TTORA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats your opinions about a automatic trans vs. standard, I wanted a standard shift but only see people selling automatics over here. What do you all prefer, im sure the standard has more power yes?

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Burt said:
Whats your opinions about a automatic trans vs. standard, I wanted a standard shift but only see people selling automatics over here. What do you all prefer, im sure the standard has more power yes?
standards have better power transfer. meaning more power to the wheels.

also, if you ever S/C your truck, the manual will take it better than the auto

not to mention, installing a new clutch is something you can do in your garage... whereas tuning a torque converter, or re-valving the auto is something you'll have to pay for.

the only reason i see to get an auto would be if its a 4cyl car that you'll be driving in that god aweful traffic that so cal is known for.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Real men drive Manual. If you bust up your manual its cheaper to fix(most of the time) than an Automagic is.

·
Registered
5,490 Posts

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
I would say that this can not be a serious question, but it IS in the Noob folder.
Getting a auto has probably only one advantage to having a manual. You will always know where the weakest link in your truck is at all times! There are so many reasons not to get a vehicle with an automatic transmission, the least of wich is that you may decide that YOU actually want to drive the thing (i.e. choose the RPM's to run and shift at, use different parts of the powerband, apply power as you choose) not just have it make all the decisions for you.
As has been mentioned, the maintenance on a manual tranny is well within the aptitude of most relitively handy people - with the kicker being that the manual will require much maintenance in the long haul anyway. Efficiency is much lower through the auto - they don't call it a SLUSH BOX for nothing!!!

I could go on and on, but the fact is - YES, in many places it is harder to find a truck with a manual tranny than others. My belief is that this is because people who drive manual trucks are just more apt to do their own maintenance, etc. on the truck and probably hand on to them forever.

The point is wait around until you find a manual or you won't even have a vehicle worth driving in my book.

·
Registered
4,296 Posts
the only nice thing about an auto is you only have 2 pedals to work instead of three, which is nice if you have to stop on an uphill or something like that. But even then, once you get used to a clutch it's not that bad. I've never owned an auto and probably never will.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Manual....end of story

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
YEAH, I have a racecar and all my vehicles are manual, lol just was hoping to see some benefits in a automatic. Honestly in the long run I probably would install a supercharger since all my vehicles are turbocharged

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Auto's are great for commuter cars, especially in traffic. And a lot of newer auto's are actually getting better gas mileage than their manual counter-parts.... bu for a truck you're going to use (ie.. haul shit, wheel ect.) manual is the only choice IMO.

·
Premium Member
12,213 Posts
I like the automatic on my truck, because it is easier to yank a load or a boat, and not worry about frying a clutch. I'm not saying that it's impossible, but it is easier, especially on the loading ramp.

Manual tranny's get better fuel mileage, and more hp, not to mention less parts can go wrong and you can fix it yourself.

If you do get a Auto, a tranny cooler and a gauge goes a long way.

-Phill

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
NorcalPR said:
I like the automatic on my truck, because it is easier to yank a load or a boat, and not worry about frying a clutch. I'm not saying that it's impossible, but it is easier, especially on the loading ramp.

Manual tranny's get better fuel mileage, and more hp, not to mention less parts can go wrong and you can fix it yourself.

If you do get a Auto, a tranny cooler and a gauge goes a long way.

-Phill
Yeah, it's easier.. but what man have you ever met that wants to do things the easy way? :cool:

Just kidding... but honestly, when you drive a stick every day, it becomes just as easy as driving an auto. People like to joke about needing a third leg and shit, its simply not true, just takes a little practice and a little skill.

·
Registered
4,296 Posts
I remember the first time I ever drove a manual...I was 14 and had never driven before and my dad parked the truck on a steep ass hill and told me to trade seats with him and drive. I stalled a few times, and then burned out for about 300ft on the 3rd try. Now, I hate driving anything other than a manual. Once you get used to it, it's nothing. People complain about manuals when they're stuck in traffic, but it doesnt bother me at all.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
YoTRacer158 said:
I remember the first time I ever drove a manual...I was 14 and had never driven before and my dad parked the truck on a steep ass hill and told me to trade seats with him and drive. I stalled a few times, and then burned out for about 300ft on the 3rd try. Now, I hate driving anything other than a manual. Once you get used to it, it's nothing. People complain about manuals when they're stuck in traffic, but it doesnt bother me at all.

What you need are manual hubs.. in traffic, I just kick it into low 2 and crawl along. :D

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
I actually have a hard time driving an auto at first when I get in. I'll push the gas down, let off and stab the brakes. Not cool when crossing traffic. Never owned an auto, never care to.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
I read a lot of mags and watch a lot of shows a month and there is a slioght edge on auto's over standards whern people are truly "building" a truck. I wouldn't change my auto for anything. Torgue convertor as mentioned earlier is an easy fix. Either way still gotta drop the tranny

Tim

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
02tacotim said:
I read a lot of mags and watch a lot of shows a month and there is a slioght edge on auto's over standards whern people are truly "building" a truck. I wouldn't change my auto for anything. Torgue convertor as mentioned earlier is an easy fix. Either way still gotta drop the tranny

Tim
I can see that in a rockcrawler maybe, but other than that, I don't buy it.

·
Registered
13,296 Posts
StemsCornfedTaco said:
Real men drive Manual. If you bust up your manual its cheaper to fix(most of the time) than an Automagic is.
Well thank god I'm not a man then... (Viva la difference!)

Automatics are pretty shaweet to wheel in. I can tell you I have never stalled my truck 5 million times while trying to go up a nasty obstacle. But ribbing aside, having an automatic did finally top out for me while doing pritchett this past fall. I could not control my power quite like I could have if I were in a manual. If you are planning to wheel your rig on some nasty stuff, consider that at some point your automatic will likely hold you back.

So instead of saying a blanket statment like "Real Women Drive 4 Runners instead of Taco's..." (LMAO) At least I explain why... *smirk*

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
501 Posts
Lysmachia said:
Well thank god I'm not a man then... (Viva la difference!)

Automatics are pretty shaweet to wheel in. I can tell you I have never stalled my truck 5 million times while trying to go up a nasty obstacle. But ribbing aside, having an automatic did finally top out for me while doing pritchett this past fall. I could not control my power quite like I could have if I were in a manual. If you are planning to wheel your rig on some nasty stuff, consider that at some point your automatic will likely hold you back.

So instead of saying a blanket statment like "Real Women Drive 4 Runners instead of Taco's..." (LMAO) At least I explain why... *smirk*
I'm with Molly on this pretty much! lol! Except I don't think my automatic will hold me back anymore than a manual would in a different situation and I'd have to argue the 4runner instead of tacoma statement. :D

I was a die hard stick driver since the day I got my license. I use to always say I'd never get an automatic! Then life interrupted and I was told I should be driving automatics. At first I missed my manual but as I learned to *really* drive and work the automatic I'm finding I'm really liking it out on the trail! My main prob has been learning to have a soft foot instead of a lead one. :p The power I miss is mainly city driving and the off the line get up and go.

I think a lot of it comes down to your driving style, the type of trails you'll run, and personal preference. Both have their advantages and disadvantages.

·
Premium Member
12,213 Posts
Eztrog88 said:
Yeah, it's easier.. but what man have you ever met that wants to do things the easy way? :cool:

Just kidding... but honestly, when you drive a stick every day, it becomes just as easy as driving an auto. People like to joke about needing a third leg and shit, its simply not true, just takes a little practice and a little skill.
Yeah, if I didn't haul loads and yank my boat, I'd be drivin a stick. I love drivin manual trannies over auto's anyday. Even in the traffic I prefer a manual tranny. Just give yourself some space, and let the clutch out on 1st gear.

What's even better bout manual trannies, you change your brake pads less!

-Philly

1 - 20 of 76 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.