TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 V6 Automatic Extra-Cab 4X4 Non-TRD Tacoma.

I have owned it for almost a year and a half. I bought it with 14,000 miles on it and it is in excellent condition still with 34,000 miles. The only thing I have noticed that I hate is it has the worst shifting automatic transmission.

At times it seems to shift just fine, other times it seems to give a firm and quick shift into 2nd and third (going into third is the firmest)...I took it in to Toyota and they said it was normal. The firm shifting only seems to be an issue if I step on the pedal. If I drive lightly it seems to shift smooth. Anyone else with this issue?

JC

·
Registered
552 Posts
Interex said:
I've never driven an auto transmission that shifted smoothly when I mashed on it.
X2 , Very true!

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
drop a level 10 or ipt valve body upgrade in it and youll really feel firm shifts

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Sounds like it is shifting fine to me......mine is exactly the same.......only I have 171k.

What exactly is the problem you have with it? Do you want it to shift softer or what??

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
Soft shift = bad and firm shift = good in my mind at least. I have to say my Toy auto is one of the best factory automatics I have driven. It is not that soft of a shift like the for e40d witch feels like it is sliding into gear. The faster the clutch packs engainge and disinage the better, this keeps them from sliding on each other a lot saveing wear and heat. Also you should have a ect button on your dash it will change the shift points slightly and firm up the shifts a bit. It says it is for towing but I kind of like it just driving around.

·
Registered
552 Posts
That ECT button is also for a smoother shifting tranny when taking off at a faster pace like onto a freeway. It will make the tranny shift at a higher RPM so that you can merge into traffic without it shifting or hesitating on take off. Works great!

·
Registered
552 Posts
Full_Tilt_Fud said:
My ECT button really mekes no difference in the way my trans shifts. :confused:
If it doesn't make a difference then you have a problem..... Try this.... take off from a dead stop at a good pace and wind out as if you were merging into traffic and in a hurry to keep up with the flow....... Now do it again the same way but this time have the button pushed in and make sure it's on by the light indicator. You will see that it doesn't shift as fast and you will get to higher RPM's before it does shift meaning no hesitation when your In a hurry. It's also great when your climbing a steep grade or long mountain or pulling something as was mentioned by ohio03trdtaco, Mike

·
Registered
351 Posts
Mike-in-WV said:
If it doesn't make a difference then you have a problem..... Try this.... take off from a dead stop at a good pace and wind out as if you were merging into traffic and in a hurry to keep up with the flow....... Now do it again the same way but this time have the button pushed in and make sure it's on by the light indicator. You will see that it doesn't shift as fast and you will get to higher RPM's before it does shift meaning no hesitation when your In a hurry. It's also great when your climbing a steep grade or long mountain or pulling something as was mentioned by ohio03trdtaco, Mike
X2
Mine makes a very noticeable difference in shifting.

·
---------------
3,569 Posts
jc_2002 said:
I have a 2002 V6 Automatic Extra-Cab 4X4 Non-TRD Tacoma.

I have owned it for almost a year and a half. I bought it with 14,000 miles on it and it is in excellent condition still with 34,000 miles. The only thing I have noticed that I hate is it has the worst shifting automatic transmission.

At times it seems to shift just fine, other times it seems to give a firm and quick shift into 2nd and third (going into third is the firmest)...I took it in to Toyota and they said it was normal. The firm shifting only seems to be an issue if I step on the pedal. If I drive lightly it seems to shift smooth. Anyone else with this issue?

JC
Sounds completely normal to me. X2 on the ECT button!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Well...in my mind it seems like the "transition" into third gear should be smoother than it is. I suppose it comes down to simply a preference....but I feel it should be smoother.....like my Sienna. I know it's not a Sienna but that transmission is silky smooth no matter how you drive it.

BTW....I test drove a 2006 Tacoma and it shifts smooth...why the major difference between a 2002 and 2006 model?

JC

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Mike-in-WV said:

Well I guss I should not have said no difference........minimal difference would have been more accurate........the only thing that is different is the 1-2 shift comes at a higher speed (not very much though) the rest of the shifts are almost the exact same...........I think the "problem" is me........I have a heavy foot and because of that I am in the throttle alot which causes the truck to hold it's shifts whether it is in ECT or not.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Todd, A heavy foot was always my problem too but over the years I have slowed down some and found that it not only saves gas , wear and tear on my truck and body but it sure makes for a nicer ride . Don't get me wrong , I don't drive like the Grandpa I am but I just learned to drive smoother on takeoffs and to allow my truck to shift into 3 before I reach 70-75 on the freeway :) Life is way to short not to take time and smell the Roses when you can. Like the title from one of Alabama's songs "I'm in a hurry and don't know why", Mike

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
I here you!!!

I don't get excessive or crazy.....it is just when I drive I DRIVE....if the speed limit is 55 I go 55 not 10 under........I have had my truck 3.5 years and put 100k on it so it don't sit still very often....... and anymore around here you sort of have to have a heavy foot or you will be ran over LOL.

·
Retired
4,641 Posts
jc_2002 said:
Well...in my mind it seems like the "transition" into third gear should be smoother than it is. I suppose it comes down to simply a preference....but I feel it should be smoother.....like my Sienna. I know it's not a Sienna but that transmission is silky smooth no matter how you drive it.

BTW....I test drove a 2006 Tacoma and it shifts smooth...why the major difference between a 2002 and 2006 model?

JC
The Sienna is likely programmed for the smoothest power transfer, and a lot of it comes down to matching the engine and transmission. The other focus is transmission design, with factors like line pressure, accumulators, and so on. The Tacoma's transmission is probably tuned for higher line pressures for stronger engagement and holding power when off-road, towing, and other truck stuff.

Perhaps the 4.0 V6 is better matched for its transmission.

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
AK98Taco said:
The Sienna is likely programmed for the smoothest power transfer, and a lot of it comes down to matching the engine and transmission. The other focus is transmission design, with factors like line pressure, accumulators, and so on. The Tacoma's transmission is probably tuned for higher line pressures for stronger engagement and holding power when off-road, towing, and other truck stuff.

Perhaps the 4.0 V6 is better matched for its transmission.

the 4.0 is also mated to a 5 speed auto where as the 3.4 is mated to a 4 speed meaning the the ratio's are closer together on the 4.0 trans so there is less rpm drop with every shift :2cents:

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Full_Tilt_Fud said:
the 4.0 is also mated to a 5 speed auto where as the 3.4 is mated to a 4 speed meaning the the ratio's are closer together on the 4.0 trans so there is less rpm drop with every shift :2cents:
and the fact his 2002 auto trans was deisgned back in 1995 :rolleyes:
2005 >>>> 1995 technology is your friend

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
yeah that too.........and isn't it very similar to the auto used behind the 3.slows in the older pickup's???

It had to shift hard to get that motor up and moving LOL

1 - 20 of 20 Posts