the dust has settled.

Jeff

·
Registered
984 Posts
... I'm also pulling together a list of the function abbreviations and their (very basic) definitions. If anyone can shed some light on these remaining few definitions I need, I'll wrap that up and post it as well ...
Jeff: Here's my 'ultimate listing of all ECM terminal labels for 1995.5 - 2004'. I've pulled it together from a brute-force search through all the FSM engine control wiring diagrams for both 4- and 6-cylinder Tacos. It only includes labels used for the terminals on the engine control module (ECM) itself.

1995.5 - 2004 Tacoma ECM Terminal Labels

This is a reference listing of Engine Control Module (ECM) terminal labels or names for 1995.5 through 2004 Toyota Tacomas - both 4-cylinder and 6-cylinder. Toyota FSM documentation often uses these labels in describing circuit connections or the 'logical layout' of the engine control wiring scheme.

This data was compiled from FSM engine control wiring diagrams.

These labels do not necessarily or consistently identify a particular physical pin or connector. To identify specific connectors and pins you need to refer to the factory wiring diagrams.

The terminal labels / names varied from 1995.5 through 2004. It is not the case that all labels apply to all ECM's, or that all ECM's have connections associated with all listed labels.

FORMAT for this listing:

The listing is in alphabetical order. Each entry has 3 possible parts or segments.
Name / Function (as listed in FSM) / Component to Which it Connects ECM

If the function associated with a given terminal is 'known' (explicitly listed in FSM) the terminal name and function are listed.

If function is not explicitly explained in the FSM wiring documentation, a '?' is listed, along with the name of the component to which the connection leads from the ECM (in parentheses).

If a label was used in more than one way, or if its apparent meaning is not consistent on all diagrams, it is broken out into multiple entries.

LIST OF ECM TERMINAL LABELS / NAMES:

#10 Injector control output (4-cyl and 5VZ)
#20 Injector control output (4-cyl and 5VZ)
#30 Injector control output (Some 4-cyl)
#30 Injector control output (5VZ)
#40 Injector control output (Some 4-cyl)
#40 Injector control output (5VZ)
#50 Injector control output (5VZ)
#60 Injector control output (5VZ)
4WD Detection switch input to signal whether vehicle is in 4WD
AC1 Input signal from air conditioning magnetic clutch
ACT ? (A/C Amplifier)
ACV ? (VSV for A/C Idle Up)
AF+ Air / Fuel Ratio Sensor - Bank 1 Sensor 1 - input to ECM
AF- ? (Air / Fuel Ratio Sensor - Bank 1 Sensor 1)
AF1+ Air / Fuel Ratio Sensor - Bank 1 Sensor 1 - input to ECM
AF1- ? (Air / Fuel Ratio Sensor - Bank 1 Sensor 1)
AFHT ? (Air / Fuel Ratio Sensor - Bank 1 Sensor 1)
AFL+ Air / Fuel Ratio input signal
AFL- ? (Air / Fuel Ratio Sensor - Bank 1 Sensor 1)
BATT Battery (constant voltage to ECM)
+B Battery power to ECM with ignition switch on
BK Brake / stoplight signal input
CCV ? (VSV for Canister Closed Valve)
CL+ ? (Throttle Control Motor; 2003+ with ETCS-i)
CL- ? (Throttle Control Motor; 2003+ with ETCS-i)
E1 ? (Ground)
E2 ? (Lines leading to Throttle Position Sensor)
E2G ? (Mass Air Flow; MAF)
E3 ? (Mass Air Flow; MAF)
EO1 ? (Ground)
EO2 ? (Ground)
EO3 ? (Ground)
EO4 ? (Ground)
EO5 ? (Ground)
EGR EGR cut control output
ELS ? (10A PANEL fuse, some years up through 2000)
ELS ? (10A TAIL fuse, 2001 onward)
EVG ? (Mass Air Flow, MAF)
EVP ? (VSV for Vapor Pressure Sensor - some 4-cyl's)
EVP ? (VSV for EVAP - some 4-cyl's)
EVP1 ? (VSV for EVAP - 2RZ, some 3RZ's, some 5VZ's)
EVP1 ? (VSV for Vapor Pressure Sensor - Some 5VZ's)
FC ? (Circuit Opening Relay)
FPU Fuel pressure up output
G ? (Distributor - 4 cyl)
G RPM signal from Camshaft Position Sensor
G+ RPM signal from Camshaft Position Sensor (5VZ)
G- ? (Distributor - 4 cyl)
G- ? (Camshaft Position Sensor - 4 cyl)
G2 RPM signal from Camshaft Position Sensor
G2+ RPM signal from Camshaft Position Sensor
GE01 ? (Lines tying into Throttle Control Motor circuit)
HAF1 ? (Air / Fuel Ratio Sensor - Bank 1 Sensor 1)
HAFL ? (Air / Fuel Ratio Sensor - Bank 1 Sensor 1)
HTAF1 ? (Air / Fuel Ratio Sensor - Bank 1 Sensor 1)
HT1 Heated O2 sensor heater control output
HT1B Heated O2 sensor heater control output - Bank 1 Sensor 2
HT2B Heated O2 sensor heater control output - Bank 1 Sensor 2
HT2 Heated O2 sensor heater control output
HTAF1 ? (Air / Fuel Ratio Sensor - Bank 1 Sensor 1)
HTS Heated O2 sensor heater control output - Bank 1 Sensor 2
IDL Throttle valve fully closed signal
IDLO ? (Cruise Control ECU / Actuator)
IGF ? (Igniter)
IGSW ? (7.5A IGN fuse)
IGSW ? (7.5A IGN fuse and Circuit Opening Relay)
IGT Ignition timing output to Igniter
IGT1 Ignition timing output to Igniter (5VZ)
IGT1 Ignition timing output to Igniter No. 1 (4-cyl)
IGT2 Ignition timing output to Igniter (5VZ)
IGT2 Ignition timing output to Igniter No. 2 (4-cyl)
IGT3 Ignition timing output to Igniter (5VZ)
IGT3 Ignition timing output to Igniter No. 3 (4-cyl)
IGT4 Ignition timing output to Igniter No. 4 (4-cyl)
KNK Knock sensor input
KNK1 Knock sensor input from Knock Sensor 1
KNK2 Knock sensor input from Knock Sensor 2
L4 Lo-4 / L4 Detection Switch
M+ ? (Throttle Control Motor; 2003+ with ETCS-i)
M- ? (Throttle Control Motor; 2003+ with ETCS-i)
ME01 ? (Ground)
MREL ? (EFI Relay)
NE RPM signal - Crankshaft Position Sensor
NE+ RPM signal - Crankshaft Position Sensor
NE- RPM signal - Crankshaft Position Sensor
NSW ? (Ignition switch / starter relay circuit)
OX1 Heated Oxygen Sensor input signal Bank 1 Sensor 1
OX1B Heated Oxygen Sensor input signal Bank 1 Sensor 2
OX2B Heated Oxygen Sensor input signal Bank 1 Sensor 2
OX2 Heated Oxygen Sensor input signal Bank 1 Sensor 2
OXS Heated Oxygen Sensor input signal Bank 1 Sensor 2
PRG ? (VSV for EVAP)
PSSW ? (Power Steering Oil Pressure Switch)
PSW ? (Power Steering Oil Pressure Switch)
PTNK ? (Vapor Pressure Sensor)
RSC ? (Idle Air Control Valve; IAC)
RSD ? (Idle Air Control Valve; IAC)
RSO ? (Idle Air Control Valve; IAC)
SDL ? (Data Link Connector 3; DLC3)
SIL ? (Data Link Connector 3; DLC3)
SP1 Vehicle speed sensor input
STA Starter (cranking) signal input
STA Clutch Start Switch or P/N Position Switch (some years)
STP Brake / stoplight signal input
TAC Tachometer connection
TBP ? (VSV for Pressure Switching Valve)
TC ? (Data Link Connector 3, DLC3)
TE1 ? (Data Link Connector 1; DLC1)
TFN ? (Detection Switch for Transfer / Neutral Position - 4WD)
THA Intake air temperature input from Intake Air Temp Sensor
THG ? (EGR Gas Temperature Sensor)
THW Engine coolant temperature Think of it as 'Temperature: Hot Water'
TPC ? (VSV for EVAP (some 2RZ's; some 5VZ's) )
TPC ? (VSV for Vapor Pressure Sensor (some 2RZ's, 3RZ, some 5VZ's))
TPC ? (Mass Air Flow meter; MAF (Some 5VZ's))
VC ? (Throttle position sensor)
VCC ? (Throttle position sensor)
VG Intake air volume from MAF
VPA ? (Accelerator Position Sensor; 2003+ with ETCS-i)
VPA2 ? (Accelerator Position Sensor; 2003+ with ETCS-i)
VTA Throttle valve opening angle
VTA2 ? (Throttle Position Sensor; 2003+ with ETCS-i)
W Malfunction Indicator Lamp; MIL; CEL indicator
WFSE ? (Data Link Connector 3, DLC3)

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
AWESOME!

Great list, Enola! I like yours better than mine, and will include yours in the "final" document. Thanks!!!

Speaking of which: it's almost ready. I am almost done with the 1996 3RZ tables and hope to have those posted shortly, leaving just the 1997 3RZ left do to. I'll then re-generate the ones I've already made, format them consistently, add some other pages with the above definitions and wiring colors, etc. My goal is to make this a Very Useful Document -- a one stop shop for early Tacoma ECU pinout questions. :D

For the record, the 1995.5 - 1997 ECUs are hard to figure out because the scheme used for labeling the pinouts in the FSM changes between the ECM and the ECT-ECM diagrams. A pin might be labeled as B-21 in the ECU chart, and this maps to E7-pin 21, but on the ECT-ECM chart, B-21 maps to E6-pin 21. For anyone playing along at home, the mapping looks like this (1996 3RZ example, others similar but --ha ha!-- not identical):

/-- ECU Wiring Diagram --/
Connector = "A" ; "E5";
Connector = "D" ; "E5";

Connector = "E" ; "E6";

Connector = "B" ; "E7";
Connector = "F" ; "E7";

Connector = "C" ; "E8";
Connector = "G" ; "E8"

/-- ECU-ECT Wiring Diagram --/
Connector = "A" ; "E5";
Connector = "B" ; "E6";
Connector = "C" ; "E7";
Connector = "D" ; "E8"

It's like this for all the 1995.5-97 diagrams. Fun times, fun times. :rolleyes:

Jeff

·
Registered
984 Posts
Thanks, guys ... Compiling the functional-level descriptive labels turned into a major project. Some of the names appear / disappear at various times (for different ECM applications, etc.). For example, there was one that was renamed 3 times in the space of 4 or 5 years.

The idea was to offer a single fused reference list that:

- allowed someone to cross-compare different wiring diagrams based on functions rather than specific connectors / pins
- provided a basis for free-form inference on what should and should not be 'in play' for a particular configuration
- correlated with the terminology most consistently used on smaller wiring illustrations in the FSM diagnostic sections
- told the reader what a connection was 'for'
- if the reader couldn't be told what the connection was 'for', he could at least be advised where that wire led to ...

·
Registered
984 Posts
AWESOME!
... For the record, the 1995.5 - 1997 ECUs are hard to figure our because the scheme used for labeling the pinouts in the FSM changes between the ECM and the ECT-ECM diagrams. ...
I know what you mean ... I've seen places where the factory wiring documentation takes more time to decipher what pins are being referenced than decipher where things lead.

In some cases, the connector / pin designations aren't consistently referenced on both sides of a connection or on both ends of a line (e.g., the connectors on a 'box' itself versus connectors / pins on the harness attaching to the 'box').

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
Early Tacoma ECUs, v1 ready for download!

Thanks for your help, everyone -- v1 of the "complete" early Tacoma ECU wiring table document is ready for download:

Early_Tacoma_ECUs_v1

(Right Click, "Save File As...", etc. Total size is 2.7MB)

Thanks especially to Yotaoffroad27, Johnnyboy, and EnolaGaia for your feedback and contributions -- it would not have happened without the influx of wiring diagrams Johnnyboy and Enola provided. I am also endebted to Enola for the the ECU function abbreviation definitions and wire color legends. Thanks!!

Feedback and corrections welcome. :)

Enjoy!

-Jeff

·
Registered
262 Posts
Man!!!!........Lots of great information and surely LOTS of boring work!!!

All of which it much appriciated today and for countless people searching this in the years to come.

Hats off to you sir!!!

Starting my conversion chart for my own right now using some of this.

Any chance to could post up a blank spreadsheet that you used before saving it into PDF format. I could make my own in Excel, but I really like the way yours is laid out.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
Thanks!

I didn't do this in Excel, so I can't give you a spreadsheet per se, but I can give you a PDF of a blank worksheet:

Blank ECU wiring worksheet.

Glad you like the finished document,

Jeff

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
I'm a little confused with the 2002 5VZ AT to MT. With the conflict it seems as though I should just swap them over. Also any updates on the Oil vs CCV. If the Oil is only AT then it will not be swapped over. Then the MT CCV wire must go to the "VSV for Canister Closed Valve" This is all I could find for now regarding the CCV

http://www.ncttora.com/FSM/2003/Repair_Manual/03tacoma/sf5vzfe/vfccv/insp.pdf

http://www.myacrobatpdf.com/9053/to...e-emission-control-system-leak-detected.html#

I assume it has to be wired to that some how.

Good job Jeff!

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
I'm a little confused with the 2002 5VZ AT to MT. With the conflict it seems as though I should just swap them over. Also any updates on the Oil vs CCV

Good job Jeff!
Thanks.

Yeah, I'm still puzzled on this as well. The OIL is the trans oil temp sensor/warning circuit, which is A/T only, but what puzzles me is the circuit that's supposed to be responsible for the CCV on the A/T -- if that pin is being used by the ECU for the OIL sensor, then which ECU pin is controlling the CCV? I don't have an answer yet. The added irony is that the analysis shows there are only a very few conflicts out of the entire multi-year span of transmissions and ECUs that share the same connectors. Just my luck one of those is my year :rolleyes:

At this point I don't have a ready answer for this, other than the possibility that the FSM wiring diagram is wrong. (FWIW, my hard copy of the 2002 FSM Wiring Guide does have a corrected ECU wiring page inserted at the beginning of the section, so mistakes of this sort are possible.) I'm still planning on doing this as an ECU swap, and since I think I'll get to mine before you get to yours, Dang, I'll let you know what I find.

Jeff

61 - 80 of 104 Posts